HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

I tried a new dough, Joe Beddia’s. I thought it worked pretty well - it was easy to get it as thin as I wanted. One pie with fresh tomato, mozzarella and mushroom, and one with marinara and three cheeses (mozz, asiago, parm). I preferred the marinara, which I did not expect. It would’ve been a good idea to get some basil, in retrospect.

13 Likes

Looks good!

What was your baking setup and what type of flour?

Bread flour, and I use a steel. Preheat the broiler for a half hour or so, and pies cook in 3ish minutes. I wish I were better at stretching evenly.

2 Likes

I bought vital wheat gluten because I didn’t want to stock bread flour on top of WW, Chapati, and AP (and for a while White Lily type low gluten for cake etc) but I keep forgetting to add the gluten :woman_facepalming:t2:

For a while, I had AP, bread, 00, rye, matzoh cake meal and teff. That is too many damn flours. I’m down to just the first two, now. But I am starting to feel the need to stock up again.

1 Like

Erm. Those are only the wheat flours. I don’t wanna talk about how many others there are :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So far, I haven’t needed anything else. Plus, I’m short on space, so I can’t keep that much on hand at one time.

Indian pantry + asian pantry = lots of stuff

1 Like

@small_h and @Saregama you probably won’t be able to tell the difference btw using kaap and kaab to make pizza and you may find you prefer AP.

that is a really fast bake, do you have a sense of the surface temp of the steel? do you turn the broiler off after preheat?

No, but next time I’ll train my thermometer gun on it and have an answer for you!

Nope, that never occurred to me.

550f is a good place for nyc pizza, prob an 8-10 min bake. A three minute bake would prob be around 750-800f. Otoh your crust looks really good, no need to change it if you like the way it tastes.

I have beddia’s book somewhere, he has some great topping recipes.

1 Like

I’ve followed Lahey’s baking instructions since the get go, and I’m generally pretty happy with them. I need to get better at handling the dough, is my next step.

1 Like

I dunno, you’ve built a nice rim there, what would u like to change?

1 Like

I need the rim to be even nicer.

1 Like

Yeah I know plenty of dedicated bread bakers and they prefer KA AP for most of their breads, with their bread flour having its place for certain types (like brioche).

1 Like

this video helped me a lot, I don’t love how much flour he uses but he explains the fundamentals well. When I was first learning, I’d make ten dough balls at a time, open one up, sauce but no cheese, bake, take a bite, toss in the trash and on to the next one. probably costs about $3 in flour, oil, and sauce for 10 dough balls. Of course I was/am obsessed.

the technique at 2 minutes into the video is often overlooked by home pizza makers, it’s called edge stretching and it creates a flat surface right to the rim of the pizza, allowing cheese to flow over the sauce. If your cheese is not flowing to the rim, that’s usually the answer.

3 Likes

Thanks! I usually do fine until the part where you have to pick up the dough, and then everything goes straight to hell.

1 Like

Last night made an old favorite, hamburger, red onion, olive pie. Oaxacan cheese, so very creamy. Usual dough = 1 cup unbleached flour? 1/3 cup water, 2 T olive oil, 2 1/2 t instant yeast.

A decent pie. Little effort.
ETA we eschew rim crust, so aim for thin crust, little rim.

12 Likes

How do you build your pizza?

I sequence dough, sauce, cheese, then toppings.
Splash of evoo if sauce is lean, and if I remember.

2 Likes