Holiday Treats 2022

I think that was in the supercharged Chex mix thread.

1 Like

One last Christmas cookie ( I think). A variation of a Dorie Greenspan recipe that I really like…
https://www.chouquettekitchen.com/blog/2021/12/19/iced-hermit-bars-with-candied-ginger good for ginger lovers!!!

16 Likes

Ran out of butter so used part oil. Happy Hannuka.

9 Likes

I was reading about these just now. I have never had a “hermit.” They must be a regional thing …?

1 Like

This seems like halfway to a biscotti?

Kind of classic American, I think, but not something I knew growing up. The first version I made was from Maida Heatter’s original cookie book.

3 Likes

They’re like a chewy bar cookie. Most recipes I’ve seen are baked in a pan like typical bar cookies.

4 Likes

There’s a thread somewhere about Hermits. I will find it. They originated in New England but they are also common in Ontario.

a cakey hermit?

5 Likes

With considerable help from family, we made this Snowflake Kransekake. (Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing)

Tower1

Tower2

More photos and info on my Cookie Help! thread.

24 Likes

From New England, I’m very familiar with Hermits. Yours are picture perfect RStuart! Now I want to make a batch!

For those wondering about the texture they aren’t like biscotti, they are softer and chewier.

5 Likes

Ah, a New England tradition, apparently!

1 Like

It turned out beautifully!

Paging @LindaWhit!!

1 Like

I saw the post, @GretchenS and meant to comment on it! I like that they don’t include candied fruit like raisins or currants. It’s been printed, and I might play around with it next week after this week’s work is done. Looks VERY easy!

3 Likes

I grew up on hermits in Rhode Island but they never had frosting on them! Probably should have. I would have loved that!

2 Likes

The hermits I grew up with in Massachusetts also didn’t have icing and were cut into largish squares. I make them now as RStuart did and add a little orange zest to the simple icing.

5 Likes

I often make hermits either in the shapes shown above or pressed in a baking pan. I add candied ginger if I have it on hand but I always include raisins.
Hermits are a soft cookie which tastes even better the next day. No icing.

3 Likes

I like to use lemon juice in the icing, which makes a good complement to the spices.

4 Likes

NY Times article on panettone:

5 Likes

Thank you! They went over well at work!

1 Like