HOLIDAY SPECIALTIES (all faiths/traditions/nationalities) - Cuisine of the Quarter, Fall 2018 (Oct-Dec)

I wish we didn’t have turkey as the only protein… I end up eating mostly sides for the main meal, and a sandwich later. Turkey soup and turkey curry made from leftovers are much tastier than the main event :joy:

3 Likes

Saregama,
I kind agree with the turkey protein… several years ago, we decided to add another protein and we took a straw poll and we came away with brisket. We were 18 people, mostly adults and grown children. We then asked for three volunteers…We had a oldtimer like me and two of the 20 something young’ns…
It was not a disaster but very interesting. We had a old fashioned eastern European brisket, made in the oven with a tomato, onion, and coffee and some red wine.
Next up was a whole brisket that was cooked completely over a grill for umpteenth hours, seasoned with only salt and pepper, sliced at the table.

The third was simply made by browning the meat, adding some red wine then a bottle or two of Kraft barbecue sauce!!! (your eyes are ok)…
I did the whole brisket on the grill /smoker…the winner the barbecue sauce brisket…go tell???

5 Likes

Sounds good!

Aw, I would have voted for yours for sure!

2 Likes

We always had turkey, ham, and a wild rice casserole made with roast beef and mushrooms. Since we’ve lived in Oregon we’ve tried to include Dungeness crab :crab:
Meat for days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:
:star_struck:
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Big Sunday catch up session as I have been pretty delinquent…

I made three savory snacks and a sweet one - all in puri / fried cracker form.

• Suvali - sweet, lightly flavored with cardamom
  • Farsi puri - salty, with lots of cracked pepper and a bit of cumin
  • Goba puri - similar to the one above but thicker
  • Masala puri - standard inclusion as a family favorite

Lot of dough. Lot of rolling/pressing. Lot of frying. One kid asked: why are you making SO MANY? I said: how many do you eat at a time? He said: 2 (he ate 8 this afternoon). I said: :rofl::sob::rofl::sob::rofl::sob: then asked him to help me up from the floor.

Rasmalai - ricotta cheese balls soaked in milk/cream - also made at home to take elsewhere.

Fun with swiping pics again :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Our family Thanksgiving was discussed at length during our Halloween fun last wknd. Meal discussion has quickly continued on txt with pics, recipe links and votes. I’m leaving the final decision to my grandmother, Aunt and my wife (I’m no fool) but I hope it includes a wild rice chestnut stuffing, beet soup and my brothers baked whole fish. I enjoy the traditional foods too but I look forward to those wildcard foods more. I’ve been asked to roast a veg medley and then to focus on getting the house, yard and bar organized…in other words…holiday time is my wifes domain. :+1:

So far the grub list circulating on txt is shaping up:
Turkey, parts roasted not a whole bird
While baked fish w lemongrass butter
Roasted B sprouts with lemony dip
Beet soup
Roasted veg medley with tahini drizzle
Wild rice chestnut stuffing
Foccacia olive and rosemary
Pumpkin something…
Cookie collective
Poached pears

3 Likes

Wow !!!

Dan, did you say your grandmother?

Yes. Grandma B is nearly 90. Still maintains her ranch home, cooks, bakes and joins me for pizza dinner monthly. She and my Aunt are the only elders left.

5 Likes

That is absolutely awesome!.. Give’m and extra helping of turkey for me!!!

Oh they eat like birds! But I am grateful for their dedication to our family. I lost both my parents at diff times but both tragically. These women kept me and my younger sibs in line. Holidays are all about their keeping the memories.

10 Likes

After 20 plus years with my family (cousins and aunt and uncles) which has swelled to over 60-70 plus friends which has taken it to near 100 which has taken it to the next level, we’ve been having TG at my in laws in Birmingham. Always at my wife’s aunts house. Same menu every year. Low fat meal (uncle is a physcian and long distance runner). Unlike the boisterous gathering with coupious amounts of alcohol and other indulgences at my families gatherings, this is quite subdued. Football watched on a 13" TV…tea and coffee you get the point. It is what it is and its family which is meaningful none the less

Still thinking its time to do alternate TGs. I’m missing the party atmosphere

4 Likes

Man, that’s a crowd! :grin:
I love celebrations of all kinds. But nothing beats a quiet moment with a glass of something grand just cause.

No alcohol, no cigars.

Something grand, your call😄.

Last year I brought 2oz samples of 10 malts and 10 bourbons plus Armagnacs to be enjoyed with my BIL and one of my wife’s uncles to be enjoyed “back at the ranch” after dinner. Also Cuban cigars to be enjoyed by anyone who wanted. Just call me the candy man

7 Likes

:thinking:

http://www.insidethekaganoffkitchen.com/2012/02/13/cranberry-eton-mess/

does anyone include a Eton Mess dessert on their holiday table? As layered desserts go, this looks delicious.

1 Like