HELP with soft-boiled eggs, plz!

I mean… it’s been pretttttty experimental lately trying to get the damn eggs to where we like them, so thanks for not being shy.

#newlifegoals :wink:

You may breathe again. This is the result using @Saregama’s method. One inch of wooder, bring to boil, add (room temp) eggs, turn down to simmer, take out after 7 min. As you can see, the yolk is far more set than I want it to be, but …look, ma: no spoogy whites! Yay. Obvy, the timing needs to be tweaked more.

Will try your method next time.

2 Likes

Yeah, 7:00 is too long. For me, that’s a hard-boiled egg. But you’ll find your perfect method. On the upside, all the “failures” are still palatable and don’t take up much room in your gut.

1 Like

#truth. And thank goodness I loves me some eggs for breakfast :wink:

I did 6m yesterday bec I wanted an egg after all the egg talk - yolk was runny when I cut it, set up a bit more by the time I took a pic. White was borderline for my taste, though.

Coincidentally saw a mark bittman post today about my other favorite method (NYTimes) - egg into cold water, bring to a gentle boil, cover and turn off the heat.

At the end of the day, the end result is the same. But I do think the time varies slightly by number of eggs, pot size, heat source, method of cooling, and so on.

a

4 Likes

I like to keep all my eggs in one basket…keep all my duck’s (eggs*) in a row.

Here’s my soft-boiled from that thread; steamed for 8 minutes. I think one was same day, the others peeled after two days.

I don’t think it’s fool proof.

*P.S. someone in the neighborhood is offering chicken and duck eggs! Anyone boiling those?

3 Likes

Another victim to the power of suggestion, I had a five and a half minute egg, set white and runny yolk, with an English muffin.

4 Likes

Room temp or refrigerated?

Yep, me too. I had a 6 minute large egg, from the fridge, perfectly set white, runny yolk. Bacon soldiers. I have been using the “prick large end with push pin, drop in boiling water for however minutes I want for runnyness/firmness, shock in ice water just long enough to handle.” I haven’t had a failure yet.

1 Like

Hmmm. I’ve been poking both ends. Only the bottom?

*lemme rephrase that…… :smiley:

2 Likes

On the counter about 15 minutes but previously in the fridge. It was a large brown.

OK, 15 min prolly didn’t warm it up all that much.

Just the top, large end. Well I guess, unless your eggs are upside down.

1 Like

I thought the narrow part was the top :grimacing:

Quite clearly I’m not a chicken.

1 Like

Who knows, I guess the chicken does. To me the top is the way they are put in the carton. Large end up, narrow end down.

There’s an air space in the larger end, barely poking the shell with a pin won’t rupture the membrane that surrounds the egg, if you pierce the narrow end you may have egg streaming out during cooking

2 Likes

I am learning so much I never knew I didn’t know :smiley:

2 Likes

all kinds of goodie info available . . .

1 Like

Wow! I hope he can channel that into something desirable and profitable. Most of us are more pedestrian about losing our mojo. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve never pierced an egg. Whatever that’s supposed to do, I don’t need it.

1 Like