Hot Dogs!

Doesn’t mean there is a a quality difference in the actual product (or that celery isn’t a better way to encounter nitrites than artificial chemicals).

2 Likes

LOVED the Polish dogs…in spite of the burping garlic thing…or maybe because of it?Either way, they are missed.

2 Likes

Doesn’t mean there ISN’T a a quality difference is what that should have said.

1 Like
2 Likes

There’s a flavor in hotdogs that disagrees with me. I have trouble with some sausages for the same reason. However, there was a hotdog at a golf club that was great. I’d smother it in jalapeños, onions, and mustard. Boy those were good. I wish they were all like that.

Not sure I agree with the assessment of Olympia Provisions as best in show, but otherwise pretty interesting :thinking:

2 Likes
4 Likes

My grandpa (who was a poor hardworking immigrant in NJ)'s favorite comfort food was hot dog goulash, essentially fried potatoes and onions with sliced hot dogs mixed in. No paprika, nothin like that. I still enjoy making it because it makes me think of him and it’s delicious.

8 Likes

Exploded a wiener in the microwave in 30 seconds??? How many gigawatts does his oven have? Where’s Chris Lloyd when we need him?

I’m not sure this guy knows any more about wieners than he does microwaves but all you’re doing with a MW is warming the sausage up and it takes low power, even if the sausage is fresh out of the freezer. I use a 700 watt oven on defrost. Covered wiener (to make use of the steam and to keep an accidental fat explosion from creating a need to wipe down the inside of the unit - everything I cook in a MW is covered except for re-heating coffee or heating water for tea) refrigerated dog 2 mins to start; some may need less or more. Frozen sausage - 4-6 mins. Not the best tasting, I’ll agree, but it doesn’t heat up the kitchen or create anything extra needing cleaning and it’s quick.

Never even heard of Olympia Provisions so I’ll let that pass and I’ll pass on assessing the other reports.

2 Likes

Uh oh!! Now you’ve done it. Gotta try that. But goulash seems to usually be a stew of sorts, so this sounds more like hot dog hash. Is there some liquid included?

2 Likes

Nope. Three ingredients fried up in a little oil sorta makes its own caramelized stuff. it’s not soupy at all. Anyone who has experienced poverty will appreciate the expression of my grandma that ‘appetite is the best seasoning.’ In any event, hotdogs can be a good seasoning too! my grandpa inhaled this then went to bed at 6pm to wake up for work the next day at 3 am.

I’ve added stuff to suit my taste over the years from time to time, ie jalapenos, some spice, but it’s simple stuff. Ketsup or tabasco on top after for some of us. That’s what he and my grandma called it, hotdog goulash. Hope you enjoy it! I’m sure you could customize this to suit your taste and it would still be great.

3 Likes

Ah Hah! So now we know! Here’s a Kosher hot dog in Houston (during the pandemic):

Actually, the Hebrew National wiener (split/grilled) is the only thing they claim is Kosher, but the cafe has a large Jewish clientele and is in a heavily Jewish neighborhood. The co-owned bagel shop next door is Kosher). Split/grilled bun, coarse grind, in-house made chili, American cheese, pickle spear and utterly forgettable slaw.

I’ve been back, and I always get a large order of chili to go.

6 Likes

I bought some wieners in a jar like that once. At a Polish grocery store that has really good, natural casing wieners in the butcher case. The jarred wieners were a lot like what we call Vienna Sausages (in a can). I thought I’d never use them all up.

OTOH, the Swedish version of Vienna sausages, Prinskorv, (Prince’s sausage), are a little larger than cocktail franks, all pork, natural casing, and sauteed in butter for a typical Julbord. And they’re addictive.

3 Likes

A friend was playing in Belgium and snapped those.
:innocent:

Oh yeah–the cheese on the dog is definitely not kosher. :wink:

5 Likes

This sort of thing can be a quality bar top snack along with pickled eggs…good luck trying to find this where i live now…

3 Likes

Eh, most people probably don’t care…if they did they could ask to hold the cheese(me,I’ll take double…)

2 Likes

“Hunger makes the best sauce.” I heard that.

1 Like

I lived 5 minutes north of where they make these. Every bar had a wide selection. Pickled eggs. The wife says no mo! I went for turkey gizzards.

1 Like