Glazed nut recipes?

Initially I was looking for some slightly sweet and healthier glazed nut combination/s that go with beer, but not always. Most the stuff in the store isn’t very healthy and can be pricey. These Sahele Snacks have creative combinations and interesting flavours, but are pricey often add an oil ingredient I am not particularly fond of.

https://jet.com/search?term=Sahale%20Snacks&attribute=Brands~Sahale%20Snacks

Any ideas on trying to do some Glazed nut recipes on my own?

Here are two Chowhound threads with lots of recipes (I posted the one I use in the first thread). The best price I find on raw walnuts, almonds, and pecans is at Costco.

1 Like

The union square cafe nuts are my favorite, but they do not have the same sweet glaze to them as sahale snacks

A quick googling found a few “copycat” recipes for sahale snacks
http://beardandbonnet.com/homemade-valdosta-pecans-gluten-free-and-vegan/

Thanks, I guess there might not be as much to it as I thought. I will give it a go and stop paying 6 bucks for a small bag of flavored peanuts

these are like crack

i use a fair amount of cayenne and these get hoovered at every party. i usually use a mix of nuts, not just peanuts.

1 Like

Oh! Those are just like nyc street nuts with added spices!

It’s time to make the spiced nuts!

More Chowhound threads. I started the first one.

It says "Many years ago I made what I thought was the perfect candied pecan recipe for my tastes, most likely from Gourmet, but have never found the same one again. I have seen and tried many, and have a collection of recipes, but can’t figure out exactly which one I want to make my own. I know I like sweet-salty-and pretty spicy. I like cumin, I like chipotle powder, I like five spice powder for heat. This year I might try ras el hanout, or quatre epices I got in France last June. I don’t make much candy, but I think those who do have a handle on this;

Some methods call for boiling equal amounts of water with sugar, adding nuts and spices, then baking in the oven at 375. These come closes to what I think I’m looking for. Keep two weeks.

Some use equal amounts of butter and sugar, bake in a 300 degree oven. I think these end up greasy. Keep 5 days.

One uses olive oil, honey and sugar, along with spices; nuts mixed in and cooked for 6 minutes. No baking. I think these turn out too sticky, and only keep 3 days.

Another uses honey and sugar, no oil, bakes at 350. Not sure I like the honey.

Then there are the ones with egg whites. Not the ones I remember, and seem like too much work, too much coating.

Can anyone explain how to think about these recipe variations?

I know there are threads here, and I will link them."

I made these last year.

I made these too, but have no idea what they are called.

2 Likes

I’m 3/4 of the way through this recipe and noticed it includes ketchup!

I only have "plum ketchup " and wondercif something else might be a better substitute.

No ketchup in these.

1 Like

1 Like

I think the most important difference between these recipes (and the longevity of the finished product) is the amount of moisture introduced. The ones that include honey, egg white, butter (contains water), or cook at too low a temperature to thoroughly dry things out are going to make a softer and shorter-lived finished product. The method you mentioned involving sugar syrup does introduce some moisture, but since you effectively make a light caramel first by boiling the sugar and water mixture, presumably a good deal of the moisture is boiled out. The baking temperature is important too - 300 is definitely not hot enough to properly toast nuts and caramelize sugar (unless you leave them in for an hour!) The 375 called for in the sugar syrup recipe is hot enough to remove the remaining moisture and results in crisp and long-lasting nuts.

1 Like

If you only need a little ketchup just for this, it might almost be easier to make it (if you have the ingredients on hand) than to figure out what else to substitute. All that’s important in it is tomato paste with vinegar and sugar (or corn syrup). Mix. If it looks like ketchup and tastes OK, use it. :slight_smile:

Oh, I forgot the main Heinz secret: pretend you’ve lost the cap to the corn syrup bottle, and while you look around for it, keep pouring. :grin:

1 Like

That remains helpful. Thank you!
I made these. Sort of.

But with oldish Baharat Spice subbing for the warm spices. .

3 Likes