HO Dinner @Indian Table, 2/2/24, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn

Another very fine HO dinner at Indian Table last night, coordinated by @Saregama and @SteveR, and with @JenKalb and @ninkat also in attendance, plus assorted significant others. It is Restaurant Week, but we deviated from the set menu somewhat. I’m gonna get some stuff wrong in this description, so someone please correct me.

This I will not get wrong: the Candolim Vaddo, which I’ve had before and which contains many things I like, namely gin, salted cucumber, curry leaves and tonic (not so into tonic, tbh, but it works here). Very refreshing. Also, the staff kept trying to snatch my glass before I was done, so make sure you keep an eye on yours!

We started with an array of appetizers, some nice soft squid in a light cheese-y sauce, and - the meal’s highlight for me - cod fritters, crispy outside, creamy inside, generally perfect. Also a nice big prawn, that was unfortunately a bit spongy. And a bunch of other stuff I didn’t try.

Everyone had their own thali, with a fish curry, rice, crab, kingfish, poori, paratha, pickle and a couple of salads. My faves were the fish curry (the gravy was excellent) and the crab, which was roasted with a spice paste. I found the kingfish a little dry. And I may be in the minority in that I liked the rice, which was a short grain red variety and stickier than what might be expected. That cup in the lower left is supposed to be drunk after the meal. It was very sauce-like, however, and not very drink-like.

To finish, a Portuguese egg tart. How many cuisines do these pop up in? Seems like a lot. I am a big fan, and this was a good version.

3 Likes

A year later, back to Indian Table for Goan-themed Restaurant Week (courtesy @vinouspleasure’s attention to when they are curating special menus).

Instead of the individually-served thalis they are featuring for RW, we ate family-style from the RW menu.

APPETIZERS:

Balchao De Camarão

Croquetas De Bacalhao

Tony’s Shack Cheese Mankyo (Squid)

Brito’s Peri Peri Chicken Meatballs

Beef Fritters

MAINS:

For RW they are presenting the main course as part of a generous “Jhovan” / Thali (ie dining plate or platter) which contains:
— Goan red rice
— Vode (fried bread, like a puri)
— Solan koddi (a drink made from kokum / dried mangosteen and coconut milk)
— Cabbage slaw
— Eggplant pickle
— Rice Poppadum

Sunday Fish Curry ‘KODI’

Crab XEC XEC,

Semolina batter spice marinated fried fish ‘Rawa Fry” kismor

Chicken Xacuti

Assado De Leitao (Pork belly roast)

Beef Cutlet

DESSERT:

Pasteis De Nata

Pudim De Queijo / Flan

7 Likes

My favorites:

— Croquetas
— Squid (this was a surprise like for me, given the cheese sauce)
— Beef fritters
— Beef cutlets (like spiced scallopini)
— Crab masala
— Kimgfish rava fry

I don’t usually like Goan fish curry because it’s too sour for me (ground in vinegar), but their version last night was not that, and I enjoyed it a lot.

The desserts were a miss relative to the rest of the dinner — the flan was fine, the tarts were reheated in the microwave which made the pastry soggy.

Compared to past restaurant week meals here, I thought last year’s Goan meal was stronger in the mains, but last night’s had better appetizers and more selections.

All of last year’s mains were fantastic, far better than any of last night’s — mushroom xacuti, fish amot tik, pork ribs, and lamb chops.

But last night apps were slightly better to my palate than last year’s — the croquetas were fabulous, the squid was a surprise, and both fried beef dishes were well-done

They are always generous with food portions, but last night’s selection was more varied than last year’s because they added a dry dish to the thali (we effectively had 6 mains instead of 4).

3 Likes

My first exposure to Goan cuisine. I had no idea about the Portuguese influence. I have some reading up to do!

1 Like

I’m so surprised, because Goan is most likely to sneak onto any Indian restaurant menu in the form of Vindaloo and Goan fish curry :joy:

Did you ever watch Top Chef Masters? (The late) Floyd Cardoz (who won his season) was probably one of the best-known ambassadors of Goan food in the US.

It’s among the most well-known regional cuisines outside India (but the Vindaloo-Fish curry rut gets old).

I’ve definitely had Vindaloo, but the whole Portuguese angle is new to me. I have so much to learn! I don’t watch Top Chef but that may eventually change. :grin:

1 Like

They still speak Portuguese in Goa (I’m sure it’s indianized, but even so). And there were a lot of religious conversions with colonization, so the population is either Catholic or Hindu, and the cuisines are different.

1 Like

Just to add, I also had a really nice cocktail last night (no picture), but it arrived with the herb garnish (rosemary?) burning and giving off a lovely scent. Basically it was mezcal and cranberry (maybe some other things). Fantastic and verrrry alcoholic. I would not have remembered all of the food we ate, but I also thought it was fantastic! @Saregama, I looked back and I think the dinner from “last year” that you are recalling was the one we ate outside in August of 2022! You were away for the one we had over the summer '23, but I think last night’s was to my palate the best of the bunch. I really enjoyed all of the fishy things we had (croquetas, crab, curry, shrimp [mine not overcooked this time!],squid) also I enjoyed the chicken meatballs and the bits of beef, as well as the little salad and there were two chutneys (don’t know if that’s what they were): the eggplant pickle? (it was dark red), and there was another one that was chopped up veggies that packed a wallop (spice-wise), anyway enjoyed all of that too.

