HO Dinner at Wu's Wonton King 11/19 [Chinatown LES]

We are posting a Group Dinner at Wu’s Garden.

6.30 pm Saturday, November 19

Please join us as we will have a table for 10.

1 Like

I’m in, as is Medium H.

1 Like

Ginny (my wife) & I are in as well. That makes 6 so far, with Dean & Kay.

I’m busy that evening. Have fun!

Jim and I are in!

8!

enjoy!

Regrets but wishing everyone happy eating for Thanksgiving!

We now have 9. I will try to finalize the reservation with Wu’s by tomorrow. I still plan to tell them we need a table for 10, just in case we get a last minute addition (& so they don’t try to stuff us into a table for 8). Anyone wanna add in?
We’ll miss the presence of ninkat, Dave Cook & the vinouspleasures, but welcome Dean & Kay back to NYC for another visit.

1 Like

This is getting to be regular thing! We mostly eat out as a couple so joining in with others is a treat for us.

I spoke with Wu’s Manager today and he wanted us to come at 6pm instead. We compromised at 6:15pm. Indoor table, 10 people. We still have an opening if anyone wants to be the 10th.

1 Like

6:15 it is.

We should be able to get there by 6 easily. But not enough time to pregame a Katz sandwich or 2!

Eh, it’s Chinese food, so you’ll be hungry an hour later anyway, and Katz’ is open all night!

1 Like

See you all at Wu’s at 6:15pm tomorrow (Sat) evening. Reservation for a table indoors under “Steve”. They have wine/beer but have always allowed byob. Hopefully, they still do.

1 Like

looking forward to it!!

1 Like

I am jealous! I like just about every type of wonton, and this looks excellent.
Enjoy!

Wu’s…cum comedi? My Latin is terrible.

Salt-baked anchovies. Not much evidence of anchovy, plenty of evidence of salt! This would make a good bar snack.

IMG_5139

Snow pea leaves with three kinds of egg. Egg was great, leaves a little tough. Nice broth.

IMG_5137

Fried grouper. Is a nice fish. Very good with some hot sauce, not as good without.

IMG_5141

Seafood casserole. This was a decent version, but it seemed to have been sitting out, as the vegetables were kinda wilty. But the tofu and the seafood did not suffer.

IMG_5144

Salt-baked shrimp. Maybe a little too much batter, but that shrimp flavor! Pow!

IMG_5146

Razor clams. With some heat, surprisingly. Very nicely prepared, not tough at all.

IMG_5140

Pork, I think. People who ate this, jump in and describe it!

IMG_5138

Crime scene.

IMG_5152

And last, the cheese course. According to our server. We thought it was mango jelly, but we are not experts.

IMG_5154

5 Likes

I really liked this dinner. Much better than the 1st group dinner we had there & better than many of my previous dinners there. The Roast Pork app. is always served cold & it’s never my favorite. The Peking Duck, in my opinion, was excellent, both inside the pancakes and in the large side dish of dark meat. I really enjoyed the seafood casserole, the shrimp & the razor clam dishes. All had fresh ingredients that had taste (not always the case). I always get the grouper & it’s always good enough (& even better with hot oil, as small_h says). And it’s always grouper and not tilapia. I didn’t think much of the anchovies. The snow pea shoots & egg dish wasn’t as good as it should have been, but the broth it created was nice. The bone soup with wontons is alway something I like & the fried rice was (as usual) ehh. Was there anything else? Did we really order (& eat) this much? And only $50/person with a 25%+ tip (no alcohol - they accommodated byob without hesitation). Given all the fresh seafood, a really nice surprise.

3 Likes

I think we overdid it on the fry, and probably next time I’ll get a braised noodle rather than a fried rice and see how that is.