Grocery Outlet 2020 [Bay Area]

A poster at grossoutwine is noting that there might be a 20% wine sale in the first week of November. Will post details if they become available.

2 Likes

S. Van Ness SF
This is a terrible development because I’m trying to eat less sweets and that ice cream flavor is right up my alley. I bought 5.
image image

Either Haagen-Dazs dropped a truly massive quantity of this flavor on them, or they haven’t been able to sell it at all. I bought it last week after they lowered the price to $1.49. It actually does have a pretty solid stout flavor!

2020-10-22 Alameda Grocery Outlet

The Grocery Outlet anticipated Fall 20%-off wine sale is not on yet and I guess that it may start next Wednesday or the following Wednesday.

Deli

$1.49 Sierra Nevada Probiotic Creme Kefir Creamy Labne, 8 oz. Sell by 10/29. From Sierra Nevada Cheese in Willows, CA. Has the consistency of a firmer sour cream but tastier and not as tart, Sierra Nevada has a lot of organic products but this isn’t labelled as such.

from Sierra Nevada:
Crème Kefir, also known as Labne, is a thick and creamy cultured dairy product rich in tradition, a staple of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine for centuries.

$1.97 Hope Organic Hummus with Sea Salt and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 8 oz., Best by 10/22 so that it might already be gone. It’s the creamiest hummus I’ve had, from Hope Foods of Boulder, CO.

$1.99 Applegate Uncured Natural Beef Hot Dog, 100% Grass-Fed pasture raised beef, humanely raised, 6 dogs, 10 oz. I think that they also had turkey or chicken dogs.

99 cents Forager Organic Probiotic Cashewmilk Unsweetened Plain Yogurt, dairy-free, vegan. 8 oz., distributed by Forager Project of San Francisco, CA Best by 11/4/2020. I haven’t tried it yet.

$1.97 Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus, 30 oz. tub, best by 10/23/2020. That’s just over $1/lb for hummus. I prefer their organic version with olive oil but this will do for now at a bargain price.

Beer and Coffee

$6.99 for 12x12oz. bottles, Rolling Rock Extra Pale Beer, 4.4% ABV.

$4.99 Nescafe Extraforte Instant Coffee, 8.11 oz. (230 grams). Best before June 2022. from Nestle Brazil, the label is in Portuguese.

1 Like

Alameda Grocery Outlet today:

lots and lots of boxes of wines laid out throughout the store, possibly in preparation for a 20%-off wine sale starting on Wednesday, November 4, or maybe not.

Find of the day:

$6.49/lb. (cut into chubs of about 9 oz. for about $3.50) CAHILL’S IRISH PORTER CHEDDAR, milk from grass-fed cows with Guinness Porter added to the cheese. Beautiful to look at and a delight to eat.

excerpt:

Marion Cahill made Irish Plain Porter Cheese from pasteurised cow’s milk and Guinness-brewer Porter since 1759. The current version however originated on the farm in 1985. Cahill cheese is matured for 10 months and infused with porter, to create a caramel smoking undertone, giving the cheese a marbled effect.

Also some edamame hummus for 97 cents for 10 oz. and more Anchor cheeses from New Zealand grass-fed cows.

3 Likes

Good information thanks for sharing
vmware

2 Likes

2020-11-2 Oakland Grocery Outlet

Boxes of wine all over the place but the sale hasn’t started yet.

$2.99/7 oz. Bulgarian White Cheese which technically now can’t be called feta according to the EU since it is not from Greece.

From the article linked above:

Less salty than other fetas, the tart and tangy sheep’s milk used in this Bulgarian Feta recipe makes up for the lower salt content, and definitely gives it a distinctive taste, with the same crumbly and creamy texture you’d expect.

$1.49/32 oz. Manitoba Harvest Unsweetened Chocolate Hemp Yeah! Hemp Milk, made in the US for Fresh Hemp Foods of Winnipeg, Canada.

$2.99/32 oz. Old World Quality Foods Ukrainian Salad all natural made in Poland, with green tomatoes, carrots and peppers. Tart but with a lot of added sugar that can mostly be drained off.

No porter cheese over at the East Hayward GO (though there were several types of Fiscalini cheddar), but lots of Sierra Nevada beer mustard (in IPA, porter, and stout varieties; $2.99). I’m kicking myself for not getting the Steve’s cinnamon coffee ice cream last week, as they didn’t have any today, but they did have Coolhaus’ Milk & Cookies ice cream and whatever their version of butter pecan is called ($1.99/pint).

1 Like

I saw Cahill’s Irish Porter cheddar at Oakland GO yesterday and Melanie at Chowhound reported seeing it at Palo Alto GO a few days ago. If you pick up the Bulgarian feta, let me know what you think and take a close look at the Anchor grass-fed pasture-raised cheese from New Zealand especially the aged, vintage cheddars.

We’ve been noshing our way through the Anchor cheddar, and I agree that it’s very good. We’ve got plenty of feta for now.

1 Like

20% off Wine Sale November 4 - November 10

https://groceryoutlet.com/circulars/storeid/3

5 Likes

Nice! If you like grassy NZ Sauvignon Blancs like I do that Cathedral Cove in the flyer is quite good

1 Like

How is the Covid-19 protocol at your local Grocery Outlet? I have not visited one since April.

Seems fine to me but not as restrictive as Trader Joe’s. GO has sanitizer/wipes for carts at entrance and somewhat limit amount of people coming in. But doesn’t have the one way aisles like TJs and TJs seems much more restrictive in the amount of people they let in at once.

Some early reports on the November GO Wine Sale from the people at grossoutwine -

My experience has been the same as brisket44’s. They don’t seem the limit the # of people coming in, but then again I usually shop during the week, often right after the store opens.

I shop much more these days at my local GO. There are far fewer people at the store at any given time.

At my local TJ, there are quite a few people in each aisle so its can get crowded. So I’ve only been there 3 times since COVID hit. I am just not as comfortable there. And I don’t like to wait to get in.

I’m shopping more at the Richmond GO than the El Cerrito Trader Joe’s or Berkeley Bowl West which is the opposite of my habits before COVID. At the later two, I’ve had to wait in lines to get in and it was crowded in the aisles.

At the Richmond GO, someone is at the door wiping down carts every time I’ve been there. I’ve never had to wait in line to get in, but I usually go before 10 AM on a weekday. I also feel like there are more organic items there now.

1 Like

That’s what I did too. I went to Trader Joe’s every week before COVID.

Me too, there was one around the corner from my office, but since Covid working from home I’ve only been twice. And if G.O. would start getting Bob’s steel cut oats back in stock I’d have no reason at all to go to TJs!