Thanks for arranging; we got to taste so many more amazing dishes in our numbers, and it was great to see everyone. Also thanks to the @vinouspleasures for suggesting and bringing the wine! What a treat.

Gosh you’re right! Last year was such a blur.

The Goan meal was the previous summer, last summer was Malvani, which I wasn’t back in time for, and last Feb was Parsi.

We should probably just have had a single Indian Table thread we keep adding to.

1 Like

It would be this one, but one of the mods threw a date into my title.

No, it should have been the thread for the first meal we had at Indian Table Aug '22 – every subsequent meal report should have been an update to that as a restaurant thread.

In any case, I think the two Goan meals were definitely better than the other two (not that I am complaining, getting to try so many things). Last winter (I think) there was a special to the regular menu one night when I was there with my daughter that was an enormous (really bigger than my hand) shrimp (?) that had been split open and grilled. I am seeing many pictures of such crustaceans as I am planning my trip to Portugal (home to many Goan restaurants, as it happens) and wonder if that is a particularly Goan type of seafood? Monster shrimp?

1 Like

No, not Goan, just coastal.
Those giant prawns are lobster-like and absolutely delicious.
(Aside from Mumbai, I’ve had them in New York and Toronto, but from specialty seafood places – but they’re not always or often available.)

2 Likes

interesting meal and great company as always
excellent dishes I would definitely choose to have again
-the shrimp balchao, great chili sauce
-the chicken xacuti
-salt cod croquetas
-eggplant pickle
-kokum “cooler”
dishes I thought were very good but were somehow lacking
-the beef cutlets and patties
-squid with cheese - very mild and savory, like keto pasta
-the little dried shrimp and coconut salad

acceptable but unlikely to order again
-all the fish thali dishes, though they were better than my first experience with this thali
-pork belly - very flabby, not much flavor
-chicken meatballs - sauce was good, meatballs underseasoned and I just dont like the texture of chicken meatballs (not the chef’s fault)

In general I felt the food was spiced and seasoned very lightly - it didnt really pop. I agree that the meats including the feijoada and sardines in the first goan meal were considerably more exciting.

• IMO both of the fried items would have benefitted from being accompanied with some sort of chutney or sauce to set them off. The shreds of lemony cabbage were not enough, nor were the salady garnishes.

Always interested in what Chef Eric is trying!

1 Like

I mentioned to Jen that I found the beef cutlet didn’t have much spicing and reminded of schnitzel. This morning I recalled beef Milanese was served by many of the Portuguese restaurants near our town in Westchester and has a similar taste profile (though the beef is pounded thinner than the Indian Table version) so I’m guessing that’s the touchpoint for the beef cutlet dish.

As is pretty much common knowledge, we really like this place and have been going regularly for a couple of years now. We had this RW menu a couple of weeks ago with some (other) friends & I thought that the beef cutlet was actually better this time. Fine as part of a multi-offering meal, but not something I’d order as my entree. The beef strips app. was, in my opinion, the better beef dish. Generally, I think we all go into these type events realizing that we’ll get to try a lot of things but that not everything will be a hit. In this case, I thought that most of what I had were worth having, with some that I’ll try to convince them to keep on the menu. Its too bad that they had to substitute the hard shell crabs for the soft shells due to availability, but they were well seasoned and I didn’t mind cracking the shells and trying to eat this in “public”. And I thought the chicken meatballs to be pretty spicy, enough so that I inherited most of Ginny’s.

you married well!

1 Like

It was important to find someone with poor taste in men (& a light appetite). Now, 39 years later, she’s used to what she got.

Thats’ interesting – the beef cutlet actually had a masala paste under the batter, which I did not detect in the strips.

However, it was hard for me to detect flavors in some things because others were heavily spiced without an offsetting carb – for eg the shrimp balchao masala overwhelmed my taste of the meatballs, and I found them under-salted, which I don’t know if they were or weren’t. (Normally balchao would be eaten with rice or bread, it’s a pickle, that’s why it’s so heavily spiced.) The crab had similarly heavy spicing (again, meant for a rice foil).

In asides, he forgot that I requested the other beef (jeerem meerem, which Steve had liked the prior week), because we really didn’t need two pretty similar fried beef items.

And he also forgot we requested a vegetable per @JenKalb, which he had described to me in detail on the phone.

But he was very excited about the fried kingfish steaks and gave us more than we needed of that instead (at a slight upcharge) because I stressed that we had one pescatarian (I would have been fine with just half a piece of that, and more of something saucy).

@SteveR I was very surprised that they subbed rock crabs on the RW menu, because it’s a difficult and time-consuming thing to eat in that kind of setting.

2 Likes

Not much question your wife had much better taste in men than my wife.