H-Mart Opening in Yonkers, Westchester County, NY

That’s nice.

??? That’s Nice?

Bummer!

I read this today … the store will open in spite of delays

Great news! I visited the Hmart in Hartsdale recently but it would be nice to have the same options closer to home. The place was a zoo so I’m sure there is plenty of business to support two locations!

Go early!

That article suggest a 4th quarter opening. But management at the Hartsdale location still says that early 2017 is more realistic.

I stopped by the new location today and they are back to work on the renovation. The store had been mostly gutted back in the spring/summer 2016, then work stopped due to permit problems. Now they are doing a full gut. HVAC, sewer, plumbing, electric, etc. It’s a complete bare shell inside, no ceiling, almost finished sheetrocking the walls. Concrete floor broken and being dug up to replace water & sewer lines. When they are done this will be a completely new store from the walls in. They really needed to do this. The old Pathmark was disgustingly filthy. Interesting that the store looks smaller empty than when it was the overcrowded old Pathmark.

Well, latest estimate is late February 2017, or more like March.

I’m really looking forward to this. The one in Hartsdale is just a little too far for me to want to get over there weekly.

1 Like

We finally made it to Rancho Grande on Friday night - it wasn’t as bad as I was fearing, given the poor reviews, but also not really good. The mariachi band was just finishing up as we arrived - they were actually quite good if you like that sort of thing - but unfortunately they were replaced by truly terrible “karaoke” in the bar area. I put karaoke in quotes because I’m fairly certain the singers were not drawn from the crowd but rather hired to be there - they were putting on quite a show. Luckily we had asked to be seated away from the bar so the noise wasn’t too bad (and as professional opera singers, critiquing bad singing is something of a sport, so this spectacle was actually semi-entertaining for us).

As for the food, we were happy to get a nice warm basket of excellent, sturdy chips upon arrival. Unfortunately, the accompanying salsa was watery and flavorless - like a bowl of weak onion juice. DH ordered an enchilada combo and I had a skirt steak that came with a chicken mole enchilada. The steak was actually quite good - nicely seasoned, perfectly cooked. The mole was pretty awful, though - way too sweet with an acrid, burnt undertone. DH had one of those on his plate as well, along with a cheese/tomatillo (best of the bunch) and a beef/red chile sauce - made with gringo-style ground beef and the enchilada sauce tasted canned.

We weren’t expecting greatness but at these prices ($20 for the enchilada and $26 for the steak), I was certainly expecting something much better than we got. We won’t be back.

Back to the original topic of the post, though - we drove by the new HMart location on our way in and it looks like they are making progress on the interior. Hopefully they’ll finish up sometime this spring.

1 Like

Old info: the chef who had been helping them in the kitchen at Rancho has left. Also, I continue to have fun at their happy hour from time to time usually just sticking to the appetizers…thanks for the report bd.

Wow, those prices are ridiculous.

Yeah, I didn’t check the menu before we went and I was a bit taken aback. I’m accustomed to entrees at this sort of place topping out at $18-20 for fajitas and the like, with “combos” of things like enchiladas, tacos, etc. in the $12-15 range.

1 Like

According to Lohud, HMart will be opening on April 13! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Stopped into Rancho Grande early on Saturday evening, about 5:30 and the place was already buzzing. Sat in the bar/lounge area for dinner: Guacamole prepared tableside, medium spicy as ordered, followed by Steak Fajitas which we shared. Both were fine. We could not finish the fajita so we bagged it along with some extra wraps. Washed it down with Dos Equis Amber…

The store looks nice

1 Like

I’m planning to head over this morning - will report back!

3 Likes

Go early the parking lot has been packed the last several days

Just got home from H-mart! Parking lot wasn’t too bad at 9:30, and the store itself was crowded but not overly so. Not as big a selection as the Hartsdale store, but much more organized. The food court and bakery look great. Here are a few photos:

3 Likes