Goose - leftovers

Roast goose for dinner. Lidl had frozen geese, albeit very small, at an absolute bargain price.

We bought two, on the basis that one would not feed us generously for a holiday feast but that two is too much for one meal. We’ve never cooked goose before so have no experience to draw on over leftovers (other than knowing the rendered fat is excellent for roast potatoes). So, ideas welcomed for a use-up. TIA.

1 Like

Leftover hash. I finely dice leftover meat, potatoes, onions and any other leftover veg I have (cabbage is excellent), mix and cook in a skillet over fairly high heat till crispy, flip and crisp the other side. Serve with a fried egg and something pickled. You need to season the hash quite aggressively. Sometimes I add a bit of cream to pull it together and help it caramelize on the edges. The quality of the meat drives the quality of the hash: goose would be wonderful I think.

3 Likes

Not really a suggestion I’m afraid John, more of a memory, but Boxing Day supper at my late in-laws’ house was always cold goose & Champagne. We all enjoyed the Dickensian feel this had, in front of a log fire.

1 Like

Have you heard of Moroccan pastilla? Your favourite cooks “hairy bikers” made it in Fez. They used chicken but you can tweak it using your goose. One less step as your goose is already cooked. Perhaps the cooked meat needs a bit of moistening to prevent dryness.

The partner had chicken pastilla today (we are in Fez at the moment).

How about a goose pie? As you have cooked with English ingredients (?!), cutting up the cooked meat with vegetables and adding a crust makes an excellent pie.

2 Likes

Something we often do with other Christmas leftovers, like turkey & ham bound with a white sauce and then wrapped in puff pastry folded over to make, in effect, a large pasty.

I hope you saved the rendered-out goose fat! For frying just about anything.

1 Like

Talking about goose fat, goose mousse or terrine can be an interesting option.
Orange zest and argumes is a classic match with duck or goose, fig and olives can be an interesting alternative.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Around thanksgiving here there were many recommendations for using leftover turkey for pho (on that “other” site), this recipe looks like a flexible version to follow using your leftover goose- although of course a good stock from the bones may be the most important ingredient needed

@Ttrockwood
If the leftover contains the carcass, that is great for a (pho) broth.

1 Like

Due to the presence of other leftovers - roast spuds and red cabbage - I’m going down Gretchen’s hash route for lunch (or goose bubble & squeak, if you prefer). Maybe the last remaining pickled walnut and a dollop of redcurrant jelly will give a sweet/sour edge.

Which does leave me with half a breast. I think something of a riff on naf’s goose mousse, not least as we have figs and olives.

My thanks to all.

3 Likes

The last of the goose (and some of the leftover ham) is going into a ragu recipe, Mrs H found. It’s from Jamie Oliver’s Christmas cookbook and he says its workable with any leftover meat. Basic ragu - softened carrot, onion and celery, couple of packs of passata, dried herbs and the chopped meats. Simmers for an hour or so. It’s a recipe serving six - we’ll split it into two and freeze both.

4 Likes

To late I know but one idea could have been a goose version of a Peking Duck pancake. Cold or warm meat, a bit of hoisin sauce and some shredded spring onions wrapped in some pancake wrappers from your local Asian supermarket.

2 Likes

I cooked a goose for Thanksgiving. Used the leftovers to make soup. Same as making a Turkey soup .

First it was someone with a leftover duck breast, and now it’s a whole cooked goose! Golly, I wish I had some problems like that! Cooked goose keeps pretty well in the fridge, and I could think of worse uses than the pies etcetera that have been suggested so far. My first thought for the duck was sandwiches, and I’d probably slice up some goose for the same treatment. Also, something I like to do for New Year’s is a Choucroute Garni, and goose would be an excellent substitute for the pork shoulder I normally use as the non-charcuterie component, along with the sausages and a bit of bacon.

1 Like