Hanging out in Sacramento!

Just adding to this thread, Pizza Supreme Being

Some of the best east coast style slices to be found this side of the Mississippi. Don’t sleep on the square pepperoni slices either!!

They now have an actual sit-down space, some additional salads and subs on the menu as well as Strauss Creamery soft serve.

A great little spot.

Order ahead for whole pies to take away.

5 Likes

Sharing this one with husband. He loves east coast pizza. I’m pretty sure he’ll be on that quick fast!

2 Likes

Moonbelly Bakery. If you’re in the neighborhood on Fri-Sunday morning, get you some seriously delicious croissants. Pictured above, traditional, chocolate, and two flourless almond cakes that are a rich, moist, crunchy-topped delight.

Previously:

5 Likes

The viennoserie at Moonbelly are better than the other contenders, I agree. The chocolate-chip shortbread cookies are even better. The only place with SF style lines out the door — partially because they are open just three days a week. (The breads are OK, but skip the baguette)

4 Likes

Their standard table loaf sourdough is quite good but I’ve been making my own for a while, and theirs are pretty pricey.

It’s a real real struggle as they are only a slightly long walk from my home, but neither my waistline nor wallet can afford more than the occasional treat. I always want to order one if everything. I don’t, but I want to.

3 Likes

I ditched my yogurt and granola, and had breakfast at “The Morning Fork”

Coffee left something to be desired, but lots of choices and my eggs Benedict was fine.

Husband liked the hot chocolate here better, but liked that Orphan had “lots of real maple syrup”, and felt the bacon and pancakes at Irohan had better flavor.

I was thinking after eating this kind of breakfast for awhile, folks might start to think I’m “unwell”!

Dinner at Canon tommorow.

6 Likes

Is the country’s oldest Chinese restaurant in Woodland, CA (a few miles from Sacramento)?

2 Likes

Man, The Guardian is everywhere! Yolo and Solano county share a Master Gardener office there!

Nearby Esparto has great stonefruit.

Of no! I missed this!

1 Like

That is really interesting, but “tiny suburb” makes it seem like a small town. Woodland has grown to over 61,000 residents!

@shrinkrap – if you liked Orphan, try Bacon and Butter. It is a little further away, but pretty tasty. That is another place that develops lines in the morning, so try during a workweek.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s basically part of the UC Davis ecosystem.

1 Like

Try Bacon and Butter

I live walking distance from this place. I’ve NEVER tried it. The menu seems fine but unremarkable and people queue up for HOURS on weekends, waiting for ridiculous lengths of time in Sac summer heat (or gross, wet winters) for…. eggs and pancakes? Really?

The lines gets longer the nicer the weather.

At this point my partner and I just dismiss it out of hand. It’s never looked worth the trouble.

For brunch, if we’re in that sort of mood, Fox and Goose does a nice one. They have scones and clotted cream, fantastic hasbrowns, and Irish coffee.

2 Likes

Feng shui. :wink:

1 Like

A Fox & Goose bonus, if you’re there on a weekday, is trundling next door to the fortune cookie factory and getting a cheap bag of misfortune cookies!

3 Likes

Ooo. Might have to hit that up.

My friends and I used to try to come up with ‘misfortunes’ to put into cookies. Things like:

If at first you don’t succeed, maybe skydiving isn’t for you.

Dogs will lead police to your shallow grave.

Remember, it’s always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

2 Likes

Before you get the wrong idea, I call them “misfortune cookies” because they’re the ones that are malformed or broken, not with ‘alternative’ fortunes. Most people call them fortune cookie flops, I think, and they’re cheaper than the regular cookies. The factory will do custom fortunes, too. If you’re ordering in quantity, say, 100 or more, they’re not too expensive, IIRC.

1 Like

Oh, I know what you meant. It just reminded me of the jokes we used to make. We were a dark and cynical bunch.

1 Like

If you go, budget a few minutes of your day to watch the operation. It’s kind of misleading to call it a ‘factory’, because the entire operation is in a room that might be the size of a 3-car garage at best, with 3-4 cookers that defy description. They look like they may have been designed by Rube Goldberg, if Rube Goldberg did steampunk. The cookers are fairly autonomous, too, so that one person can pretty much run the whole thing. In fact, in the hundreds of times I’ve been there, I’ve never seen more than one person in the factory at any given time. Watch out, though, because IMO they’re the best fortune cookies in the world. They can be quite addicting.

2 Likes

I was nearly going to recommend Jim Denny’s (12th Street between H and I), but the last few times I went there suggests a lot of inconsistency in the product. I want them to do well - small, BIPOC- and locally-owned business in a difficult market - but it seems like it depends on whether the owner is there or not. If she’s there, the food is good, if not great. If she’s off-site, attention to detail seems to slide. Still, if you’re hankering for a burger, it may be worth a try. The Southern Daddy burger (double cheese burger with a hot link) practically guarantees an afternoon nap, the fries may be food service but are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, and Mrs. ricepad orders roasted Brussels sprouts every time.

2 Likes

I’ve passed that place! Sounds interesting!