Hot Dogs!

I’m not sure if it was here that I read a rec for Fork In The Road hot dogs as making a good natural casing dog, but my test was disappointing. I made a trip to Whole Foods and bought a package of their Honest Dogs thinking I’d read that was the one of their two dog offerings that had natural casings.

Verdict: NO SNAP! So I don’t know if I got the wrong kind or if I read wrong. Kindof a bland dig to boot. Back to the only one I can seem to find here - Hoffy.

I just found out . Those frankfurters I posted . Have lamb casings. Nice

Okay……. I just googled again and found a different part of the Fork in the road site. I bought the wrong dogs!! It’s their MIGHTY GOOD DOGS that have lamb casings. I should have realized it when the dog split during cooking. Oh well…… live and learn.

New technique

1 Like

???
Nothing new about that unless the neophyte is 20 years old or less.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s how I cook mine, but I add a dab of butter to the water.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Topped off my breakfast this morning with an HEB natural casing beef Old World Frankfurter. A pretty good dog.

Then I go online and find this heartwarming and uplifting story:

The day is off to a really good start :smiley:.

4 Likes

Chili Dogs!

1 Like
2 Likes

8 Likes

My first Taiwanese hot dog/sausage on a bun

8 Likes

I use lard. Little helper fat for finishing. I rarely grill NC dogs.

2 Likes

How were they?

I’ve had the Nathan’s offering. I’ve passed on it several times since.

Strongest recommendation

Classic flavor and texture. Reminds me of the Catskills and 80s bat mitzvahs - but no hoards to fight off!

I’ve had the Hebrew national version. Those r good too but these were comparable, probably better. Maybe slightly thinner puff pastry. The cook time was a bit longer than what the box said and there’s a fine margin with puff pastry but it’s no rocket science either.

I’ve never had the Nathan’s version. For some reason most shops seem to have only skinless Nathan’s by me which doesn’t cut the mustard.

Me my buddy his 20 year old and my six year old dominated 2 boxes watching football pre thanksgiving. We could’ve eaten more. I wish I had some now.

Got em at a pavilions (chain) supermarket. Don’t forget the spicy deli mustard and frilly toothpicks for the full experience.

1 Like

I’m not surprised it’s LA. But I think NYC has an advantage with the carts.

1 Like

Nice reminder @brucesw

5 Likes

FB_IMG_1670179856436

7 Likes

A pretty decent list

3 Likes

Whoa! Who sells these? In my area (CT, suburban NYC) They sell Kosher style so no butter in the pastry. Trader Joe’s sells a butter puff paste wrapped hot dog but they suck. I’d love to try these.