Grand Tavern OMG. Neptune City

All in fun!

1 Like

I married minto a Sicilian family so it’s meatballs for every occasion. Would have killed for a sabrett with kraut. Although several people I trust recently recommended Thumans to me so there might be a switch up there.

We stopped on last night around 7, fully expected not a seat to be had but my wife scored two seats at the bar while I parked the car.
Had the house made ricotta which my wife ended up eating about 90% of and that was her meal. It was fantastic.
I got the pork belly appetizer special which I loved.

For my entree I got the chicken crepinette, with the cauliflower puree with peas and asparagus and a tarragon cream. Ground chicken wrapped in cabbage and then wrapped caul fat. Fantastic, my wife tasted it and said she would order that next time.

For dessert they now have a milk chocolate pot de creme with blueberry jam and whipped cream, now my favorite dessert is the pot de creme at Pascale so this was ordered for comparison purposes. While good, it just wasn’t on the same level as the pot de creme at Pascale, but also different preparation.

1 Like

2 Likes

We made reservations to have Mother’s Day brunch her today and I was so excited since we haven’t been in forever. We made the reservation and twice said, 2 plus a baby. We arrived today and they told us they don’t have a high chair and seemed confused that we wouldn’t bring our own (?) We eat out a lot and have NEVER encountered this problem. We left and went to Reyla’s which was awesome and I’ll post about it there.

1 Like

So I finally made it here last night. Quite the interesting place, we arrived around 7:30 and took two seats at the bar closest to the kitchen. It has a limited menu and it seems I probably hit it at the wrong time because there wasn’t a lot that jumped out at me.

There was one special a porterhouse for two but my wife would have no part of that so I tried the fried chicken on the menu. My wife ordered the pan fried salmon “hunters style” and we shared the only salad on the menu.

The salad was good though a little heavy on the dressing for her, I didn’t mind it. Nice sized salad with plenty to share,

The fried chicken was very good, just a little confused as it contained both boned and boneless pieces, my wife’s salmon was good but rather saucy which the menu didn’t really describe. The biggest let down of my dish was the collard greens, not that they were a let down, but they were served under the chicken and ontop of the pomme purĂ©e. There was also a sauce on the purĂ©e which mixed into the greens so it was difficult to actually enjoy the taste of the collards.

All in all we were happy and I would certainly go back but maybe wait till a new menu comes out, or worse case try the lamb.

Actually as I’m looking at the pic you can really see the salmon plate is covered in a sauce again unmentioned on the menu. I’m not familiar with “hunter style “ but assumed it was just the root vegetables it was served with.

You can also see the sauce under the chicken which again was not mentioned in the description. Screenshot of menu::

Yeah having crispy chicken sit in sauce isn’t really me thing.

So the ribeye is off the menu?

Correct they only have skirt, which I know is your favorite not so much mine, on the current menu.

I’m thinking Hunter Style is a fancy way of saying cacciatore, as in chicken. That’s what tomatoes, mushroom, and potatoes make me think of.

Guess you better like pomme puree, huh? Hope it was good since it appears 1/3 of the time.

How was the crowd? Busy?

I love skirt but ribeye is my fave.

I wonder if the $125 price tag has anything to do with it?

For a Tuesday night it was “ok”
probably 10 people at the bar and 4-5 tables.

@corvette_johnny you saying the porterhouse is $125? Since I knew I wasn’t getting it I never asked the price.

The ribeye a while back was 125 (served for two) 
or one hungry dude

If you look near the top of this thread coldbeer talks about it and posted a pic

1 Like

I thought it was the tomahawk that was $125. I watched a family of four eat it.

Yes a tomahawk is the ribeye cut with the rib bone attached. That’s the 125 dollar one I was referring too (not sure if there is another ribeye on the menu)

Let me preface that I really enjoy Grand Tavern , the background music, the service and the consistently well done food. I was there Last Saturday and had the Fried Chicken thought it was good
 and it was plated separately from the collards and mashed and the portion was definately at least ahalf a bird. Collards tasted great BTW but I kept thinking about Drews chicken when I was eating the Taverns yardbird. (Drew s is my favorite non-Korean Fried) We were there at 5:30 cause I always think its going to be crowded. It was pretty empty 
by the time we left it did fill up to 80% capacity but still accessible for any walk ins. They make a really nice burger if you ever get back.

4 Likes

Did you request it to be plated separately? I would have preferred that because honestly I ordered the dish for the collards, so while it was good, it still disappointing because I couldn’t enjoy the collards flavor. Funny you bring up Drew’s, I too prefer his chicken and I was going to say that in my initial post but didn’t’ want to come across as trying to trash the Grand Tavern, I did genuinely enjoy it just fell a bit short of my expectations. (I was hoping for a decent single portion steak option)

1 Like

No request to plate separately
 maybe because u were seated at bar they wanted to save counter space?? First time I had there chicken didnt know antyhing about it but my portion also looked bigger than yours.

Mine consisted of 4 pieces, a boneless white meat/breast, drum stick, thigh and curiously small french cut leg. The serving size was ample.

1 Like