Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

It should be reliable. It’s built like a Daimler tank!

For some reason or other, I found that it got heavier year by year. I now have it in its own cabinet with a flip down door and on a pull out tray. It’s probably in the 60 lb. range…or it felt like that.

1 Like

is that a 1600?

I’m getting a Whynter most likely, but now I’m curious about @Nannybakes recommendation!

Unfortunately it’s about the same price on eBay as new machines, though of course if it’s that durable it’s worth consideration. Do you have any idea what the energy consumption is like? One thing with older models I worry about outside the USA is how much juice they pull.

Can’t tell you that, no numericals in the info I have.

Given that it was made in Italy forty years ago, can’t answer that but unless you are going to use it for a business, it only runs 20-25 minutes for a batch.

1 Like

MiG, most likely it’s the 1600, there is a timer dial to the left , not shown in picture. Given that I bought it in 1981, I would think there might be some minor differences in subsequent versions of that particular model.

Noted thanks.

The prices on ebay are pretty intense, but I’d certainly pick it up at a garage sale. Not that I ever go to any.

1 Like

I really like the Jeni’s splendid ice cream recipes, with my two favorites so far being the bramble berry crisp & the banana with caramelized white chocolate freckles.

I also really liked her concord grape sorbet, it doesn’t involve cooking the grapes so it keeps more of the grape flavor.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting these! We grow Concord grapes, and will give the sorbet a go if we get a decent crop, and beat the birds to them.

1 Like

I’m so jealous of someone having a supply of Concord grapes like that. Pie made from them is one of my favorite baked goods, and grape focaccia is another.

2 Likes

Have done the focaccia and also an olive oil cake with grapes, but have never made a grape pie before. Fingers crossed for a good crop! Maybe we’ll even put up some netting to keep the birds out too.

1 Like

My husband plants pretty much whatever I request.

I asked for Concord grapes. He planted them on our front porch.

We have a huge crop every summer. The little girl across the street eats her weight in grapes every year.

4 Likes

We grow concordes, and never really figured out a good use for them outside of snacking. Not a fan of grape jelly. I bookmarked the sorbet recipe mentioned up-thread to try later this year.

2 Likes

We got a rather insipid watermelon, so I turned it into granita with some lime juice, sugar, and a few mint leaves thrown in. Much better!

7 Likes

Yes, you did that on your very productive day in the kitchen! Good job! I love rescuing sub par stuff, or turning baking mishaps into something fantastic.

2 Likes

Here trucks drive by selling different produce over a loudspeaker. You usually have to hail them so they stop, but this guy always stops at our house and calls for my mom because she usually buys something from him. Yesterday she was out when they came by and I always feel bad not buying something from them. I warned him that the last time he sold us a watermelon it was lousy, but he assured me that this one would be good. I told him he’d have to deal with my mother’s wrath if he sold us another bum watermelon. He did this morning when he stopped by. If he stops by tomorrow I’ll give him a cup of granita :joy:.

3 Likes

Where do you live, if you don’t mind sharing?

I live in a small town in the Dominican Republic. I loved in NYC most of my life.

3 Likes