HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

Peeetttzzzzzaaahhh!!!

Half a ball of Market Basket Enriched English Toasting Bread pizza dough, some Pomi crushed tomatoes with onions, augmented with Penzeys’ Italian herbs and some tomato paste, roasted broccoli, quartered salami segments, caramelized onions, shredded mozzarella and a sprinkle of grated Parm-Reg

Should have added some garlic powder to the roasted broccoli or the sauce. :woman_shrugging:

Baked in a 45 minute-preheated 450° oven for 12 minutes. Not too bad!

And cooking it on parchment on a hot stone gave me a decent bottom. :::That’s what she said:::

13 Likes

I’m intrigued by your tortilla pizzas, my d gave me a tortilla press that I’ve started using, I’m gonna give it a try!

2 Likes

here we go:

15 Likes

I finally got around to breaking in the Detroit pizza pan I got for Christmas! We used the Serious Eats recipe and it came out great. I still have half of the 5 lb. loaf of brick cheese I ordered and I look forward to more Detroit pizza in the near future!

16 Likes

Looks great.
One observation, the Cheese should touch the Edge of the Pan the whole way round to get that “burnt” Cheese Edge that in typical of the style.

5 Likes

I picked up some brick cheese while on vacation and, not wanting to mail order, compared it to a bunch of different cheeses and found sliced muenster over the dough followed by a mix of mozz and cheddar is indistinguishable from brick cheese on the finished product. You may want to play around with that if you get tired of ordering.

anyhow, that’s an amazing first effort! Not sure why more people don’t make pan pizza, so much easier than ny pies and the results are fantastic.

4 Likes

Yes, the crispy cheese edge is the best part! Hard to tell in the photos but we did get some pretty good crunchy, cheesy bits!
I also made two of the Serious Eats pan pizzas. Up until trying the Detroit pizza, that’s the one we make the most. And Roberta’s dough.

6 Likes

Thanks for that recommendation - I will definitely take it for a spin because the brick cheese was pricey!

2 Likes

Thin-crust pizza with homemade marinara, three cheeses, soppressata, and black olives. Honey and red pepper flakes on the side.

14 Likes

I always wanted to make Kenji’s meatball pizza as I’ve only ever had it with cut up meatballs, so I finally tried it.
I used a different meatball recipe that is a bit less involved than Daniel’s (which are great, but a lot of ingredients and work) and shaped half into large meatballs for sliders, and the rest for pizza. I can’t lie— I found the process of making all these tiny meatballs excruciating :joy:, and I was dealing with fewer than what Kenji is calling for.

Meatballs like to roll when you try to load a pizza, so that was not fun, and I really do need a larger peel. The process of getting these on the steel wasn’t the most simple.

But then I tasted the pizza and my god it was good! The whole meatballs are just so tender and fun to eat on this pizza, and definitely moister and more delicious than any meatball pizza I’ve had.

I don’t bother with the olive oil that Kenji often likes to top pizza with. It’s tasty, but ultimately unnecessary to me (Kenji really loves olive oil). And I prefer to add basil after the pizza is baked so it wilts rather than when it goes into the oven.
I had fewer meatballs so I made just two pizzas, but I could have gotten away with three. I suspect the recipe as written makes more meatballs than you would use.
I really should make pan pizza next time since it’s just less fussy, but I kind of want to make Brian Lagerstrom’s delivery style pizza or the Roman style pizza. :joy:

16 Likes

Beautiful Pizza!!

5 Likes

Thank you!

This is where one of those mini ice-cream scoops are good to have around. A quick scoop, and you can leave one side of the meatball flattened so it doesn’t roll around.

5 Likes

I use a disher, but you still need to shape after scooping. And scooping the tiny meatballs themselves takes a while. They also roll in spite of none of them being perfect spheres. The cooking is also annoying since there’s so many and they’re very tender, so you have to be delicate when dropping into sauce.

Oh and I forgot to say that I made meatballs and sauce, cooked the meatballs in the sauce and scooped them out, then packed separately and froze until I was ready to make pizza. This makes the process a lot simpler than trying to do it all in one shot.

3 Likes

That looks amazing!

that’s one of the best looking pizzas I’ve seen posted on the internet!

2 Likes

That means a lot coming from you with your perfect pies!

1 Like

I want to dive right into that pizza you made. Work of art!

If you find yourself with leftover meatballs sometime and pizza is on your mind, here’s an experiment: tearing apart the meatballs with your hands. I tried this recently when I had a few cooked meatballs in the fridge from another dish. We enjoyed the craggy texture. I didn’t add the meatballs until partway through baking and made sure there was enough sauce adhering so they stayed tender. Way more rustic those beautiful mini-meatballs but it made quick use of leftovers.

8 Likes

Another cheese pizza with NY style crust. I cracked an egg on top which came out a little too done in the yolk, maybe I will try to place it on top midway during cooking the next time I add an egg.

13 Likes

Pepperoni pizza on NY style crust

12 Likes