Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

I forgot the link! http://www.apt2bbakingco.com/home/no-churn-crme-frache-and-blueberry-ice-cream

2 Likes

Made a batch of Bravetart’s Devil’s Food chocolate ice cream last week and it came out fine. Made a second batch yesterday, chilled overnight, and tried to churn it today. It just wouldn’t thicken/freeze. I wound up dumping it down the drain. I have no idea why it didn’t work. Oh well. I’ll try again tomorrow. My niece’s 8th birthday party is in a couple of weeks and the theme is ice cream so I volunteered to make a few different kinds to add to the offerings.

was your canister frozen solid?

1 Like

Mixed cherry frozen yogurt, loosely based on David Lebovitz’s sour cherry frozen yogurt.

I used approximately 85% Montmorency sour cherries from our tree, and made up the rest with sweet Bing cherries from our fridge. I subtracted two T. of the sugar to offset the added sweetness. As all I had was non-fat yogurt on hand, I added 2 T. of heavy cream to the mix.

Judging by a taste of the un-ripened confection, it came out great – very cherry.

15 Likes

darn i can’t believe i’ve never made this. i have some sour cherries frozen… .any thoughts how to adjust the recipe, if at all, to use frozen?

I don’t think you would need any adjustment, although will they retain their color while thawing? I sometimes get some browning with Montmorencies if I don’t process them right away. I use citric acid when I freeze them to prevent this. If yours are commercially prepared, this is probably not an issue.

I thought about supplementing my batch with frozen before I remembered we ate them all.

i have some frozen and some fresh. i’ll throw them together and see what happens :slight_smile:

1 Like

My love, my precious: homemade brambleberry crisp ice cream.

brambleberry crisp july 2022

I wax on about this ice cream every summer, so forgive me if you’ve heard this a million times before.

I first tasted Jeni’s a couple years ago, and instantly fell in love with her Brambleberry Crisp flavor. It’s a vanilla base with a berry swirl and a unique crisp layer that is basically a quick granola. You make the berry swirl ( fruit cooked with sugar, then de-seeded) and granola first, and chill the berry jam and freeze the granola. Then, you make and churn the base. When you transfer the churned ice cream to the container you’ll store it in in the freezer, you layer in the berry swirl and granola layers.

This recipe is from Jeni’s ice cream book, but once I made this flavor I never tried any other of her recipes. I love it so.

This batch I had the privilege of using local, seasonal black raspberries and red raspberries for the brambleberry jam. It is spectacular.

14 Likes

yes

Yesterday was my niece’s ice cream-themed birthday party. They had a sundae bar for the kids with Friendly’s ice cream from the grocery store. My sister decided that my offerings were for the adults. I made 2 quarts Devil’s Food Chocolate ice cream (Bravetart), 2 quarts Stracciatella gelato (Bravetart via Serious Eats), 2 quarts Toasted Coconut ice cream (The Perfect Scoop), 2 quarts of S’mores ice cream (The Perfect Scoop) and 1 quart Fudge Swirl (leftover ice cream and fudge ripple from the s’mores). I also did the chocolate chip cookie dough nuggets as a topping option.

The overwhelming favorite was the toasted coconut by far. I did amp up the coconut flavor a bit by adding some coconut extract which is not called for in Lebovitz’s recipe. The chocolate and s’mores both got soft and melty pretty quickly. Next time I’d serve them straight from the freezer.

Now I have all sorts of requests from people asking me to make them some toasted coconut. Someone else asked me to do rum raisin and coffee batches. Fine with me. It gives me something to do with my time.

9 Likes

Fascinating that the coconut was the winner. It’s a polarizing flavor, I’ve found.

3 Likes

It all sounds pretty damn fabulous, and what lucky relatives you have! Coconut ice cream is probably my favorite. I love it paired with a custard filled coconut cake, and usually have it on my birthday, after dinner at a favorite Thai food place.

Ha, I just purchased one off eBay. It wasn’t nearly as cheap as some have reported they paid for a used one, but still cheaper than a new ice cream maker. I ultimately wasn’t convinced by the reviews of current machines that are in the $200-$300 range as there seem to be issues with longevity, not to mention the ice cream taking 40 minutes to churn according to reviewers. The most reliable one seems to be the Cuisinart due to their customer service and warranty, but I wasn’t crazy about the long churn time. The only machines with really good reviews are upwards of $500. With reports here of this being able to make a batch in 20-30 minutes and knowing how long it has lasted, I finally made an offer to a seller for a bit less than he was asking and he accepted.
There is a sweet deal of $150 for one of these, but it’s for pick-up only and in Kentucky. Saw a few even better deals on Facebook marketplace in Georgia and I think South Carolina, but again, the issue is pick-up. But if anyone here is interested in an ice cream maker, I thought I’d put it out there that there are some great deals for this machine.

3 Likes

Do you need to use a converter to plug it in, since it’s made in Europe?

No, at least not mine. I think the ones that are here were marketed for the US and are electrically compatible.

1 Like

I see. I’m looking at an Italian-made one on eBay and the current/voltage issue came to mind.

In that case, I’d query the seller.

WIll do. I just looked again at the listing and there’s an American UL tag on the back so I think the machine will work here!

The machines were made in Italy but for the US market.

BTW, the manual with the operating instructions are in English as is the recipe book that came with it. If you need any info, I’d be happy to take a pic for you and @Shellybean.

1 Like