Hot Dogs!

2022_07_28_11_41_IMG_6564

if you can get past the color these are really good…made in Malone/Potsdam NY area…Glaziers…there are red ones up in ME too I like…

3 Likes

Hot dogs are not health food, they are a guilty indulgence. Stop with the uncured, fake meat, low salt etc. etc. Generically, I like to use Beef & Pork Frankfurters on the grill/gridle and all-beef kosher style hot dogs for water bath cooking like the pushcarts in NYC. The water mellows the strong smoky/garlicky flavor of the Kosher style hot dogs. A natural casing is usually an indication of quality but there are many fine skinless varieties too. I like deli mustard only on my hot dogs, maybe a little sauerkraut if I’m in the mood. All the other crap (kimchi, goat cheese, guanciale chili) is just gilding the lily. If you’ve got a good dog to begin with you don’t need toppings. And a hot dog needs a bun. I try to limit my carbs but I’ll make an exception for a bun. A hot dog on a plate just doesn’t get it for me.

4 Likes

Me too. Nathan’s does sell a natural casing ‘frankfurter’ they’ve disappeared from all the markets around me. I finally found Hoffy’s. Good snap and flavor but not the best IMHO.

I’ve been trying upscale brands and local brands this summer.

Not because of avoiding junk food or fat. I’m curious how different brands taste. A generic /cheap house brand hot dog does not taste as good as a Schneiders / Maple Leaf / President’s Choice / Nathan’s / Hebrew National / Sabrett’s hot dog in my experience. I haven’t had an Oscar Mayer hot dog since I was a kid- and haven’t tried other American hot dogs in the past 30 years.

I get hives from some preservatives. It’s a sulphite sensitivity, so there’s no lab test for it. I get hives after I eat a lot of pepperoni or some types of salami, so it’s been trial and error for me, in terms of brand and ingredients.

I don’t like the taste of chicken dogs. I tolerate some veggie dogs. I get veggie dogs on Fridays and when I go through Pescatarian phases.
The alternative hot dogs serve a purpose, for people who want a hot dog and can’t eat or won’t eat beef or pork. I’m all for as many types of hot dogs as the market can bear.

I sometimes eat hot dogs without a bun. Depends.

The Asian hot dog bao and hot dog buns (pastries with hot dogs baked into them) can be delicious. I didn’t try one until a few months ago.

Korean Sausage Bread (it’s made with hot dogs)

Vietnamese sausage bun (also made with hot dogs, or Vietnamese sausage)

2 Likes

I made this “Hot Dog Soup” a few weeks ago. It was actually really good.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here.

Either we are all not worthy, or the world is coming to an end.

Perhaps both.

3 Likes

A giant NO!
I could never waste an overpriced ballpark beer :beer:
Or an overpriced ballpark hot dog, for that matter.

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Yankees suck

2 Likes
1 Like

I love these dogs made locally. Taught by his father from Germany. Talked to him about these . He says no bun . Completely agree. Grilled with a side of mustard and a little sauerkraut. If you want bread have it on the side with a beer …

7 Likes

Those look nice!!!

I have yet to try Nathan’s NC. I just don’t care for any of those, be it Nathan’s, Hebrew National. Too greasy for me. I’ll stay local for my dogs, I guess.

1 Like

I’ve not noticed natural casing to be greasy at all. Just has a snap to it.

1 Like

I believe that. I have three butchers b y me that make unreal NC dogs, so I just stick with them. haven’t had anything from nathan’s or HN that did much for me, so I stick with my local shops. $6 a lb, but worth it.

I announce the football games for my school and always heartily advertise the local hot dogs they sell at the concession stands. Our team is pretty tough, so when the game is essentially over in the first half, I spend a lot of time peddling Von Ruden hot dogs over the PA. Best dog on earth, IMHO.

World famous, in Cashton.

https://www.vonrudenmeats.com/

I think natural casing hot dogs are less greasy than their non-natural casing counterparts

True. I just thought the NY varieties (non NC) were especially greasy.

Picked these up to try.
I like the Olympia Provisions stuff I’ve tried before.
Never had the hot dogs.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Boar’s Head has (or had) a Beef & Pork Natural Casing Hot Dog that is terrific but alas is also hard to find around here (suburban NYC)