Hot Dogs!

https://sabrett.com/consumers/retail/

1 Like

I just called Sabrett. They said the Shoprite where I shop every week carries them, they don’t. They suggested I “look around”. I guess that’s what passes for customer service these days. Thanks for trying!

2 Likes

Hi Zackly - I gottem most recenty at the Safeway on College Ave Berkeley/Oakland area. That’s a big chain out this way and not an especially fancy supermarket. I just don’t know what stores you have but maybe just try a big “regular” supermarket. Scott’s link looks good, it’s accurate for these parts anyways. It’s worth the effort they are tasty!

1 Like

Superdawg is special.

tasteofchicago.com does ship out a nice chicago dog kit if you’re feeling it, or as a gift. Lou Malnati’s pies too, pretty cheap all things considered.

Roadfood buddy Chicago Style Dog (Mark Reitman) works (maybe worked)
out of the Vienna Beef factory store as a brand representative.
He had alot to do with hot dog university.

He doesn’t post on FB on our Fans of Roadfood page so I haven’t talked to him for awhile.
He and wife lived in Racine. He came out here on a scouting trip and we bopped around town.
Cool guy :sunglasses:

1 Like

i gotta get some of those vienna beef w jalapeno + cheese inside dogs they show there

2 Likes

Yes, please! With a Jarritos mandarin!

3 Likes

I’d love to find those. Pinks in la does a jalapeño dog it’s quite nice really. My favorite jarritos are pina and mango. The tamarind one is great too. But yeah your combo would work nicely !

1 Like

Oh my gosh, Miller’s foot long hot dogs were the ones we ate for hot dog day in elementary school. I thought they were perfectly balanced in flavoreven as a young squirt. Later Casper’s/Kasper’s and Top Dog entered my realm.

3 Likes

I ate many, many Top dogs while a student at Berkeley! :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog:

3 Likes

I went back to top dog a few weeks ago. The dog quality still there. Personally I would enjoy it more with a bun (than the bread) but harder to load all the “free” kraut etx that way if u like a lot.

The cafe durant across the street is a family favorite for the crepes and breakfast/Mexican all day

3 Likes

Boars Head natural casing hot dogs are pretty readily available in my ‘hood. I recently bought some Feltman’s natural casing - they were wonderful, but the store hasn’t had any since. I see they can be ordered online. The best place for natural casing kosher dogs was a deli that closed a couple of years ago. They were still strung together. They also had the challah-like buns that used to be served with them if you went to an old fashioned deli- here, in those delis (which are all gone now) - they would grill a slice of bologna and wrap it around the hot dog. Had to accompany it with a half-sour (i.e not brined long) kosher dill spear.

3 Likes

Bologna wrapped hot dogs with a half sour? I’m in heaven!

4 Likes

Top Dog on Durant, Blondies on the Ave and Casa de Eva and La Tolteca for my Me xican fix. Oh, the 70’s in Berzerkeley. :heartbeat:

4 Likes
1 Like

There’s a place in Glen Bernie, Maryland, known and loved by locals for their footlongs (with chili and onions, please) called Ann’s Dari Creme. Been around forever, though successive owners, still (I assume) the same. I was there decades ago. It was like a pilgrimage…

They don’t have a website. Just Yelp and Facebook and Trip Advisor. But it doesn’t stop the crowds ….

3 Likes
1 Like

Amen to that

1 Like

Similar offerings mentioned upthread in LA, I think. I never knew of these in SA.

@bbqboy - Rutt’s Hut, Central Texas Style!

2 Likes

Looks like when I overdo it on the late night microwaved snack! kinda a reeses peanut butter moment.

2 Likes