HOLIDAY SPECIALTIES (all faiths/traditions/nationalities) - Cuisine of the Quarter, Fall 2018 (Oct-Dec)

I’m pleased to announce that by unanimous decision, our Cuisine of the Quarter for Fall 2018 will be HOLIDAY SPECIALTIES of all faiths, traditions and nationalities. Most cultures and religions celebrate at least one major holiday during this quarter, so this should be the perfect time to share our own traditional favorites and learn about the traditions of others!

Personally, American Thanksgiving is the first major holiday in this quarter that we celebrate regularly, but I occasionally use Canadian Thanksgiving as a good excuse to do a dry run of new recipes I am considering for American T-day. My husband is also a huge Halloween/Samhain freak, so we often have a special meal then (although it usually revolves around fun-sized candy bars, LOL). I look forward to learning about all of your traditions and I hope to find some delicious new recipes at the same time!

5 Likes

Fun theme!

There are at least two major Indian (Hindu) holidays in the quarter - Diwali/New Year is the big one in November, and there’s another holiday in October that’s big in certain communities/states - Navratri/Puja.

2 Likes

Simchat Torah started today October 2, 2018…it is the love for the Torah. A traditional food that I do remember us have something like a wonton called Kreplach…which is a filled dumpling that made with out dairy and is served usually in chicken or beef soup. the Kreplach has either a ground onion chicken or beef filling, although several years ago I tired a lamb and duck filled kreplach.

I do remember sitting at my grandmother’s table with one of my cousins rolling out the dough and placing some filling in the middle and folding the round dough to form a crescent and then pinching all of the sides. My grandmother then boiled them in salted water for just a few minutes because the filling was already cooked beef or chicken with onions and garlic and then put through the hand crank grinder attached to the counter for the occasion.
When the soup was served several of the kreplach were put into the bowl and her hot soup was poured over them… Wonderful comfort food!

6 Likes

What dishes do you prepare for these holidays?

Oy, there are a lot. The October one is a 9/10-day holiday, traditionally with fasting (or at least staying vegetarian as the low bar). The November one is 4/7 days depending on how you count, with special sweets and savories made in advance for the period, as well as other things that are made on particular days. And more stuff that’s purchased. Phew! Favorite holiday as a kid (so much yummy eating! everywhere you go for days!)

I usually make a couple of things to make it feel like it’s a holiday, mix of sweet and savory snacks.

And I’ll cook something big to take to whatever get-togethers happen (at friends’ or family’s homes) during that time - either a main or dessert, whatever works for the hosts’ menu.

1 Like

Mix of sweet and savory snacks…

When the time comes, please detail those recipes/dishes by name. There are Indian foods I enjoy so much but I am clueless to their origin or place in traditional holiday foods. Educate me, pls😉

1 Like

Will do. I recall you had a thread going for NJ indian markets - suggest you make a trip at the end of Oct/beg of Nov - they will be bursting with the goodies!

1 Like

My family tree is never more evident than holiday time. At this stage what remains of living relatives results in passing down modern versions of more traditional recipes to our young adult family members. I bet that’s true for many.

I will give greater thought to specific dishes. Thanksgiving is the biggest food holiday in our family in part because its religion neutral in our blended families. We head to my bros cabin and feast, play and catch up over three days. I cant wait now that Im off the job to join in more completely.

2 Likes

Oh I have and we do but its so busy we kind of rush all over eating! I have much to learn👍

No, I mean the holiday goodies - they aren’t made at other times of the year! People now buy many of the things that used to be made at home, so there are good versions available when it gets closer to Diwali.

For example, the sweet shop I go to in Jackson Heights clears out their normal stock and the store is filled with tables laden with fresh sweets that are multiples better than what you would get the rest of the year.

3 Likes

Like ladoo, halwa, etc?

Special types of laddoo, halwa, katli, barfi, etc.

:+1::+1: some of my absolute favorites!

So true!

1 Like

The other best part is all the food sharing. I usually share my plate/restaurant order so I can taste everything!

It’s meant to be eaten family style :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t know the traditional greeting for this holiday, so I’ll just say happy Simchat Torah! Your soup with kreplach sounds delicious - I am a fan of any kind of dumpling.

1 Like

II will look forward to hearing more about these holidays - I love love love Indian food so I don’t need much of an excuse to try a new recipe!

Thank you for mentioning kreplach, I have great memories of my grandmother making them when I was a young child…

2 Likes

Let me know when you are coming to JH…I have a business there!..I will be gald to shadow you to learn from you!!!

1 Like