Go to lemon curd recipe - ratios, yolks or whole eggs

I am planning to make lemon curd this week but recipes seem similar but also different in terms of ratios of ingredients and yolks vs whole eggs. For example, Ina Garten uses a whopping 1.5 cups sugar vs recipes with1/2 cup sugar for similar numbers of eggs and lemon juice. Do you have a go to recipe?

Pierre Hermé’s. Decadent.

2 Likes

Excellent from Jacques Genin, the master of lemon tart in France.

Here is the recipe with lime. I received praises everytime I made this tart.
I have tried the recipe by replacing with lemons, equally good. But personally, lime has a stronger character and we have preferred.

1 Like

I second, third and fourth sck on the Pierre Herme recipe. It is DIVINE. I have also used the same technique to make rhubarb curd/cream - also fabulous, although the rhubarb can’t take quite as much butter as lemon or lime can.

And for those days when you have a sack of lemons that must be used and it’s HOT. . . I use the microwave lemon curd recipe from Allrecipes. It’s pretty good.

1 Like

This is from a series in the The Guardian which is a UK Newspaper with a good food section. The author tests lots of different recipes for the same dish and compares and contrasts the results to come up with her “perfect” version. Its got some good info on the effect of yolks vs whole eggs.

4 Likes

will try to make it in the next month and use the lemon curd for the other recipe raspberry tart.

There’s a Vitamix recipe: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/lemon-curd

There is a review there saying it doesn’t thicken properly, but you can probably use a thermometer to check the temperature between steps to be sure it’s right.

1 Like

My basic Recipe
6 Yolks
.5 C Sugar
.5 C Lemon Juice
Zest from Lemons
6 T Butter

2 Likes

I just “gleaned” a bunch of lemons and would like to make a batch or two of curd ( and panna cotta, and preserved lemons). I found a recipe that says including a whole yolk makes it thicker,

which is better for everyone, since I won’t start an “What would you do with a dozen egg whites?” thread, but wondering if there’s a downside. Also wondering about the pros andcons of freezing it.

This Pierre Hermé via Dorie Greenspan lemon creme is my secret weapon. It is creamier than classic curd but absolutely addictive. It refrigerates and freezes well. I use it as topping, ingredient (trifle, Eton Mess), certainly as tart filling or off the spoon. Enjoy!

eta I see that sck and many others posted this recipe in august '17

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, I just checked out the recipe. I am a huge lemon fan. And I can understand why it’s sooooo good. BUTTER!

The other thing that they do is rubbing the lemon zest with the sugar. I’ve used that as my secret weapon for really getting the lemon taste into things. It just takes a few minutes longer, but boy, it really amps up the flavor is a good way.

I’m going to skip the tart part, and just put it into individual glass serving cups. That way I can justify eating one serving at a time.

Thanks for posting this!

And Shrinkrap, I’m dying to know what you do as well!

3 Likes

I made a similar one, from Jacques Genin. It’s 220g whole eggs, 220g caster sugar, 220g lemon juice, 26g zest and 260g unsalted butter. Most of the time I add less butter and sugar, so it’s about 180g sugar and 220g - 240g butter.

I agree the ingredients sugar, lemon juice, egg and butter shouldn’t have problem in freezing. Although I wonder will it be better to freeze the juice with zest and just make the curd when needed?

1 Like

LOL! That’s why I always use whole eggs.

I cook directly in the metal sauce pan with a smallish fire, it’s much faster. I never feel the metallic aftertaste mentioned, I use a wooden spoon. Sometimes a mixer is necessary to make sure the curd is smooth if there are some really tiny bits of egg formed during cooking (happened if the flame is a bit strong or I don’t stir enough).

1 Like

I personally do not like defrosted lemon juice. To me it gets a metallic edge to it. I have often frozen 8-10 ounce containers of the lemon cream with no change or deterioration of texture or flavor.

2 Likes

Usually, I’m much more sensitive to the metallic taste of store bought tomato sauce than lemon juice. Now you mentioned, the metal leach to acid during the preparation process sounds freaky.

1 Like

I use a le creuset insert over water just to be safe.

A couple of dollars at a garage sale, and very useful.

3 Likes

I came here to recommend this as well. It is unbelievable!!!

3 Likes

I might try the lemon creme next.