Hot Dogs!

heaven!

I got a bar I’m gotta hit up in a few weeks that I think will have em tho!

Bay View was my old neighborhood. Go to the one of many pubs there, and most will have some selection of them. All tastes pretty much the same, anyway; like pickles. Still, a turkey gizzard and some saltines, to get you by. Serving prepared food was never a popular thing in southside bars. You went to belly up and have a few, then hit a food hot spot. Aside from cardboard pizzas, I don’t remember much food besides beer nuts, chips, and Bay View pickled _______.

Look at all the stuff their outlet has. https://bayviewpacking.com/our-factory-outlet-store/

I love that stuff and yes booze and beer come first, this prolongs drinking bouts…I see they sell their stuff on Amazon, anything you recommend most, or other brands (i tend to like the spicy ones best)? We make our own pickled eggs at home using left over pickle juice that we jazz up with other stuff to make a good witches brew…I’m not confident enough to do that with meat or “meat.”

I’m gizzards, garlic stuffed olives or hot Polish sausage.

At home, I’m on a pickled onion kick. Can’t do eggs anymore. Mrs. Badger doesn’t appreciate the after effects of the pickled eggs. I’m afraid the dog would even kick me off the couch.

2 Likes

Nice. I always chop an onion and toss it in with the pickled eggs too, that can be the best part.

playing pull my finger with children = priceless

Always stop on Rt 5 between CA and OR (north of Sacto) here at the Olive Pit, it’s amazing, dozens and dozens of flavors of stuffed olives; bleu cheese jalapeno stuffed is a good one, aged garlic stuffed olives too

Olives (olivepit.com)

2 Likes

A successful trip includes Olive Pit and Granzella’s.
And Bartel’s.
http://bartelsgiantburger.com/

3 Likes

Lunch

All beef, natural casings, mustard, chili, cheese, onions and pickled chile arbol.

12 Likes

I’ll happily eat just about any hot dog, although I only eat a bun with the larger sizes (say 4-5 per pound) because I feel smaller dogs get lost in the bread. Restaurant Depot used to carry Nathan’s jalapeño cheddar king size dogs and they were THE BOMB, but they haven’t had them in a while and online sources are cost prohibitive due to shipping.

I can be convinced of just about any topping other than ketchup, but I have to say @NotDoobieWah 's version looks just about perfect. I had one the other day with mayo, horseradish mustard and dill pickles that didn’t suck, either. I prefer Martin’s potato buns for that hint of sweetness.

3 Likes

I add onion and/or garlic in almost everything I pickle. Gotta get my vitamin A.

3 Likes

Is there more than one Bay View? Are we talking SF Bay Area? My daughter used to live there, and I am up for exploring it again.

My favorite dog is a chili dog (mustard, chili, cheese, onions, peppers)… and while I quite like my chili on my dogs, it is an all day affair that results in quarts of chili.

I have experimented with various “quick in the pan” chili, including coney island dog chili sauce as well as a number of others and have been pretty consistently disappointed.

Any of you have a go to quick chili recipe/method for dogs?

3 Likes

I prefer a finer/chunk free texture for hot dog chili. To accomplish this, I start by cooking ground beef and grated onion in a bit of water, and use my potato masher to break up the meat completely. Once the meat is cooked and the water mostly evaporated, I add spices (chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, celery salt, plus onion powder if I was too lazy to grate an onion) and toast briefly, then add wet ingredients (tomato paste or sauce, a bit of mustard, a little vinegar or pickled jalapeno brine and sweetener to balance things out, plus enough beef broth to make it soupy). Simmer until thick - maybe 30 mins on the stove top. Tweak spices to taste, obviously. I grew up in MI and this is reminiscent of the Detroit style coney dogs of my youth, although I leave out the traditional offal and clove components of that sauce

3 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

One of the ‘old fashioned’ words that often stumps a kid these days is “antenna”.

3 Likes

No, Bay View is where I lived in Milwaukee. Fun neighborhood. Lots of bars, and people that don’t go to the bar to dine, so much as carry on their alcohol consumption with pickled products. I’m guessing our bay isn’t quite the bay you’d have in SF. This one is on lake Michigan.

I don’t live there anymore. When we started our family we elected to go country, and do not regret it. Less nightlife for more peace. But, I was just up north at a rustic resort with 30 people who are all from Bay View, Mwaukee.

1 Like

In AZ, those suckers would be well-browned.

I’ve never quite wrapped my head around corn dogs.

I go natural casing with mustard. BOOORING! But I’ll take natural casing over any of those Nathan’s/Hebrew National types. Too greasy for me.

1 Like
1 Like

I have a device that does that! I’ve never used it.