HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

I love those burnt edges on the pepperoni, they are so good!!

2 Likes

This will be an unpopular view, but I never loved the egg-on-pizza thing.

(Or the current trend to egg-on-everything, which ruined a perfectly good crab butter garlic for me this week. Bit crabby about it!)

3 Likes

I don’t often get egg on pizza but I had a really good pizza at a restaurant recently with an egg on top and where one could use the yolk as kind of a dip for some of the pizza slices. That pizza was well suited for egg dippin’ as it had ham on it. I was trying to recreate that a bit here but the yolk was a little too set to dip in.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve eaten it at restaurants too, especially at brunch.

But I had a mostly raw egg atop a kulcha (like naan, so might as well be pizza) this week, so I’m freshly annoyed about the egg on everything everywhere :joy:

Ah that does look a bit underdone.

The dippy pizza I had for reference - from City House in Nashville.

6 Likes

How do you feel about adjaruli khachapuri? I enjoy other types of khachapuri more because of the lack of egg.

I do like a “breakfast pizza” with eggs.

I’ve never eaten it, if you can believe it. But that egg on top gives me stress — is the cheese hot enough when the egg goes on? Because goopy white is one of my biggest nits. Give me a different khachapuri please.

2 Likes

Back to cheese, anyone else subbing Oaxacan for whole milk mozzarella! It’s become my “go to” for its flavor and melted texture.

1 Like

I’ve never had adjaruli khachapuri where the egg didn’t fully cook by being stirred into the cheese.

Yeah I’m the same. It’s why I can’t do things like tamago kake gohan. The yolks I’m good with, but egg whites I can’t choke down.
For khachapuri there are versions where only the yolk is added and not cooked, versions with whole egg baked for 2-3 minutes where the white is very soft and it’s technically cooked, but the whites are still on the snotty side, and I’ve seen a couple where the egg was added whole and not baked more. It’s so rich between egg, butter, and cheese, though.

@pilgrim, for me Oaxaca cheese seems too bouncy. I feel it would get a bit chewy baked on pizza, but perhaps not given you like it.

Melted Oaxacan cheese is actually very creamy rather than chewy.

I often use Monterey Jack or Brick Cheese especially for NEPA or Grandma Pizza
I find many mass produced Mozzarella Cheeses too dry and stringy (rubbery)for Pizza.

1 Like

Those cheeses do have a very nice, melty texture, and though I haven’t experienced dry mozzarella as you’re describing, I know some people in this thread ran into that problem. For me a cheese like Oaxaca is precisely what I think of as pretty dry and rubbery, but then it’s been a while since I had any.

Maybe depends on the manufacturer or age. It’s a fast sell in our area, so never old.

I agree about Quesillo de Oaxaca which is meant to be super stretchy and stringy. I find the same true of many Mozzarellas available in Super Markets.
Belfiore Flue Di Latte, some Mozzarellas(Grande comes to mind) and of course Mozzarella di bufala are creamy melters rather than stringy and rubbery (Polly-O, Kraft, etc…)

Given these 2 options, which do folks pick for pizza?

Whole milk pre-shredded mozzarella, or part-skim block to shred myself?

Early in thread I mentioned having ready access to whole milk mozz blocks. But in the last 10 days, all they’ve had were part skim.

I talked to the dept manager today and she said she’d check into why they weren’t getting shipped the whole milk version.

Making a 15-inch deep dish pizza tonight. I grabbed a brick of part skim mozz and also 2 packages of pre-shredded whole milk.

1 Like

It depends on the brand, but I would probably go with the pre-shredded whole milk. You can rinse off the cellulose or whatever anti-caking agent it’s coated with for a smoother melt (blot dry on paper towels before using).

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

The best thing you can do for ny pizza is ask your local pizzerias if they use grande mozzarella and if so, would they sell you some. Everywhere we’ve lived I’ve found a source, alternatively you can order online but it’s expensive to have it shipped. Grande dominates the nyc pizza market.

I made two different pizzas for dinner tonight - I couldn’t decide whether I wanted thin or thick crust, so we had two different kinds of cheese pizza.

Thin = Roman style cracker crust
Thick = Chicago style deep dish (but square pan because I didn’t have the right size round one)

Both recipes from “No Gluten, No Problem Pizza” - an almost-identical combination of brown rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, and millet flour. The dough uses a combination of xanthan gum and ground psyllium to make up for the elasticity that gluten provides.

The deep dish was not great - the crust wasn’t right. Definitely not a keeper.

The thin crust was good, but I pulled it out of the oven a minute before I should have. However, it was super quick and easy - the dough is rolled out immediately after mixing and thrown right into a 550F oven to parbake, giving it some nice bubbles. Aside from preheating the oven for an hour, the prep time was under 20 minutes.
IMG_5159
IMG_5160

13 Likes