Help me make chile relleno's .

Another casserole. Short cuts, potentially meatless, and make ahead.

1 Like

This looks intriguing.
And cornmeal for the crust.
Not sure about pancetta and crab together but they must know what they’re doing.

Even better - from the Luxor

2 Likes

We enjoyed these just a couple of nights ago. Really easy-peasy.

Blacken pasilla peppers over open flame, like gas burner or on grid over electric. Let cool, then abrade off skins. Make a slit and remove seeds and membrane. Insert a large piece of melting cheese. We use Oaxacan, but mozz or Jack are good. Dredge in flour.

In the meantime, separate an egg and whip the white to stiff peaks. Add a spoon of flour to the yolk and whisk until well combined.

Heat a quarter inch of vegetable oil go simmer. Combine the yolk mixture with the whites and coat the peppers. Lay in the hot oil and cook until golden. Done.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 5.48.42 PM

10 Likes

That sounds really good, but meanwhile the sauce :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes , what is the sauce. Looks fabulous.

1 Like

The tomato sauce under what looks like crema? That does look good!

Meanwhile, working on the casserole in the video, using poblanos from the garden, but sans potatoes and carrots. I would just hoover individual cheese rellenos.

Before;

After

7 Likes

Sauce for chile rellenos: I sauteed chopped onion and garlic, added several peeled and chopped Roma tomatoes and cooked to a sauce, added chili powder, cumin and pinch oregano, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Simmered for several minutes, then pureed with an immersion blender. Takes about 15 minutes.

This is a simplified version but quite correct IMHO, Mr. Google offers a handful that are more complicated should you want to be more authentic.

7 Likes

Oh, those are bee-you-tea-full!

1 Like

well I didn’t cook it but I ate it

6 Likes

Lucky.

1 Like
3 Likes

My goodness, those are STUFFED!

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder - lunch is a few hours off and now I have a plan! For me, relleno, refried beans and avocado is an ideal burrito!

2 Likes

always felt it was a prettier dish than a tastier one…I’ll take a cheese filled relleno any day over this…

3 Likes

I’d love your thoughts on why I had such an impossible time peeling the last poblanos I worked with. 6 of them. Roasted in a 400 oven for not sure - maybe 45-60 minutes. Put them hot into a paper bag, folded the top, so they’d steam. Then paper into a plastic bag so it wouldn’t leak. Once they cooled down, I put them in the fridge and tackled the peeling next day. So hard. Only small sections of the skin had bubbled and separated. The rest was pretty stuck-on. And when I tried to pull it off, good amounts of the pepper came off too. It almost makes me not want to do this again, although the flavor was wonderful.

For me it’s like peeling boiled eggs. I have a hard time with a significant portion of my eggs. And I don’t have a clue why those are hard and others are easy[1].

With peppers (whether poblanos or others), I sear and then bag steam just like you said, and the majority of the time they peel easily. But a substantial minority of the time I have the problems you mention - only bits want to come off, flesh rips off with skin (to wax graphic for a moment), etc.

And I don’t have a clue why these are hard and others are easy. I mean, I’m doing it the same way each time but getting very different results sometimes. Like with peeling eggs. :angry:

[1] I have seen the thread on all the magic ways to peel boiled eggs.

I have a magic egg solution, but that’s a different thread :slight_smile: It’s turned a 40% good peel situation to a 90%. In short, I believe it was a Kenji solution. Put them on a rack (from fridge) over boiling water and steam them for 11-12 min. Then dunk in ice water for awhile. They peel very nicely after that.

1 Like

Believe me, I’ve tried that one and many more. My ratio is usually about 60-70% no matter what the method. (OTOH, bright side is that means I prep for the failures in advance and get egg salad sandwiches from the culls while I’m making the deviled eggs or whatever :grinning:).

Back to the poblanos - I’ve been thinking a bit since my earlier comment and I think I do get somewhat less failure from flame blackening vs. doing it in the oven. But it’s probably not a huge difference. Also wondering if age has an effect.

Age - could be. Fresh eggs supposed to be harder to peel. Maybe fresh poblanos as well. Although that would be measured on a whole different scale because peppers will show signs of age much sooner than eggs. I wish I had a flame. I have an electric stove/oven. No torch either, and probably would not buy one for this purpose.

If you have a broiler element, you might try that. It should be much faster and more like flame in terms of scorching and bubbling the waxy skin. But you’ll need to check very often and rotate a lot.

3 Likes