Help ... Chocolate Cake Recipe

I’d like to bake perfect chocolate cupcakes for a friend who is wild about chocolate.

This recipe with Lemon Frosting looks great: (I’d make regular size)

https://www.bakingobsession.com/2009/04/05/devils-mini-cupcakes-with-lemon-cream-cheese-frosting/

I also looked at David Lebovitz’ version of Flo Braker’s Devil’s Food Cake:

I decided to get the Braker cookbook: Baking for All Occasions, as an ebook loan from my library to compare with David’s, thought I’d rather use Cake Flour as she required.

Does anyone know if there’s a mistake in the cookbook? I don’t see any cocoa listed. The 1st ingredient listed is 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped, which you melt in a bowl on top of boiling water, not touching. She never states when to add it. David uses unsweetened chocolate in his icing.

Maybe I should stop worrying and just make the first recipe above.

This in my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I’ve never tried to make cup cakes with it, but I imagine it would work.

I’ve used this cake recipe on many occasions and taken it to many parties, etc.

Chocolate Cake Recipe

3 Likes

Flo Braker’s all-American chocolate cake is basically my favorite chocolate layer cake and there is no cocoa in it. It’s different from the devil’s food recipe.
There is an error in Baking for All Occasions regarding the chocolate, so I always link to this blog whenever I rave about it:

https://scratch.typepad.com/scratch/2009/03/dark-chocolate-cake---flo-braker.html

I’ve never made cupcakes with it, so I can’t say anything about timing.

For a more typical chocolate cake (the standard runny batter, oil-based kind most American chocolate cakes are like) this one is great and has cupcake directions.

So is Stella Parks’ devil’s food cake.

Alice Medrich also has really good chocolate cupcakes, both made with unsweetened chocolate or with cocoa powder.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. What a shame there was an error in the book; I read over the recipe 5 times trying to figure it out.

What do you think of the cupcake recipe I posted?

1 Like

The blogger in that link does say, “or 22-24 cupcakes; start checking them at 20 minutes,” if that’s helpful.

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s a good recipe, though a lot of people find buttermilk chocolate cakes can sometimes be mild in chocolate flavor. If I make one with buttermilk there’s usually coffee in there. I’d double the salt, too.

2 Likes

Agree on the buttermilk comment. Also, as a chocolate lover, I’d want chocolate ganache on there, not lemon frosting :grimacing:

This thread might be of interest:

And here is Alice Medrich, using both cocoa and chocolate:

3 Likes

I’m not a chocolate lover, but I don’t like lemon and chocolate together at all.

2 Likes

I can’t even imagine them in the same bite :joy:

(Chocolate and orange is popular, I know, but I’m not a big fan. Maybe if the chocolate is dark enough. Maybe.)

1 Like

I love the Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, made with coffee instead of water. I prefer it to their Black Magic Cake, although that one is also good.

1 Like

I thought that was a joke when I saw it. I love chocolate, and I love lemon, but they absolutely do not belong together.

2 Likes

Chocolate and orange is the only one I like. Well, I like white chocolate with citrus, too. But for example there was the time I tried out Suzanne Goin’s lemon tart that has a layer of chocolate on the bottom and it was just a perfect way to ruin a lemon tart. Flo Braker’s lime bars with milk chocolate glaze were less objectionable, but just didn’t really make sense together. They were edible, but neither component improved the other.

The famous Doberge cakes with half lemon and half chocolate are something I doubt I’ll ever try. :joy:

1 Like

There was a Canadian chocolatier (who unfortunately had financial troubles) called Bernard Callebaut, who used to make dark chocolate with a marzipan filling that had a bit of orange, and I used to really enjoy them.

A local chocolatier (Stubbe Chocolates) does the same thing, but without the orange, and those are my favorites. I asked him about including orange; he said that he used to, but they didn’t sell.

I really enjoy marzipan with chocolate; if I could only splurge on a chocolate tempering machine I could make them myself.

2 Likes

(Dark) Chocolate and passion fruit is chef’s kiss. Excellent as curd and/or buttercream with a chocolate cake IMHO.