Grocery Outlet 2020 [Bay Area]

Nice! If you like grassy NZ Sauvignon Blancs like I do that Cathedral Cove in the flyer is quite good

1 Like

How is the Covid-19 protocol at your local Grocery Outlet? I have not visited one since April.

Seems fine to me but not as restrictive as Trader Joeā€™s. GO has sanitizer/wipes for carts at entrance and somewhat limit amount of people coming in. But doesnā€™t have the one way aisles like TJs and TJs seems much more restrictive in the amount of people they let in at once.

Some early reports on the November GO Wine Sale from the people at grossoutwine -

My experience has been the same as brisket44ā€™s. They donā€™t seem the limit the # of people coming in, but then again I usually shop during the week, often right after the store opens.

I shop much more these days at my local GO. There are far fewer people at the store at any given time.

At my local TJ, there are quite a few people in each aisle so its can get crowded. So Iā€™ve only been there 3 times since COVID hit. I am just not as comfortable there. And I donā€™t like to wait to get in.

Iā€™m shopping more at the Richmond GO than the El Cerrito Trader Joeā€™s or Berkeley Bowl West which is the opposite of my habits before COVID. At the later two, Iā€™ve had to wait in lines to get in and it was crowded in the aisles.

At the Richmond GO, someone is at the door wiping down carts every time Iā€™ve been there. Iā€™ve never had to wait in line to get in, but I usually go before 10 AM on a weekday. I also feel like there are more organic items there now.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I did too. I went to Trader Joeā€™s every week before COVID.

Me too, there was one around the corner from my office, but since Covid working from home Iā€™ve only been twice. And if G.O. would start getting Bobā€™s steel cut oats back in stock Iā€™d have no reason at all to go to TJs!

Trader Joeā€™s has Bobā€™s steel cut oats? Thatā€™s what I have been looking for. And I notice the Costco website doesnā€™t carry it any more.

No they have their own TJs brand, but it seems the same to me. Itā€™s my standard breakfast with fruit mixed in and a little honey.

Thanks for the lead. I will have to stock some up then next time I go. I used to get the 7lb quick cooking steel cut bags from Costco. But I canā€™t find them on the website any more. That was good- texture is like steel cut, but cook much faster. These days I have to resort to buying puny 2 lb bags from other grocery stores.

You can still get the steel cut oats from Costcoā€™s service with Instacart.

Mission GO SF. I didnā€™t see anything too interesting in the wine department but stocked up on the following just because 20% off.

1 Like

Have you tried the Sunce barbera before? I saw that wine there last night and passed for now, but might go back for a bottle or two if itā€™s supposed to be good.

I picked up three wines in the $4-6 range:

Wente Southern Hills cabernet sauvignon, 2015 (375 mL bottle). Livermore Valley (whoops! I bought it assuming it was a Sonoma wine - isnā€™t there a big winery in Sonoma that has a name like ā€œWenteā€?) They have displays of this stuff all throughout the store.
Recri cabernet sauvignon/malbec 60/40 blend, Mendoza, Argentina
Monte de Amigos Select red blend (50% Aragonez, 25% Touriga Nacional, 25% syrah), Alentejano, Portugal

Iā€™ve had Sunce Zins and like them a lot but havenā€™t yet tried the Barbera.

Richmond store has lots of the Steveā€™s cinnamon coffee ice cream in both dairy and non dairy varieties. Itā€™s pretty good.

2020-12-08 Oakland Grocery Outlet

Some items a few days ago at Oakland GO during their 10%-off sale for Seniors 55 and above on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 8 am to 12 pm. Prices listed are before any discount taken.

There was a line outside of about 8 people in front of me and I got in after about 10 minutes. There were anti-bacterial hand wipes at the door.

Wine -

$3.99 - Cavaliere Dā€™Oro Primitivo Puglia 2017, from Italy, 13.5% ABV. I bought 2 bottles because I recognized the winery, established in 1480, from a recent youtube video by Bay Area reviewer Kerry Kirkham who gave very positive marks to a different wine, a chianti, from the same winery. As I understand it, primitivo is similar to zinfandel. Again, Kerry is not talking about the primitivo.

From a bottle opened 2 days ago , it has aromas of tart strawberry, pomegranate, leather, and slate with a deep burgundy color.

On the plate, taste of cinnamon, sour fruit, pear and nutmeg with a mineral undertoneā€¦ The body is medium and the tannins well-rounded with a very smooth finish. Would I buy this again at $4? Yes!

Deli -

$1.99 - Malibu Mylk, organic flax seed milk, 48 oz. carton, with cinnamon powder, unsweetened. 1800+ mg of Omega 3s. Itā€™s creamier than the other flax seed milk they carry, maybe due to 3 mg of fiber per serving, with a slight cinnamon flavor and a light beige color. Distributed by Malibu Mylk of Malibu, CA.

99 cents - Oasis Organic Hummus, 12 oz. tub, Best By 12/17/20. I bought 5 tubs and will buy it again if I see it at this price.

$2.99/7 oz. Bulgarian White Cheese made from sheepā€™s milk which technically now canā€™t be called feta according to the EU since it is not from Greece.

Other -

$4.99 Nescafe Extraforte Instant Coffee, 8.11 oz. (230 grams). Best before June 2022. From Brazil and the label is in Portuguese.

2 Likes

Curious foreigner asks: Why is Grocery Outlet the way it is? I mean, where were these items before they got to the GO shelves?
It seems a bit like Forrest Gumpā€™s box of chocolates. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you ever been in a Grocery Outlet or have any questions about a particular product? And, no, it is nothing like Forrest Gumpā€™s box of chocolates.

Here are links to some business articles that you should read thoroughly, if you are seriously interested:

2 Likes