Help with February Barcelona food choices

Feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the amazing Barcelona food choices. My daughter and I are staying at Casa Camper in Raval area, arriving mid day on Wednesday, Feb 15 and returning on the 20th. Figuring on leaving that arrival afternoon and dinner open since not sure how far we’ll want to roam first night. If we get in on schedule may do El Quim at Boqueria or just eat a ton of pastries at Escriba.

Made dinner reservations at Canete, Dos Pebrots Friday lunch at Slow & Low and Sunday lunch at Compartir,(waitlisted for Disfrutar where I ate in 2018). Considering another lunch slot at Oria or Caelis but wondering if we should just pop around different tapas places. I’ve read the recent reports but am trying to whittle down. This is my daughter’s first visit to Barcelona so I’d like to do a variety of types of places. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

El Xampanyet for fabulous tapas.

1 Like

Arcano

European here. I like L’Olive (beautiful interior), Ciudad Condal (wonderful for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and next door is a great sports pub with lots of youngsters), and Ca L’Estevet (traditional). If you’d like to visit a more local market near your hotel you should check out Mercat de Santa Caterina.

2 Likes

In spite of its English name, the Windsor is very much about modern Catalan cuisine.

We’ve not been to the city since pre-Covid times so things may have changed but a look at the restaurant’s website suggests it’ll be as good as it was.

https://restaurantwindsor.com

On our first and only trip, enjoyed this restaurant so much we returned a couple of days later. Busy on both visits, nice buzzy atmosphere and energy.

Prices very reasonable, wide varieties of options on the menu.

3 Likes

OMG that looks heavenly! Ima bookmark this thread for my next Barca visit. Although this summer’s plan was a visit to Istanbul…

1 Like

It’s one of my favourite restaurants in the world… been there dozens and dozens of times, sometimes even for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the same day. Super fresh seafood prepared without fuss, lots of guilty pleasures like mini hamburgers and frankfurters, and wonderful and cheap drinks from sangria to beer and wine. Asians behind the counter… I love it! :heart:

2 Likes

Breakfast, lunch and dinner all on the same day!!! Might have to try that on the next visit.

The staff was very accomodating. We don’t speak/understand Catalan and very very little Spanish, still felt very comfortable and well taken care of. On our second visit, the house poured us a comped after dinner digestif.

Very welcoming nice touch.

2 Likes

Ciudad Condal…

2 Likes

They also have a sister restaurant nearby, called Cerveceria Catalana on calle de Mallorca. At lunch (and only at lunch!) they serve arroz, every day a different type. This was with lobster. The terrace here is very nice, though small.

Tuna salad.

2 Likes

L’Olive, also in the Eixample neighbourhood.

Salad with romesco sauce and fish.

Goat.

1 Like

Ca L’Estevet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great suggestions and the photos have me salivating! So many options for sure.

2 Likes

@damiano

Please help clear up some confusion. Seems this restaurant goes by both Ciudad Condal and Ciudad Comtal? The awning outside sports both names. The menu has Comtal printed.

Yes, correct. It’s the Spanish versus Catalan way of writing the name - Ciutat Comtal vs Ciudad Condal. The Catalan people are fiercely proud of their heritage, and given the history with Franco (in Madrid) this is always contentious…

Any new travel plans?

1 Like

Thanks. Googled, but couldn’t figure it out. Always fun to learn the ideosyncracies of any new country.

Booked four Asia focused trips so far for 2023, looking to fill the schedule with a couple of trips to Europe.

You planning any trips yet?

Any thoughts on lunch at Caelis or Slow & Low? With all the wonderful suggestions for tapas places, thinking we’ll just do one prix fixe lunch.

We’ve only been one short 6 day trip in Barcelona, barely scratched the surface. A few other posters on this site can give you much more insight and advice.

I would suggest Quimet & Quimet tapas. Yes, this place has been blown up. We were lucky a space opened up at the bar as we were casing the joint. Fun time, good bites and good drinks.

I went there and, while it was good, I much preferred El Xampanyet… so much so that I went back twice :heart_eyes:

1 Like