Spiced nuts for gifts

I’m thinking of making some some spiced nuts to give as holiday gifts, maybe packed in a nice jar. I’ve never made them before, and the number of possibilities online are overwhelming. Do any of you have a recipe that you like? I’d like to go in the savory direction rather than sweet. Much appreciated!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yay! My favorite holiday project!

1 Like

My favorite is to toast raw cashews, walnuts, pecans and peanuts together on a tray until fragrant then toss in a mixture of hot honey, maldon salt and fresh chopped rosemary. Air dry until firm and enjoy.

3 Likes

I’ve been making this for years. Large canisters of BJ’s mixed nuts will make a 2.5x batch. Easy to make in the microwave.

5 Likes

I do Smitten Kitchen’s Union Sq bar nuts every year but I amp every element way up.

5 Likes

I do this recipe with pecans, my favorite. They get raves as presents! I forget where I got the recipe for them. They contain rum, yum!

2 cups raw pecan halves (8 ounces)

WARM SPICE MIX
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

RUM GLAZE
1 tablespoon rum, preferably dark
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

parchment lined tray

1. In a microwavable bowl, pour in pecans. Cook in the microwave in one minute increments. Stir and cook for one additional minute. Taste, and keep cooking until the nuts are nicely toasted.

2. For the spice mix: Stir together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in medium bowl; set aside.

3. For the glaze: Bring rum, vanilla, brown sugar, and butter to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Stir in toasted pecans and cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until nuts are shiny and almost all liquid has evaporated, about 1½ minutes.

4. Transfer glazed pecans to bowl with spice mix; toss well to coat. Return glazed and spiced pecans to parchment-lined tray to cool (can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days).

5 Likes

I’ll paraphrase a much loved recipe from one of my books. Toast whole almonds in a pan until fragrant. Remove and melt some brown sugar in the pan until gooey. Toss the almonds in there to coat. While still sticky, then toss the almonds into a mixture of salt, red pepper flakes, ground cumin, and sesame seeds until coated. Then dry them out for a while in a low oven.

6 Likes

I’ll pass on the spiced nuts. I had them once while in the service in Tijuana, I think. I had to see a dermatologist.

Ha ha.

1 Like

:disappointed: It was very early.

I’m sure we are all doing the best we can.

wow it seems tempting

I made these for thanksgiving and they were a big hit. Have made once since and subbed black pepper for cayenne. Both good
Sweet and Spicy nuts
3/4 C sugar I used sugar in the raw
1 t kosher salt
1 T Chile powder like Mcormick
2 t cinnamon
2 t cayenne or same amount of black pepper
1 large egg white
2 C salted peanuts
2 c unsalted almonds

Oven 325 f if convection, 350 f if not
Line baking with parchment
In a big bowl beat egg white until frothy I used
A whisk
Add sugar spices and salt to egg white and mix well
Add nuts and coat with mixture. Mix well
Spread nuts on baking sheet
Bake about 20 minutes until nuts get a little toasted looking. Err on the side of less dark or nuts will taste bitter
Stir one time while baking
They will still look a little wet at the 20 minute mark but will firm up as they cool. Cool completely before putting in air tight container. They last at least a week.

5 Likes

Just a quick update on spice nut variety.
Adding not-in-oil diced sun dried tomatoes or diced well drained bacon is a nice addition to spice nuts you serve as a party snack/gift.
Toasted nuts tossed in powdered vegetable like powdered beets or carrots is delicious.
A combo of maple syrup and duck fat as the tossing mixture is decadent.

5 Likes

Made some last night

1 Like