Gazpacho

Oooo! That sounds good!

Drowning in monster heirlooms over here, so I decided to make some gazpacho today. I couldn’t decide between the many recipes posted recently, like the NYT recipe, a Cooking LIght recipe mentioned upthread (justification for buying fancy sherry!), and a Williams-Sonoma recipe that appealed to me because it was ostensibly for heirlooms and because it had fresh thyme, which I also have an abundance of in my garden…

So I made a mashup of all three. Into the food processor went:

3-ish pounds of heirloom tomatoes (Cherokee Purple, Pink Brandywine, Polish Giant)
2 small Persian cucumbers
1/2 clove garlic (raw garlic no longer agrees with me)
Handful fresh Italian parsley
A lot of fresh thyme
1 Cubanelle pepper
Oloroso sherry
Juice of a whole lemon (I had no sherry vinegar and it needed brightening)
Lots of good Spanish olive oil
2 pieces of sourdough bread
Salt and pepper

This was processed, then pressed through a fine sieve.

IMG_0234

IMG_0236

IMG_0238

Tomorrow I will garnish with some heirloom cherry tomatoes, chopped Persian cuke, herbs and more olive oil. Looking forward to trying it!
6 Likes

A fine sieve! I will dream about gazpacho tonight.

2 Likes

So excited to hear! I initially forgot the sherry vinegar in my last batch and it was DEFINITELY missing acid. I also add sugar and salt liberally until everything seems to be in balance.

2 Likes

The garden is going bananas with tomatoes. (Please ignore the clutter.) We eat at least 2-3/day and still can’t get through them all. I think another batch of gazpacho is calling!

7 Likes

tomato-palooza, for sure!!

1 Like

I’m jealous. I want to make 1 more batch of the Andalusian gazpacho from the Margaritaville cookbook and finally try the tomato carpaccio with horseradish ice from The New Midwestern Table before summer is over. I miss my vegetable garden.

4 Likes

Also jealous of everyone with a tomato glut right now. It was a very cold rainy spring for us, and most people’s gardens are a month late. I didn’t get my tiny tomato plants in the ground until mid-end June because that’s when the night temps were finally above 50. So now, I have 16 fair size tomato plants, but I’ve only seen 3-4 tiny green tomatoes all told. Of course, just because our summer started late doesn’t mean it will end late. I usually drag my feet about cutting the plants down and do it at the start of October when it’s been clear to everyone but me that nothing is happening with those plants anymore except decay. I am crossing my fingers that I’ll get some fruit by mid Sept.

2 Likes

I’ll cross mine for you too!

Thank you!! Send your green thumb thoughts my way. You have a beautiful garden.

1 Like

Try removing the sprout from the garlic cloves. That way you’ll probably do better with it.

Two questions for participants;
1)How long do/can you keep your gazpacho in the refrigerator?
2)What are your thoughts about adding the olive oil after sieving? It might depend on your sieve, but sometimes there’s a not insignificant amount left behind, and I assume olive oil as well.

In reviewing old posts I think I can expect about 5 day’s in the refrigerator with this recipe.

Today’s gazpacho. Mostly yellow and orange tomatoes, orange and red cubanelles, a green serrano, and the NYT recipe, but also bits of the others , with olive oil drizzled in to the blender after going through a fine sieve.

2 Likes

i keep forgetting to post a photo of my gazpacho because when i remember i have it in the fridge, i’m SO EXCITED to just pour it in a glass and drink it ice cold right away!

2 Likes

That’s the bottom line!

1 Like

This is my favorite gazpacho. I never skip the bread.

1 Like

Containers matter re how long — the glass bottle helps extend life. (I pour milk from the cardboard container into glass bottles and it went from lasting many days less than the date on it to a week or two longer.)

4 Likes

I keep gazpacho in the refrigerator for close to a week. Others may think that’s too long! I also sieve first and then drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running.

3 Likes

I just made gazpacho yesterday to use up the few tomatoes my garden yielded (RIP, my tomato plants) and a few gifted garden tomatoes. I used my Cuisinart the last few years, and while it was good, my batch this year made with a blender has been fantastic! And this was after I remembered that I forgot to throw in the 2 cloves of garlic. I like my gazpacho a bit chunky, and my blender chopped the veggies finely and more consistently than with the food processor. The biggest improvement though I suspect is due to following the Serious Eats advice to pre-salt all my chopped veggies for 30 minutes first. The resulting flavor was more intense and tasted more of a fresh vegetable than previously. I have about 4 cups of gazpacho, and I think I’ll be lucky if this makes it through the rest of tomorrow.

6 Likes