Hand Hammered Woks (then and now). Now, they are highly priced

Yet this has been the lot of generations of metalworkers (blacksmiths, coppersmiths, etc…) …

1 Like

Do you want carbon steel or cast iron?

I bought this one a few years ago, it’s good.

1 Like

Thanks.

For the moment, I’m open on the material, I’ve a bit more preference for iron.

I think when buying a wok, sizes and large handle or 2 small handles are also things to consider. What size do you have?

@Chemicalkinetics

Does your wok have a bluish tint or the normal colour?

Hi Naf,

As you live in Paris, your best bet to get a good wok at a decent low price (under 35€) would probably be to hit the Asian restaurant cookware shops in the 13th arrondissement or around Belleville. Some might even offer luxury hand hammered woks. In any case, they should be able to steer you towards something that would be usable at home.
These shops might be a little bit tricky to locate as they have absolutely zero Internet presence. I might have a list for the 13th arrondissement though. Let me know if you’re interested.

1 Like

I like that the weight is only about 2.25 lbs (1020g). Mine (cheap, no-name) is nearly 4.5 lbs and is difficult for me to tip into/out of the flames.

Yeah. The one I cited is their 1.2 mm thickness wok. They have a thicker version. I believe a 1.6 mm or 1.8 mm). That will be heavier.

1 Like

I’m thinking I’d trade some heat density for lighter weight. Between carpal tunnel and tennis elbow, my old heavier one is giving me a pain in the tendons (and nerves) if I try to get the flames in. I’m fine if I just let it sit there and stir stuff in it, of course. But I think it tastes better if you get the oils to flambé in the pan while you’re cooking.

Yeah. I don’t mean to suggest you to use a heavier wok. I just meant that company makes two version for thickness. I look up some information. Maybe going for a smaller size is a good idea too.
For the 1.2 mm thickness woks, here are the information
A 24 cm wok (9.5 inch) is only 680 grams

• Product type: Hammered Iron Woks
  • Country of origin: Kanagawa, Japan
  • 24 cm (1-2 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 240 mm, Height: 70 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 680 g, Shipping weight (approx): 1200 g
  • 27 cm (2-3 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 270 mm, Height: 80 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 830 g, Shipping weight (approx): 1400 g
  • 30 cm (3-4 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 300 mm, Height: 90 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 980 g, Shipping weight (approx): 1700 g
  • 33 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 330 mm, Height: 100 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 1150 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2200 g
  • 36 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 360 mm, Height: 110 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 1350 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2400 g
  • 39 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 390 mm, Height: 120 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 1430 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2700 g
  • 42 cm (Coated only): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 420 mm, Height: 130 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 1880 g, Shipping weight (approx): 3100 g
  • 45 cm (Coated only): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 450 mm, Height: 140 mm (Thickness 1.2 mm), Item weight (approx): 2050 g, Shipping weight (approx): 3300 g

Yamada Hammered Iron Round Bottom Wok (1.2mm Thickness) - Globalkitchen Japan

Even for the thicker 1.6 mm wok, a 24 cm wok is 840 grams.

• Product type: Hammered Iron Woks
  • Country of origin: Kanagawa, Japan
  • 24 cm (1-2 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 240 mm, Height: 70 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 840 g, Shipping weight (approx): 1300 g
  • 27 cm (2-3 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 270 mm, Height: 80 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 1100 g, Shipping weight (approx): 1600 g
  • 30 cm (3-4 Servings): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 300 mm, Height: 90 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 1300 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2000 g
  • 33 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 330 mm, Height: 100 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 1500 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2500 g
  • 36 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 360 mm, Height: 110 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 1800 g, Shipping weight (approx): 2800 g
  • 39 cm: Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 390 mm, Height: 120 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 2000 g, Shipping weight (approx): 3200 g
  • 42 cm (Coated only): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 420 mm, Height: 130 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 2400 g, Shipping weight (approx): 3600 g
  • 45 cm (Coated only): Dimensions (approx): Top diameter: 450 mm, Height: 140 mm (Thickness 1.6 mm), Item weight (approx): 2700 g, Shipping weight (approx): 3900 g
2 Likes

Thanks very much, this is helpful to know. Mine is about 36 cm so at about 2040g, its weight seems quite a bit heavier than the same 36 mentioned at either 1.4 or 1.6 mm. Like I said, though, it’s a very cheap store brand.

I remember that post on Chowhound. I have a normally made wok, and am satisfied with it.

I bought a normal carbon steel wok in one of the stores in the 13th, and I 'm very happy with it. I wanted a cover for it, so I could make popcorn. That was a less happy story.

1 Like

Wow, yeah I’m interested. Didn’t know there is a hidden world out there in the 13th district. I guess they are only known to the restaurants or people living in the district. Thanks a lot.

What happened? did you get a wooden cover or a glass cover?

Thanks, that size/weight list is just great!

1 Like

Shortly after we bought the wok, I realized I wanted a cover. So I waited a year until we visited Paris again and went to the stores in the 13th. I didn’t find a wok cover in any of them So I ordered one from the San Francisco store, Tane Chan’s Wokshop. The cover cost $10, or so, and the postage was $40! I gulped once or twice , and I ordered it. Well, they sent the first one to Swaziland. When I complained, they sent me another one to Switzerland. But for the $12.95 wok cover, they put the value on the package at $100. This meant I had to pay $40 in Swiss customs fees. I consulted the customs office, and they said they could review it, but it would cost $40.

A week or two later the package sent to Swaziland was delivered. I refused delivery so it went back to California. I assume that Wokshop had to pay.

3 Likes

Incredible, the cover is more expensive than the wok itself. :rofl:

Do you need to pay custom when you buy stuff from other European countries?

Here’s the list. Disseminate it at your own peril! :scream:

China Europe, 11 rue des Frères d’Astier de la Vigerie
Wa Quan, 15 rue des Frères d’Astier de la Vigerie
Kawa, 89-97 avenue de Choisy
Asia Center, 20 rue George Eastman
New Equip Resto, 120 bd Vincent Auriol
Sinsidai France, 142 bd Vincent Auriol (Korean)

Don’t forget to do like the pros and ask for a discount, you might get a little something off :innocent:
PS: This might also work at Mora or Simon and even at Dehillerin.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, and for the tips!

Well, usually the pro don’t pay the TVA. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They also often get a lower HT price…
Of course, it’s more interesting to get 10% off on a €300 purchase than on €30 :crazy_face:

1 Like