Help! I've ruined my metal Kitchen Aid food grinder!

I’ve been putting it in the dishwasher, and this time I noticed discoloration and black stuff in some onions I put through, then I noticed it had not dishwasher safe stamped right on it.

Apparently there is also a stainless steel one. anyone know what the black stuff is and what I can do about it?

I am not 100% sober this evening due to the wonderous Bardstown Bourbon Company Origins Rye. But I digress.

There are two types of ‘black stuff’ common to a grinder body like that. When you put the piece in the dishwasher, modern detergents will take off the coating exposing what looks like an aluminum allow or cast aluminum. The black is a rough equivalent of rust. I put some steel-coated baking sheets thru the dishwasher and have that. Acid solutions will help take the film off but also set off a new round of deterioration of the metal. I have commercial units and they are made of stainless. They are wonderful, especial;ly as you can freeze them if making delicate sausages.

The other type of black is just shaft gunk. At least I think that is the technical for it. It is the copacetic combination of old and new foods that stick in the crevices of the moving parts. It can form in a short time if you are grinding. One should not be ashamed at its appearance.

4 Likes

Thank you! I had used the plastic version of the grinder for a long time, but it cracked, and I didn’t want to think about what I might be harboring in the crack. Arghhh.

1 Like

Actually a food hazard. The plastic models are worthless if not outright dangerous. My grinder is a 1 hp #12 hub that produces 20 pounds or so an hour.

I used to have a restaurant. Now I rarely eat meat but I can’t let it go. Not to mentionj the cheese grater attachment that can take down 1/8 of a wheel of parm in a couple of minutes.

2 Likes

Harmless, most likely iron alloy with chromium

3 Likes

I don’t think you ruinrd it. Wash it again by hand (will take some scrubbing), and then immediately towel dry. We have a couple of things like this (mixer blade, meat grinder, etc,). They shouldn’t be left to air-dry.

2 Likes

Anyone that uses a plastic food grinder or processor deserves whatever fate befalls them.

Must have aluminum in it. It’s the dishwashing soap that is used now. I don’t know of any way to clean it off. Replaced aluminum items I put in dishwasher.

1 Like

Uh oh! :dizzy_face: :tired_face:

(post deleted by author)

These are made of aluminum, which does not play well with modern dishwasher detergents. Try using an acid like vinegar or lemon juice to clean off the dark material.

2 Likes

The black stuff is an oxide.

You can remove it using a weak acid (and perhaps some light abrasion). Spray on a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar, let it work for a few minutes, and then work the surface with fine steel wool. Wash thoroughly afterwards.

You can also immerse or boil in the same solution.

3 Likes

I have resurrected several Calphalon pots that were ruined in dishwashers. Anodized finish trashed. I used BarKeep’s Friend which is both acidic and lightly abrasive. Hard to reach all of the affected surfaces on your piece, though.

2 Likes

For me I would just concentrate on the parts that come in contact with the food. Consider a scrub pad with Barkeeper’s Friend for the top, and some bottle brushes for the feed and output tubes (and maybe you can find some that can be chucked up in a drill motor).

3 Likes

Thanks all! I’m wondering if the onions were acidic enough to clean the grinding parts. Before I got some of your advice, I hand washed and wiped off the piece, then ground some pork, and it came out perfectly pink.

Again thank you, and I will ponder next steps.

1 Like

“I wonder…” “Maybe if…” “You probably could…” “This might not be a disaster…” “The food coming out looks ok…maybe…”

This is food you are eating, remember?

If this is the grinder that mounts to the power takeoff on a Kitchenaid, they’re $75 lousy bucks. PM your address and I’ll buy you a new one.

2 Likes

If you’re wanting to grind acidic food, you might try rhubarb for the oxalic acid, the active ingredient in Barkeepers Friend.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be concerned about food safety or color/flavor impacts even if you did nothing. As with other aluminum that misadventures in the DW, it’s an aesthetic thing.

3 Likes

And toss this one in the landfill? I hate throwing stuff away, much to husband’s chagrin. If I replace it I hope to get a stainless steel one, but haven’t found one yet. Thanks for the offer though, assuming it was sincere.

1 Like

GVODE makes one you should be able to find on Amazon and eBay. I only have one of their KA attachments (citrus juicer), and it has been very good.

1 Like

@shrinkrap For a few grins and giggles I looked and some reviews and recommend you skip this product as I do not think it is all that well designed. I saw everything from it discoloring… to it actually leaking blood backwards through the drive sprocket into the mixer head.

I have the KA plastic one and it has been just fine. If you want another metal one for longevity, you’ll need to hand wash.

1 Like