H-Mart Opening in Yonkers, Westchester County, NY

looks like a 1000% improvement from the previous dump of a tenant

Finally got there and it was impressive. The food court area was loaded on a Sunday afternoon (was wondering why there was no Vietnamese representation), and there was a wait for ordering. Samplings all over the place. Good prices on many items. A pre-cooked 4 lb. Lobster for $26 could have made for a nice weekend meal. Nicely displayed, too. Friendly staff. Did some spot shopping and left.
Caveat: Could do without the persistent loud announcements over the sound systemā€¦

They have some Vietnamese. Pho it looks like. A10 & A11 Called Beef Vietnamese Noodle soup and Seafood Vietnamese Noodle soup.

2 Likes

Thanks, Sprussels. Will check it out next time I visitā€¦

Iā€™m kind of bummed about the Yonkers store. In general I donā€™t like the stores layout, and the lighting is that modern type like Whole Foods uses, which is too dark, and a weird wavelength that I find uncomfortable, and hard to focus. I originally thought the location was larger than Hartsdale, but this store is much more cramped, and about a 30% less selection.

I hate the food court. I feel that it is very poorly designed. Seating is horribly set up, tables are not cleaned often enough, no cups at the water dispenser, and not that many seats, which are crammed together. Cashiers who donā€™t speak English, including if you order by number, have trouble getting it right. They have pictures of the menu items laminated on pages scattered in front of them because it is such an issue. And food cashiers who canā€™t work the register. Then there are several different areas, with lines going different ways, and several places to pay depending what you order. Also they overcharged me twice. The first time I didnā€™t notice until later. The second time I caught it, basically overcharged for one item, price $9.99, came out to $16.56. Then the cashier walked away with my credit card and disappeared for five minutes. Then customer service didnā€™t really care when I tried to chat with them about the wrong prices in the system, or that the food cashiers are charging incorrectly.

I really like a lot about the chain in general. The regular cashiers are excellent. But this new, ā€œmodernā€ version is chaotic, and poorly designed.

So does that mean you will still ā€˜schlepā€™ down to the Hartsdale store? Give them a chance, they just opened with all the complications that go along with itā€¦
Fortunately, we did not experience any, except for that loudspeaker.

I agree about the lighting and selection - I was really disappointed in the selection as compared to Hartsdale, although I understand that they canā€™t offer everything given that the store itself is smaller. I didnā€™t mind the layout in general, but I was really only shopping for produce and a few jarred items.

I didnā€™t go into the food court but it did look like traffic flow could be an issue. Thanks for the heads up regarding pricing issues and customer service.

Since I live just a few minutes away Iā€™ll give them a chance to settle in. I think the food seems to be better so far in the Yonkers food court. I just have to get friendly with the managers to give them some feedback. Iā€™ve talked to management at the Hartsdale store frequently, both critiques and compliments, and they are very good.

I donā€™t know what they can do about the food court, it is just a poor design.

Although I swore I wouldnā€™t, Iā€™ve been back twice since opening week.
The store was extremely quiet during both of my return visits. The seafood counter
was a little busy though ā€¦ both times what stood out to me was the number
of Caucasian senior citizens stumbling around looking completely perplexed.
I picked up some produce most of which was fine, I had to return organic
strawberries that I found were bad when I got them home. Something about
this store I donā€™t like I canā€™t put my finger on it ā€¦ everything in Hartsdale just seems
fresher and the store seems cleaner.

Did you happen to check if they carried turkey eggs?:slight_smile:

No ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t think to look for them at HMART

1 Like

I picked up several lbs of tart cherries today. Same as the sweet cherries they were priced at a very reasonable 2.99 a lb. I prefer them to the sweet they also are good for what ails me.

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen turkey eggs, but they usually have quail eggs. (Sorry, the opposite end of the spectrum.)

I stopped shopping at the Yonkers store. Even though it is less than 1/2 mile away. Several things really annoy me about it as I wrote above. At least the Hartsdale store doesnā€™t get as crowded now.

1 Like

I was at the Hartsdale HMartā€™s food court yesterday to get lunch. Just about every seat was filled and there were at least 20 people standing and waiting for food. Maybe the Yonkers food court still leaves something to be desired.

I did find the quality of the items I had at the Yonkers storeā€™s food court better than Hartsdale. But it is a much nastier and uninviting place to eat.

1 Like

I went last Friday for the first time and although I was happy with my experience, there were a few details missing. The food court ordering system is a bit more confusing than at the Hartsdale location - but I love that thereā€™s more space. At the bakery/bubble tea counter, I asked for rainbow jelly (agar) in my bubble tea in place of the boba. This is how I usually order it in Hartsdale, and the young ladies said they didnā€™t have it (nor even heard of it!). I guess I should have probably asked if a manager could order it, but I was in a hurry.

I always get lychee jelly in my (usually mango black) tea. Itā€™s bizarre that the Yonkers location doesnā€™t have them.

1 Like

IMO the Yonkers bakery suckarooos toošŸ˜ In comparison to Hartsdale

Thatā€™s a shame.

1 Like