GNUDI/GNOCCHI - Spring 2022 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

Hey HOs! The votes are in and GNUDI/GNOCCHI was our big DOTQ winner, beating out panisse and sfiha. I look forward to reading about your adventures in the delicious world of Italian dumplings this quarter - buon appetito!

9 Likes

Well, it just so happens that I rolled out some gnocchi today. They will go in some kind of pesto, probably involving sorrel.

18 Likes

I have been meaning to try April Bloomfield’s gnudi recipe/technique for ages - maybe I’ll finally get around to it this quarter. https://www.seriouseats.com/spotted-pig-ricotta-gnudi-food-lab

3 Likes

Those look impressive. I can’t remember whether you’re vegetarian or vegan. If those are eggless gnocchi I’d be interested in your recipe…

I’m a huge Felicity Cloake fan, so posting these here.

4 Likes

I am vegan. They are just cooked potatoes put through a ricer, mixed with flour (in my case a gluten-free flour mix) and salt and pepper. There was also some nutmeg and parm in there. The parm for me was vegan parm (Violife) and there wasn’t that much of it.

4 Likes

I have had those at The Spotted Pig, and I am very keen to try to replicate them at home.

1 Like

My first order and my best order of ricotta gnudi was at The Spotted Pig, around 2009ish.

There used to be a good version at Alobar in Toronto around 2019, but the current menu has a ricotta ravioli instead.

1 Like

Pretty classic ricotta/spinach gnudi.

Poached, sauced

It is important to simmer these very quietly in order to prevent them from falling apart.

11 Likes

I have long felt that eggless gnocchi are lighter than with egg. Just riced potato and flour. I don’t add cheese before forming and poaching.

5 Likes

Last week we had an outstanding purple potato gnocchi with shrimp and asparagus and parmigiana cream at the Circle Restaurant in Newton, NJ.

8 Likes

I took an online cooking class with a chef in Italy last weekend. My eggless recipe came from him. And he said the exact same thing about them being lighter without egg. Actually it was something like with the egg in there, you will feel like you are going to choke on them.

6 Likes

@paryzer i live seeing your restaurant pics because they give me lovely ideas!

1 Like

Thank you @Saregama :blush:

Interesting - I wonder if that could be the difference between the very few gnocchi I’ve had that were good and the many I’ve had that were tough and leaden. Thinking about what eggs do in bread and other baked goods, it probably is. I’ve never made them myself (DH is not a fan, and if I am going to eat pasta there are many other types I would choose first), but I will keep this in mind should the urge strike me to make some!

3 Likes

Don’t forget about adding color and flavor to your gnocchi. I was introduced to beet gnocchi at Rino* in Paris. Cloning at home, I’ve just added pureed beets along with the potato. Think spinach or pumpkin. Adjust flour to absorb extra moisture.

*Passerini served these topped with grill squid. Oh my…

3 Likes

My gnocchi from last night. I made a pesto of sorrel, scallion, and pistachio, which was tossed with the gnocchi. I know I oversauced by Italian standards, but I wanted my greens. I had a large tomato that needed to be used, so it was cooked with fresh rosemary and olive oil, and the resulting sauce was served under the gnocchi. I also roasted some chickpeas and scattered them around.

20 Likes

I cheat, and buy ready made gnocci from my local Ralph’s grocery store. Once I whip up my “secret” marinara sauce–add in some mushrooms–I can make a real feast that everyone enjoys.

Ray

3 Likes

@drrayeye I’ve done the same and purchased mine @ an Italian Pasta Shop.
I’m game to try to make it from scratch this quarter.
However mine won’t be nearly as beautiful as @MelMM’s.

1 Like

Thanks for juggling the nominations/voting @biondanonima. Now if I can only find that (as yet unused) gnocchi board I ordered years ago when I thought I’d try homemade pasta-making. Looking forward to an interesting quarter.

2 Likes