Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

I posted this as its own thread, then noticed that in its comment section it was recommended for popsicles.

I made David Lebovitz’s peach frozen yogurt except I substituted mango nectarines for the peaches. I didn’t peel the nectarines. I used homemade plain, whole milk yogurt (not strained)

Also, I added a pinch of Kosher salt because sweets with no salt make me nervous. :wink:

It is delicious. The nectarine flavor comes through loud and clear. The balance of tart and sweet is perfect.

5 Likes

I love that recipe. Can’t wait for our turn at peaches to make some.

2 Likes

I’ve made many recipes for peach ice cream that disappointed. Maybe I need to pivot to this?

Cold does tamp down the fruit flavor. You might try cooking most of it down to a jammy consistency (or substitute purchased jam or preserves) and adding the remainder of the fresh fruit as is, before churning/freezing.

Recipes for peach ice cream invariably recommend that the peaches be peeled. As peels contain a lot of flavor and nectarines don’t need to be peeled, I think the peel may be one reason for the great flavor.

The other reason is cream vs yogurt. I adore fat, but it tends to mute flavor.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried all that and more.

I have egg whites as usual and not feeling like making the one angel food cake I like (Flo Braker’s very chocolatey one that cuts through the usual sweetness), so I decided to make Stella Parks’ homemade Klondike bars. Unfortunately the mixer died after making the Swiss meringue and then the cream did not want to whip even with my usual turning on the AC and ice bath routine so I gave up. I will try again, though in my experience even my really good hand mixer doesn’t have the juice to whip Swiss meringue, and Serious Eats said as much in their tests of hand mixers.

I have ordered some gears which I think are the cause of the mixer’s woes. Then I’m returning the mixer to its owner (it’s a friend of mine who doesn’t use it and she insists I hold on to it and put it to use) and buying a Bosch Compact because the bulk of my stand mixer use is bread dough and I’ve felt for a while that I wanted a smaller mixer anyway because I make mostly smaller recipes these days.

2 Likes

I actually used up my egg whites for now, but since I always have an ongoing collection of egg whites, I’ll have enough for the Klondike bars in a day or so. I think I will convert to an Italian meringue so as to guarantee success with the hand mixer.

In the meanwhile I made a half batch of Stella Parks’ pudding pops and they’re delicious! The base if eaten as a pastry cream would be too sweet, but frozen the sweetness is fine. I’ll probably cut half an ounce next time though for the purpose of having a nice neat number at 3 oz since it won’t hurt to have a little less. I salted to taste rather than measuring and may have ended up with a little more than she calls for. I got 6 rather than 5 pops from a half recipe. The texture of these is wonderful!

1 Like

Trying a new ice cream recipe today: Almond Joy from Serious Eats. It isn’t by Stella Parks but I trust SE recipes in general so I’m going to give it a go.

1 Like

Max Falkowitz’s ice cream recipes are good, in my experience.

2 Likes

Anyone have a suggestion for a TINY batch of pops or similar? Like 2-4?

1 Like

This fudge ice pop recipe makes four standard size ice pops. I’ve made them several times; they are delicious. In fact, I double the recipe.

2 Likes

I’ve got planned to make brown sugar boba ice cream pops and the recipe I’ve looked at makes 4. I don’t know if you like that flavor, though. I’m a fan of both the drink and the ice cream bars even more so because they’re ironically far lower in calories while tasting the same as the drink.

This channel I follow has been on an ice cream bar kick recently and the recipes make no more than 4 a lot of times.

1 Like

I made the Klondike bars and they’re pretty good, but I feel like homemade versions of these things sometimes end up too high quality. In this case I feel the chocolate coating takes over (I used a mix of milk and dark). Plus dipping into chocolate without a dipping fork is always annoying. Much better to make bars, which have a convenient handle.

1 Like

I made this (with peaches) and so far I’m finding the peachiness underwhelming.

I have lots of leftover peaches, though, so I’m considering making a fresh peach (sauce?) to serve with it. Any suggestions for method? I don’t have any peach schnapps or anything like that, before you go there :slight_smile:

I also have a brambleberry sauce already in the fridge, now that I think of it…

1 Like

I served it with a berry sauce. It’s not terrible, but both texture and flavor were not ideal.

Texturally, it is kind of chalky; when you try to scoop it with a round scoop, it won’t curl and roll like ice cream does. It also didn’t melt like ice cream does!

I was bummed that I didn’t follow my instincts and reduce the amount of water called for to cook the peaches. It watered down the flavor.

Perhaps it will improve overnight in the freezer…

1 Like

Could you make another round of more intense peach compote and reprocess?

I mean, it’s not like it won’t get eaten as is :slight_smile: If anything it’s perhaps good that it’s not the single most delicious thing ever - that way I won’t feel the need to consume it all at once!

I’ve never re-churned anything, by the way; have you?

2 Likes

Maybe make a caramelized peach sauce to go on top? If you try it again, I’m wondering if rehydrated dried peaches (in minimal water or peach juice and drained & chopped or puréed) may give you an intense peach flavor, along with the fresh? Just a thought.