Grocery Outlet 2019 [Bay Area]

So Nando’s is a South African fast food chain that specializes in rotisserie chicken. (In the US, you can find outlets in the Baltimore/DC area.) The chicken marinates in the sauce, and the sauce is also poured over the chicken. That’s the best use for it. We always have a couple of bottles in the house. The hotter versions are quite spicy–lots of piri piri peppers in there!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I did a quick scroll through his YouTube videos and there is one title where it says he has over 500 pieces of cast iron cookware - I’ll have to watch it to see what his motivation is. I have two, only one of which I use regularly,

1 Like

Good day at the GO PA store today:

Expiration Mar 2020

@hhc I’ve changed my mind about the Dagoba extra dark. I didn’t like it the first couple of times, but I grew to find it quite smooth for an extra dark.

Has anyone tried this cheese?

This looks interesting. The sell-by is today though.

Tahini/ coconut butter, ghee, etc.:

Loads of Delverde pasta in various shapes and package size. The 50c packages are slightly more than half a pound, or 250g. 99c packages are a pound each.

2 Likes

The Colosseum prosciutto is ok for sandwiches. Not as good as the thinner-sliced Principe prosciutto GO has carried (which seems to have disappeared in recent months) but decent considering the lower price.

Going to have to check the SF stores for the Delverde pastas. At South Van Ness on Monday they only had the linguini fini, the gemelli, and the tortiglioni. Made the tortiglioni with sage and brown butter last night and thought it was pretty solid.

Wow, the difference in goods between Palo Alto and Hayward is quite something. We are definitely more downmarket!

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, the La Molisana, the Pastificio G Di Martino (not pictured), and the Delverde pasta are bronze die cut.

sck: have you tried the Green & Blacks organic hazelnut & currant candybar? That sounds good to me.

@hhc The bar itself would probably be ok if the hazelnut isn’t a bit stale, even if the sell by is in 2020.

Grocery Outlet in Alameda yesterday -

87 cents - Good Karma Flaxseed Drinkable Yogurt Plain 32 oz., some added cane sugar (about 8 grams per serving), very low price probably because the Best By date is July 19 2019.

$1.49 - Teton Waters Ranch Grass-Fed Beef Original Sausage, 8 links, 5.6 oz., also had the Maple flavor, in the freezer section.

$4.99 - Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Traditional Mayo 12. oz.

$1.99 Elmhurst Unsweetened Milked Walnuts 32. oz, looks to be about 3 times more dense than regular nut milks and is very high in Omega-3’s. Best By date is Sept. 20, 2019, not in the refrigerated section. Haven’t tried it yet but did have their cashew milk which was wonderful.

$4.99 Steelhead Vineyards Red 2014 North Coast
vinted and bottled by Steelhead Vineyards of Healdsburg

excerpts from Vivino -

Comment
Blackberry and pear very strong nose it is a deep ruby color with a light ethyls drops The wine is chewy with a desire to keep on the palate . Robust with cocoa ginger and tobacco It is a good find that goes perfectly giving Depth to our Carne Asada and boiled potatoes .

Lorenzo Baillieux641 ratings
Rated on Apr 7, 2018

And amazing value read blender found a grocery outlet in Rocklin California for a measly $4.99. A spectacular buy rich and full bodied

Comment

Jerry Klein35 ratings
Rated on May 11, 2019

Got a bargain on the price. Impressed. Great legs, but smooth. Has a strong pepper nose, dry, stone finish, I also get a sniff of ginger

2 Likes

I stopped in at the Portola store in SF yesterday. Hadn’t been in about a year. I should make more of an effort to shop here - the owners appear not to raise prices on higher-demand items like they do at South Van Ness.

Ro-tel tomatoes with green chile, $1/can
Oreo fudge coated thin bites, $1 for about 6oz
Gulden’s deli mustard, regular and Sriracha flavors, $1

2 Likes

Late in posting. This is from Monday in PA.

1 Like

I wish we got Ben and Jerry’s, though I see Talenti occasionally. Lots of #$%$ Halo Top, though.

1 Like

Just came back from Bayshore Blvd. store. They had plenty of the Charles Chocolate bars. They don’t have the Vermont Creamery butter anymore though. Has anyone seen that item at other GO stores?

5 Likes

I saw that video, and passed it on to my South African friends. My wife is from SA, hence why I know so much about Nando’s. I’ve eaten at branches in London on numerous occasions–great option to have when everything in the UK is fairly expensive for US visitors.

2 Likes

Hayward had lots of Ben and Jerry’s today, plus a few flavors of Talenti–I got the Cinnamon Peach Biscuit flavor because it’s really good. Other items of note:

–Intelligensia whole bean coffee for $4.99, but it was roasted in April with a BB date of July 2 so I passed
–Wild Ophelia chocolate coffee bites for 97 cents
–Cans of Stumptown Nitro Cold Brew for $2.49
–Lots of local cheese, Bob’s Red Mill products, and Bear Naked granola

today at Grocery Outlet in Richmond CA on San Pablo Ave:

$2.50, Slim Twin Cardamom Organic Low-Fat Ice Cream from Three Twins of Petaluma, CA. a pint. Wow, I ate the whole pint in one sitting and didn’t mean to-

Today at South Van Ness:

Principe prosciutto is back in stock, $2.98 (expiration date August 16
Elmhurst milked walnuts, unsweetened, $2
Point Reyes Bay blue cheese $0.98! I bought four wedges. Best by date was yesterday though.

What kind of local cheese are there? Bay Blue?

Yesterday, they had Fiscalini, which is based in the Modesto area (I’ve been to the store by the dairy–good stuff). I’ve seen Point Reyes blue at GO.