Help me make chile relleno's .

So, everyone but you is Sweetish?

That is one pretty pepper in that photo you shared.

This is a chile relleno burrito?

3 Likes

Sure looks like it.

Baron Poblano chiles.

Hoping make a chile relleno casserole within the next day or so.

Another take on it, but I’d probably do it minus the carrots and potatoes.

6 Likes

I know some who use only egg whites. I think it is important to dredge them in or dust them with flour once filled and before coating them with egg. Whipping the egg-whites first does make for a fluffier coating. They can be baked at high heat, but the finish and texture is different.

1 Like

Migas, which starts with roasting a poblano.

2 Likes

Another casserole. Short cuts, potentially meatless, and make ahead.

1 Like

This looks intriguing.
And cornmeal for the crust.
Not sure about pancetta and crab together but they must know what they’re doing.

Even better - from the Luxor

2 Likes

We enjoyed these just a couple of nights ago. Really easy-peasy.

Blacken pasilla peppers over open flame, like gas burner or on grid over electric. Let cool, then abrade off skins. Make a slit and remove seeds and membrane. Insert a large piece of melting cheese. We use Oaxacan, but mozz or Jack are good. Dredge in flour.

In the meantime, separate an egg and whip the white to stiff peaks. Add a spoon of flour to the yolk and whisk until well combined.

Heat a quarter inch of vegetable oil go simmer. Combine the yolk mixture with the whites and coat the peppers. Lay in the hot oil and cook until golden. Done.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 5.48.42 PM

10 Likes

That sounds really good, but meanwhile the sauce :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes , what is the sauce. Looks fabulous.

1 Like

The tomato sauce under what looks like crema? That does look good!

Meanwhile, working on the casserole in the video, using poblanos from the garden, but sans potatoes and carrots. I would just hoover individual cheese rellenos.

Before;

After

7 Likes

Sauce for chile rellenos: I sauteed chopped onion and garlic, added several peeled and chopped Roma tomatoes and cooked to a sauce, added chili powder, cumin and pinch oregano, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Simmered for several minutes, then pureed with an immersion blender. Takes about 15 minutes.

This is a simplified version but quite correct IMHO, Mr. Google offers a handful that are more complicated should you want to be more authentic.

7 Likes

Oh, those are bee-you-tea-full!

1 Like

well I didn’t cook it but I ate it

6 Likes

Lucky.

1 Like
3 Likes

My goodness, those are STUFFED!

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder - lunch is a few hours off and now I have a plan! For me, relleno, refried beans and avocado is an ideal burrito!

2 Likes

always felt it was a prettier dish than a tastier one…I’ll take a cheese filled relleno any day over this…

3 Likes