Holymood Stainless Steel Cutting Board -- your thought?

I doubt it - most people aren’t into knives (or cookware, or cooking, or food in general) the way HOs are, and think the equipment they supply for their rental is perfectly adequate. Having just spent a week in a rental with the dullest knives I have ever used, I will NEVER travel without my own again (I forgot to bring), but my sister, who is most definitely NOT a HO (she bakes but doesn’t love to cook), didn’t really care. Her own knives are so dull that she probably didn’t notice much of a difference.

3 Likes

My thoughts, sounds crazy.

Wood or plastic cutting boards are all I’ll use with my knives.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Are you open to this yourself?

I take at least minor difference with all of the enumerated “advantages”. Such a board certainly WILL be scratched up, will NOT be easier to clean, WILL dull and/or chip edges. Medical science has caught on that SS harbors bacteria and viruses for quite a long time.

And these are Butt Ugly.

I use my big ladle to “wash” my hands after cutting garlic. So I’m with you on not buying a stainless bar of soap!

1 Like

I’m not seeing any advantages here. While I don’t have super expensive knives, I do value the sharpness of them. And I use plastic cutting boards that are washed and then run through the dishwasher.

Come on Chem, aren’t you a little late for April Fools Day? :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah. The more I remember my glass cutting board experience, the more I remember the slippery. I think I was way more annoy of the slippery than its ability to dull knives. This stainless steel cutting board will like to this.

First impression - big no.

Second impression - big no.

Upon further thought and all due consideration - big no.

3 Likes

I will let you know. I saw these stainless steel cutting boards about 3 weeks ago in a grocery store in Los Angles. I was there last week. There was only one left. It seems they are selling well.

1 Like

No. I just thought the marketing messages are pretty good. It is mostly in the line of being healthier and cleaner.

1 Like

True story. First thing I do when checking into a vacation home is inventory the kitchen.

Step #2, if there is only a glass cutting board, throw it away (or hide it) and head on over to a thrift store to buy a working cutting board. It’s preferably wood for me, but plastic can work if done right.

2 Likes

OH my . I did what you did. I went to a local TJMaxx or Home Goods… whatever, and got a small olive wood board (probably consider a cheese board)

So, let me get this straight … you’re hesitant …:joy:

Negatory. 10-4.

2 Likes

Pretty much, but it’s #2 on my list. First thing I do is go through the house top to bottom making sure there’re no broken/malfunctioning anythings that the host might try to hold against me, or missing “must-haves” like, housekeeping forgot to put pillows on any of the beds (actually happened).

Then I hit the kitchen in detail, both for the reasons you mention and also just to get a “what is where” map in my head, so I’m not having to go back and search stuff out when I’m also trying to cook.

But we nearly always rent within driving distance (the limit for my wife is about a 14 hour drive) so we also have the luxury of carrying stuff from home. A laundry basket with kitchen stuff including at least 2 good knives, cutting board, a couple of good all-purpose pans, and a whisk, as far as cooking utensil type things are concerned.

1 Like

I’m not so sure it’s either healthier or cleaner. Did you notice the raised plastic rim on this… thing? How do you clean in/under/behind that?

Complete hygiene freaks would be better off with poly or composite boards that are DW-able. Not that there’s any real issues with wood, but if they’d wotty/obsess less…

The horror of cutting steel-on-steel is beyond my ability to describe.

3 Likes

Salt bath would work.

Of course, then there’d be no raised plastic rim to worry about. :slight_smile:

(Edit - I was joking about the industrial, molten salt baths used to clean equipment. Just now remembered that there are more conventional “salt baths” like for soaking your feet!)

IME, Stainless is common in commercial kitchens.

For cutting boards?

Yes, as cutting surfaces. When the butcher blocks are in use, I have seen cooks cleaning a stainless table and using that as a subsurface for cutting.

Maybe the kitchens that have 20 knives on a magnetic rack cut on stainless. Maybe when it gets busy, some restaurants improvise.

1 Like

My knives aren’t that great, but I’d sure be reluctant to use a stainless steel cutting board.
We’ve got some heavy plastic cutting boards that are used for meat, but the wood ones get used for the non meat applications. We’ve never been poisoned by cutting boards. The plastic ones go in th dishwasher.
A few years back I saw some packages of alder planks for grilling salmon at Costco and bought a pack. I don’t think they’ve ever ben been used for salmon, but I’ve been using the first one as a little cutting board for years- very handy. It finally has a split partway down the middle so at some point it’ll be used on the grill as flavoring, and I’ll start using the next one.

1 Like