Help! I've ruined my metal Kitchen Aid food grinder!

Yeah, the first time I shopped for one, there were a lot of words of caution. When I bought the second one in metal, I pretty cautious, but somehow wasn’t as cautious caring for it.

From what I am reading, it is a stainless steel coating that the dishwasher ruins, is that right? Is there reason to believe it’s anodized? I have many really old Calphalon pieces that I abuse with abandon!

I don’t know what causes the discolor. Anodizing should prevent to some extent the alkali on aluminum, but I no longer have any anodized aluminum so all aluminum that’s been in my dishwasher comes out grey.

1 Like

Yep. Toss it in a landfill. You make your food with it.

Find what you need and let me know and a new one will be on its way.

1 Like

Thanks again. Do you have a specific health concern in mind?

Not really, but I’m doubtful that whatever slag is coming off the thing is something that I’d want to ingest.

Common sense is your best friend.

The amateur metallurgists on the forum are just guessing about the actual composition of the film that has formed on your grinder. There is no guarantee that the supposedly non-harmful compounds are the ONLY ones present. Maybe the are. Maybe they aren’t.

Trust your instinct in all things. If it looks unappetizing, unappealing, dangerous, etc. then replace it. You’re the one who has to live with it.

1 Like

the dark stuff is an aluminum oxide. DW put my KA whisk attachment in the dishwasher and the top aluminum hub did similar.

it is not dangerous. aluminum is the most common element in the earth’s crust. if ingested aluminum and it’s oxides were hazardous to human health, none of us would be here.

(side note: aluminum SCUBA tanks turned out to be a really bad thing - due to inhaling highly reactive aluminum compounds . . . )

clean it up, wipe it down to eliminate the dark rub off - and grind on.

side note: dish washing detergents do not affect stainless steel.
a lot of not such good info floating in this thread . . .

2 Likes

Thank you!

I don’t know that I will always trust my instincts based on appearance ( thinking of some folks I dated in my youth…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:). Also, the pork I ground after the onion looked perfect; not at all unappetizing.

I do consider myself somewhat of a scientist, having practiced medicine (I said somewhat) for more than 35 years, and to a certain extent, trust science.

When someone tells me not to do something because of a risk, I want to know what the risk is. Sometimes I am willing to accept some risk. Like a medium rare hamburger! OTOH, I will not use broad spectrum pesticides in my garden. I fully understand the risks and benefits of that.

I do worry about the risk of casually buying and discarding things, and always strive to make better choices, and not because of my finances.

Again, I appreciate the offer, and am trying to figure out which 501c 3 I am involved with might benefit from your largesse!

1 Like

Since you’re a doctor, there’s this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782734/

IMO, it’s better to trust those with some knowledge of chemistry and health science than alarmists with little to none. Still, a free SS replacement would save some polishing and maybe prevent the mistake from happening again…

3 Likes

Here’s another stainless steel model;

515FFWQ4seL.AC_SX679

Description says "

“* [High Standard] Stainless Steel Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixer is DISHWASHER-SAFE. Polished mirror surface,Hand crafted, easy to clean! Larger Stainless Steel Food Tray processes more ingredients in 1 batch * compared with others. Inside surface and the grinding worm/auger is without polishing, as matt finishing good for grinding performance.” :grin:

Same model as mentioned above…

Oops! I meant this one

81kYy20NtNL.AC_SX679
Maybe they are all made in the same place. But I liked this part…

" About this item

"* :gift:[Perfect Stainless Steel Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid] Our stainless steel meat grinder attachment fits all KitchenAid stand mixers, and will provide you with a perfect food processing experience. It is a great kitchen cooking assistant for cooking lovers and housewives. The Best Gift for KitchenAid mixers’ fans. (Not created by KitchenAid Brand)

• :+1:[All Stainless Steel Designed] Made of premium stainless steel, far superior to plastic/aluminum alloy models. Its sturdiness ensures that it will provide you with long-term use. Under the premise of using safely, producing healthy food materials efficiently."

Anyway, I guess the one I have is an aluminum alloy. I haven’t read the reviews yet but I suppose they are similar.

1 Like

Love the tray size. Perdy unit there.

1 Like

Really? Housewives? How old is that ad copy? I wonder if the “little ladies” would think it’d impress the “man of the house”.

2 Likes

The “gentleman of the house” would only enter the kitchen to tell his housewife he’s home from work and a peck on the cheek. No sir, straight to the den, mix a martini, light a cigar and all is well.

Just handwash the dang thang. I have an old school meat grinder. Wash it by hand. Takes seconds.

3 Likes

The little lady didn’t greet you at the door with the martini at the ready?

It’s clear who wears the pants in THAT house, eh, fellas?

Now, take my wife… please.

3 Likes

Har har.

1 Like

Looks good to me.

1 Like

I agree. This is a suck it up and buy a new one situation. You and your body are worth it.

1 Like

Saw your link to this post in the other “equipment” thread. It sounds like you washed it and purged it (with onions?) to remove the oxidized aluminum, and are continuing to use it? Are you still combating the aluminum oxidation?

I’ve had to deal with KA’s bare, polished aluminum attachments’ dishwasher-accelerated oxidation before. My solution was somewhat unorthodox, but it allowed dishwasher cleaning without the resulting oxidation layer.

I have used it, with none of the aforementioned (hope I’m using that right)) problems since.

In case anyone is wondering, I am admittedly “unwell” ( a topic I reserve for other fora) , but my doctors assure me that pre-dates last summer.

3 Likes