Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

David Lebovitz’s Pumpkin Ice Cream.

Deets on the Holiday Treats Thread.

3 Likes

I made raspberry/yogurt paletas, strained out the seeds BUT next I’ll use a finer strainer cause some seeds went through.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I just stumbled upon a FB marketplace listing for an ice cream shop available in my town, turnkey. Sigh.

3 Likes

A few days ago I made the Baked Occasions peppermint stick ice cream via David Lebovitz’s post.

I made it into ice cream sandwiches. I used the chocolate ice cream sandwich recipe on Smitten Kitchen.

Ihttps://smittenkitchen.com/2021/06/chocolate-ice-cream-sandwiches/

Wow, the ice cream sandwiches are fantastic as is the ice cream by itself. I like it so much I’m considering making a second batch.

Crushing the candy canes was initially a challenge. First I tried using a rolling pin with little success, then I tried using a ten inch cast iron pan with little success. Finally I used a twelve inch enameled cast iron pan (In other words, it was heavy.); it worked nicely. I got candy cane bits all over the kitchen including the floor. One of my dogs refused to eat them; my other dog thought they were delicious.

I recommend that you use a shallow nine by twelve pan for the cookies. I used one with three inch sides and it was difficult to spread the batter evenly.

5 Likes

I always have peppermint ice cream for Christmas but I couldn’t find my favorite in any of the grocery stores. I’ll have to give this recipe a try. I ended up making eggnog ice cream, added a little bourbon.

1 Like

This peppermint ice cream has a lovely texture. It has quite a bit of peppermint extract which seems to have enough alcohol to keep it smooth.

1 Like

The sandwiches sound amazingly delicous!

Would it help to put the candy-canes in a bag before crushing?

It might help to put the candy canes in a bag. However, I am committed to reducing my consumption of single use plastic.

1 Like

Just wrapping them in a tea towel would have a similar effect.

I believe that would result in a towel full of sticky candy cane shards.

I ended up putting the candy canes on a cutting board and smashing them with my heaviest enamel cast iron pan. As that method worked well, I’m not looking for another method.

Have any of you made a honey ice cream you particularly like? Got some nice honey for Xmas and want to use it in ice cream.

I haven’t made it, but I’ve read lots of raves for Alice Medrich’s recipe in Pure Dessert.

Here’s one:

FTR I think part of the sweetness being too much is that 1/8 tsp of salt is too little.

Another write-up:

1 Like

Coming up soon… butter pecan (based on an epicurious recipe). I’m always looking for the buttery, nutty pecan ice cream of my yout’ - Baskin & Robbins was a revelation back then, but I’ve not found any commercial brands I like. This has got to be better :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’m making this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, and it doesn’t use that much honey, but the panforte ice cream in The Perfect Scoop is delicious! He also has a lavender honey ice cream and Roquefort honey ice cream along with a turrón one.

Brown butter pecan ice cream :yum:

5 Likes

HOLY COW that looks great! is it?

Very much so!

Georgia wildflower honey ice cream in progress. I upped the salt a tiny bit because (1) channeling @Shellybean and (2) the idea of salted honey appealed to me. Tasting the base, I added an additional 2 teaspoons of honey from the 1/3 cup I started with, and then adjusted the salt. It’s delicious. I can’t wait to churn it.

2 Likes