Hot Dogs!

2 Likes

That was a weird list, besides no #1, because it was all about toppings and not the meat makeup of the weiners, for the most part.

1 Like

While I have done some pretty crazy hot dogs that take way too much time that were really good, My toppings for the most part are:

1.) Mustard, chili, onions, cheddar, and sometimes pepperoncini.
2.) Mustard, sweet relish, and onions.
3.) Mustard, and dill pickle chips.

Not a fan of any tomato product on my doggies (that means you Chicago).

As for the dog and the cook… my favs are Miller’s and Hempler’s (but can’t find Hempler’s anymore in the local Safeway - so sad). I rarely buy cased dogs (but prefer them steamed or simmered). For the caseless Miller’s/Hempler’s, I put a bunch of shallow slits into two sides of the dog with a pairing knife, and either pan fry or grill. And for the Miller’s Colossal dogs I’ll also butterfly them, cook both sides, and place them cut side up in the bun to help hold the toppings.

Jeez… I’m making cheesesteaks tonight but wish I had some hot dogs!

3 Likes

Agree about Miller’s.

1 Like

264 posts, and no-one has mentioned Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur in Reykjavík.

Are they worth the 7-hour direct flight from Seattle? Absolutely not. If you find yourself in Reykjavík, must you go there? Absolutely. And be sure and order the orange soda.

3 Likes

Full Disclosure: I’ve never either one. But $1.38 for one without having to take out a membership to try sounds like a good deal to me.

3 Likes

I’ve never had a Sam’s Club hot dog, but I’ve had the Member’s Mark franks they use for them. It’s been a few years because 3 pounds of those is more than I really want to purchase, but as I recall, they were pretty good. Never had Costco’s.

2 Likes

That article says you need a Costco membership to get a hot dog. That’s not accurate.

Food court is open to the public.

3 Likes

Some Costcos restrict entry without membership card. Anyone can buy drugs.

And alc

And alcohol, but only in certain states (same with drugs).

And that’s how you get “inside” if the food court is located inside of a Costco.

1 Like

Due to the alcohol selling laws in NYC, our Costco in Astoria sold alcohol from a separate space with its own entrance. I don’t think you needed to show a member card to buy booze.

1 Like

BITD, the Best. Telegraph Ave in Oakland, just a stroll from Tech High and across from Hooper’s Candy.

4 Likes

Still find only natural casing dogs to be really great. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! Gotta have that snap. My local Albertson’s sells Hoff;. otherwise the only other option is at Whole Foods, which I find not worth the trek unless I’m in the area. Just Gulden’s brown mustard and warmed sauerkraut usually; sometimes I’ll add some pickles and/or cherry peppers. :+1:

4 Likes

I prefer natural casings, too. Hard to find. Boar’s Head makes them, and I did find Feltman’s once at a Fresh Market. A (sadly, now closed after decades) deli near me used to sell them individually - still strung together. Plus the deli hot dog rolls. Heaven.

Interesting. I started to edit the blank post above last night but got distracted. This morning it was still there, unfinished, but the software said it was too long and couldn’t be finished. I hit ‘discard’ and the edit screen went away …… taking with it then original post. No clue if I could have saved it.

I never knew the food court was open to all, but as far as getting “inside” they probably don’t care if you are inside w/o a card, because at the cash registers, they won’t let you buy anything without showing the card. At least at mine. They check at the entrance and they check at the register.

My Costcos care a lot … always make me show my card upon entry. I think if you don’t have a membership, you can go to the counter and they will issue you a day pass.

Same - but my food court and the customer service are at the exit not entry. And they neither check cards there nor stop anyone from entering there. In other words, I guess I’m trying to say that even if you end up in the store not having shown a card, they will require one to buy anything besides food court.

We have them 2x/year in Asheville.

I had Marketside Jumbo Uncured Fully Cooked Angus Beef Franks recently. That’s a Walmart store brand, and I was thinking they might be the same as the Member’s Mark franks I posted about earlier in the thread. They’re similar but I don’t think they’re exactly the same. It’s been a long time since I’ve had the Member’s Mark, so I could be wrong about that. I thought they were good, not as good as I remember the Member’s Mark being. They have some snap. I’m not sure what the casing is. I don’t think it’s natural, but it’s a fair imitation.

Not sure if this link will show up right. It seems to depend on whether the particular Walmart you get directed to has them in stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marketside-Jumbo-Uncured-Fully-Cooked-Angus-Beef-Franks-16-oz-4-Count/840884039

2 Likes