Holiday Treats 2022

My friend used joke that the West starts at Thunder Bay, but sometimes I think Western Canada starts somewhere around Woodstock. :rofl:

1 Like

I have definitely overcommitted this December: trying to do All the Things, and see All the People. I really want to try this recipe, but went with something that I thought was a bit “easier” ( it was not that easy). https://joythebaker.com/2021/12/gingerbread-ricciarelli-chewy-italian-almond-flour-cookies/

Meh. Well, I don’t like almond much, so possibly would more popular with nut lovers?

8 Likes

All I can say is you don’t need to look hard to find awesome wolf apparel

We go up yearly if we can to fish for walleye and visit friends

This time of year they visit us !

4 Likes

I saw some Ricciarelli at Jill’s Table, LdnOnt’s last surviving Fancy Kitchen Shop, and they were $19.99/ box. Which seemed steep for something I might not love. LOL.

I’m just going to buy one or 2 individual ricciarelli some time if I see them at Forno Cultura or another Italian bakery.

Our standard almond cookie is the kourabiede, in the shortbread family, cousins to Mexican Wedding Cakes and Kipferl. Recipes vary a lot. Our recipe is has more almonds than flour, butter.

I haven’t made a ricotta & almond cookie recipe yet. My no-but cream cheese thumbprints were meh.

1 Like

There are also a few indie clothing brands based in Ontario with Wolf in the brand name now, too. Some Canadian jewelry lines, too. And a rock band.

You’re not gonna do better than the Thunder Bay airport gift shop or the one at quetico provincial park. I love that I’m now fashionable.

I get a wonderful visual from your description of your journey. Happy holidays!

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Yep, back at it and it’s great - we backed off during Covid, especially the 1st year, but pretty much back to normal now. Who knows, you could be in the delivery zone!!?? Happy travels to you!

2 Likes

Cranberry spice bundt from NYT Cooking (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023730-cranberry-spice-bundt-cake)

This was a triumph. The cake is absolutely delicious - highly recommend this recipe. Gorgeous, tender orange-scented cake with a lovely hit of winter spices, and the tart burst of fresh cranberry in every bite. The only change I made to the recipe was to add about 1/8 tsp of orange oil, but the orange zest in the batter probably did most of the work here.

18 Likes

Oooh, so beautiful, and sounds great according to your description. Thanks for linking the recipe.

1 Like

So pretty!
I do love what yogurt does to the texture of cake.

2 Likes

I will look forward to the day that I am!

Happy holidays to you and yours, and to all the lucky recipients!

It is nice to be getting back to old traditions; my family will be back together for winter holidays after 3 years, hard to believe. (And even though we’re now fighting off 4+ circulating illnesses, ugh — I masked for the first few days off the plane just out of an abundance of caution.)

6 Likes

Hope the party is fantastic!

(We have famous local potato chips — or more accurately, wafers — here too, but the order has to be timed right to get them fresh off the fryer, and also not completely consumed by those with immediate access :joy:)

2 Likes

That’s the kind of Bundt pan I need to serve ‘just a taste’ slices. Not for my fam; at least four of those sections per person, minimum.

5 Likes

I made a pile o’ chick nuts for snacking today and then thought I’d put them in the ‘chex mix’ type snackies I make up and give out for New Year’s celebrations. I’m going to need at least a 10 gallon tub this year just to mix it all!

1 Like

Improved my Krumkake technique yesterday. A half-recipe batch of 14 cookies were mxed, griddled and rolled while a batch of Crispix mix baked in the oven.

17 Likes

Can’t find comment somewhere above that mentioned they liked bugles as an add in to the chex mix. I’d never had them but did get a bag for the chex mix. Thank you to whomever recommended them. Love them in the mix.

7 Likes

Fritos and macadamia nuts are also good additions.

3 Likes

YUM! On my to-try list…

2 Likes
4 Likes