Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

For anyone who followed my Meyer lemon sorbet travails over at Chowhound:

Thanks to some guidance from @NannyBakes and others, I finally thawed the failed sorbet and re-ran it through the ice cream maker, this time blending in some Karo corn syrup. Victory! The sorbet went from rock hard to soft and scoopable. I wasn’t able to work in a whole lot of corn syrup, as my sorbet already had ample sugar for our tastes, but next year I’ll know how to properly balance it for improved texture. My gratitude.

:point_right: :point_right: :point_right: REMINDER: strawberry ice cream throwdown coming up – David Lebovitz’s version vs. Serious Eats. Looks like our berries will be late this year – end of June maybe?

7 Likes

Glad the corn syrup did the trick!

2 Likes

We have an ice cream maker back home, and my darling has perfected pistachio ice cream (based on the versatile Epicurious custard base recipe.

He also made a fantastic sweet corn ice cream (NYT cooking) that I perfected with a dark berry sauce.

2 Likes

Have you ever had Van Leewun pistachio ice cream? They sell pints at a lot of grocers including Walmart. I can never get my homemade pistachio ice cream as flavorful as theirs. If yours is better, please share a secret or two.

3 Likes

I love pistachio ice cream. Will look for this.

Much better :slight_smile:

Dunno if it’s a ‘secret’ per se, but he uses both toasted and raw pistachios in the end product (as a mix in), and adds a pistachio paste/spread for extra pistachio-y oomph. Can you tell we love our pistachio ice cream? It’s one of the first things we connected on :slight_smile:

The best ever pistachio ice cream/gelato was a ‘salted’ gelato in Lucca. Amazeballz.

3 Likes

I made David Lebovitz’s pistachio gelato. I was very happy with the results.

2 Likes

Nice. No access to an ice cream maker currently, but saved for when I do :slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked that it is made from pistachio paste. I don’t have access to Italian pistachios, but I have access to Italian pistachio paste.

1 Like

Yes, we use pistachio paste and raw and toasted chopped pistachios for the texture contrast. But the paste really makes a diff!

3 Likes

I made this frozen yogurt, but with half the sugar and that was plenty.

I remembered the last time I attempted a mango sorbet recipe from Max and it was just kind of gross. Needed water and was too sweet. So this time I held back on sugar and this is much better. I could do with using even more yogurt really.

4 Likes

Passionfruit ice cream

Sadly stepped away for a few minutes and overchurned it. Fortunately, passionfruit is what the kids call a cheat code, always tastes good no matter what you do with it. Tasters guessed flavor as mango, mandarin, and pineapple. It has notes of all 3.

11 Likes

I made Stella Parks cherry ice cream a couple of days ago. It is fantastic; the cherry flavor is strong and bright.

I made it once before years ago. The reason I don’t make it all the time is that it calls for three and a half pounds of cherries with pits so frozen can’t be used. Good quality fresh cherries are expensive and it’s not worth making ice cream with flavorless supermarket cherries.

One of the farms that supplies our local farmers markets, Murray Family Farms, offered a deal on cherries, half price for cherries that had been taken to the farmers market and brought back to the farm as they didn’t sell. I jumped on this deal and bought a lot of Brooks cherries. I have enough left over to make David Lebovitz’s cherry jam.

8 Likes

The ice cream looks fantastic! I love that cherry jam recipe.

1 Like

I made this rhubarb crumble ice cream yesterday. Wow, it’s delicious.

My husband who is not nearly the rhubarb fan that I am took a taste, declared it perfect and asked me not to share any with the neighbors.

If you like rhubarb, you should make it.

As I like contrast in food, I used the rhubarb jam as a swirl instead of mixing it in. The ice cream base is pretty sweet so it contrasts nicely with the tart rhubarb swirl.

5 Likes

Thinking of new flavors to try this summer. I made coconut ice cream several years ago but I remember it being chewy. Gotta find a different recipe. I also want to try some kind of fudge swirl and a cheesecake ice cream. Also have to revisit the jamaica paletas that I attempted a couple of years ago and they were way too tart.

1 Like

I haven’t tried David Lebovitz’s coconut ice cream recipe yet. It’s on my to do list, but it’s stone fruit season now and I can get coconut any time.

It’s strained so I don’t think chewiness will be an issue.

I’ve made the Lebovitz recipe. It tastes like sweet, toasted coconut (no surprise). It was too coconutty for my taste, but if you’re a toasted coconut fan, you may like it.

Thanks for the review. Sweet toasted coconut is right up my alley.

Where is that? Are these tart or sweet cherries?