Grocery Outlet 2019 [Bay Area]

Oh yeah those Pepperidge Farm Maui cookies are so good. They have a sell by date of May 31st or something, but thy don’t last long in my house anyway.

2 Likes

Sunday at the PA store:

1 Like

Wednesday evening at the PA store:

This lentil snack was on the shelf unpriced. The two cashiers huddled but couldn’t locate the price so they just sold them at 99c. I got 4 bags. Delicious. (I’ve had them before elsewhere)

What is Bulgarian feta used for?

4 Likes

The Hayward GO (near Castro Valley border) regularly has grass-fed ground beef and semi-regularly has grass-fed ground lamb, a rarity. The beef is currently going for $5.49/lb. We buy both often and have found the quality to be quite good.

We don’t get nearly the same fancy-shmancy stuff the Palo Alto and SF branches seem to get. :wink:

4 Likes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Emeryville-s-Grocery-Outlet-heads-to-Wall-Street-14016363.php

excerpts:

Most of its stores are on the West Coast, and most of those are in California, but it plans to expand further nationally. It is primarily a franchised operation: Of its 323 stores, 315 are run by independent owners.

“Even those who can afford to shop elsewhere love finding a ‘steal,’ and it’s a habit that’s here to stay,”…

Robert Inouye (middle) and Judy Inouye (right) buy beer at Grocery Outlet, a 73-year-old company with Bay Area roots on Monday, June 17, 2019 in Oakland, Calif. Married for forty three years, Judy’s been shopping at Grocery Outlet for at least the past three decades.

1 Like

It never occurred to me to pay attention to the meat and the cold case there in general. Anything else you like?

That GO occasionally has good cheese; once, I found the Point Reyes blue someone else had posted about earlier. I’ve seen decent yogurt and butter too.

1 Like

Ours (Geary, SF) regularly has very good corned beef, fresh lamb, grass-fed ground beef. Good small pork shoulder chunks, as well as small pieces of beef chuck, both good for crock-pot or slow oven cooking. We’ve bought excellent half-hams. Aidells sausages. As StephanieL says, yogurts, my favorite grass-fed cow brands. Sometimes Euro butters. Always some brand of pasture eggs. Humboldt organic milk and cream.

2 Likes

S. Van Ness SF
No too much exciting. The Mcavoy Ranch olive oil
Is back in stock and I grabbed a few packs of Bobs Redmill Steel cut oats. Bought the last 2 Acacia rose’s, at $3.99 a bottle it’s become my house rose. Also got a pack of the organic grass fed beef. I use it in pasta sauce as it seems a little lean and finely chopped for burgers - but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Today morning at PA:

Chocolate deal of the year- Charles SF chocolate @ $1.99 each. I got 14 bars. Sorry, I love chocolate. There are still about 15 left. :slight_smile: Best by 8/20 this year. Taste just fine.

Other

The lentil snack I got last time is $1.99 each.

Plenty of misty and southmoon blueberries, concord grapes, ouachita blackberry @ $6.99 each.

4 Likes

Bayshore Blvd. SF
I really like this honey, it has a nice rich taste. I was looking for the Charles Chocolate bars that were there a few weeks back, but apparently SCK bought up all of G.O.'s remaining stock.

3 Likes

SCK? What’s that?

1 Like

SCK - Hungry Onion founder and chocolate hoarder.

2 Likes

I certainly like chocolate but I don’t like it enough yet to trek to Bayshore to buy them all up!

General question: Is there such a thing as organic honey? Don’t bees just fly anywhere they want to collect nectars? I would have thought it’d be similar to fish where there isn’t such a thing as organic if its a wild caught one.

2 Likes

The organic honey thing does appear to be a bit of B.S.: https://livingmaxwell.com/organic-honey-certified

I guess the main thing is they aren’t using certain chemicals to kill mites in the hives and the land surrounding you hives within a couple mile radius is certified organic - so keep your bees from flying too far!

Grocery Outlet in Richmond on San Pablo Ave:

$1.49 Flatout Italian Flatbread with herbs, high fiber, Weight Watchers -endorsed 11 oz

99 cents - President Feta in olive oil, pink peppercorn and pepper, made of sheep’s milk

$1.29 Yummy Spoonful Veggie Beef Bowl for kids, says organic grass fed beef

$1.99 Ocean Eclipse Wild Salmon Burgers, 4 burgers

$8.99 Bumble Bee Seared Ahi Tuna, with olive oil. I like these. 18 oz.

$1.99 Jardines Ghost Pepper and Pumpkin Salsa

https://www.salsaexpress.com/p-5249-jardines-ghost-pumpkin-salsa.aspx

99 cents Tasty Bite Thai Vegetable Curry, 10 oz.

$1.49 Nando’s Peri Peri Sauce, medium

$4.99 Hierogram Old Vine Zinfandel 2016

$3.99 Barrymore Pinot Grigio 2017

Bright aromas of lime, pear and crushed chalk rise to the nose atop a slight bit of effervescence in this latest release from the actress Drew Barrymore. The sip is bright and playful with lots of fun energy and a compelling texture, proving easy to quaff if simple overall.

https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/barrymore-2016-pinot-grigio-california/

Allegro Ballroom of Emeryville is opening a new dance floor next to Grocery Outlet for ballroom, cha cha, waltz, foxtrot, swing and salsa dancing. You can go into GO. buy some salsa and then dance to salsa.

2 Likes

correction: the President Feta has rapeseed oil, not olive oil, and also has black pepper.

Also, the Ocean Eclipse Salmon Burgers are not very good and are chewy.

1 Like

Man that second dude really likes cast iron skillets!
I bought some of that Peri Peri sauce a while back but haven’t figured out what to do with it, whether to use it to roast with or as a side sauce.

1 Like

All I could see was the shadow of the fan and wondering if it was gonna fly down and consume him.
I certainly don’t feel bad about my frying pan addiction after watching.
He could be one of my many cousins from Texas. And Oklahoma. And Kansas.
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The Jardines I got at GO says “Fiery” the front of the label and that it is. Very spicy and the heat lingers. It also has pumpkin puree in it so while there is lot of tomato it’s not ketchupy to me. Skillet guy’s jar doesn’t say “Fiery” on it as far as I can tell. Tried the Jardines last night and today and really like it.

Haven’t opened the Peri Peri yet but the reviews on Amazon were favorable.

2 Likes