HOLIDAY SPECIALTIES (all faiths/traditions/nationalities) - Cuisine of the Quarter, Fall 2018 (Oct-Dec)

Opera Singer…pls don’t leave it there. Details.

We tried so many versions and all too often it was the dessert left on the table begging for attention. And leftover tiramisu is awfully blah.

Actually for me, I grew up next to a family that was Roman Catholic, and their son is still one of my best friends after some 64 years!..We do get together almost yearly near the holidays and visit and have a meal… My friend Peter always makes his mom’s banana cake…nothing special, but always remembered his mom serving us a slice with a glass of milk , during the Christmas recess from school… (tears in my eyes).

4 Likes

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! We don’t participate in religious traditions but we do exchange gifts and of course have a celebratory meal! Tomorrow we’ll head to Flushing for dim sum, but today was all about nut patties! Breakfast of champions.

Add images

9 Likes

Gorgeous! Are the nut patties sweet? They look like mini pecan pies…
Flushing dim sum sounds like a great plan - plus no dishes afterwards!

1 Like

They are sweet, but not overly so. The filling has less sugar and more butter than your typical pecan pie, and no corn syrup or treacle. There is a lower filling-to-crust ratio than with pie, too, and raisins (or dried cherries, in my case) to add some brightness. Also, I use walnuts, which have that bitter edge. IMO they are a much more interesting and balanced flavor profile than pecan pie. I sub maple syrup for half the sugar for further complexity!

1 Like