Fun food/recipe ideas for overnight on Mt Tam...

Pro: a fully stocked industrial kitchen on site…

Con: a 1-2 hour hike to lodge site w/ no vehicle access… Whatever I bring needs to be packed in and out again.

What would you plan for dinner?

5 Likes

When I’ve done an overnight trip to a cabin or chalet, I’ve brought eggs, mushrooms, cheese, bread, sausage, tomatoes, fresh basil, ready made dips, breads.

Most recent overnight where i brought food in, I made a caprese salad for dinner with baguette, and a frittata the next morning.

On previous overnight trips, I’ve made a strata that was ready to bake, a tomato pie that was baked before leaving my house, an arugula and mango salad, Greek village salad.

I did a 3 day ski trip with an Italian potluck for close to a decade. We often brought porchetta with us. Lasagna, some baked pasta dishes for the potluck Leftovers became sauce for pasta or gnocchi the next day, and leftover meat and cheese became sandwiches for our drive home.

3 Likes

Pancetta, dried pasta, few eggs, Parmesan, a bottle or two of wine, olives, bread. For pasta carbonara in the evening, eggs the next morning. Instant espresso powder for coffee, if you drink it. I’d keep things as light as possible for the hike in.

2 Likes

Pasta would be the obvious easy answer, but my partner has a gluten intolerance… I guess it’s simple and quick enough to make separate pots (I did it regularly this past summer in Italy) but that’s a lot of leftovers.

This is a hike-in-and-back-out type of place (it’s off the grid, not sure about shower facilities) so we’re only staying one night, and I don’t want to bring too much that we have to pack out leftovers.

I’d love to do a porchetta or a large roast, but I was thinking maybe something smaller and lighter like pork chops or Italian sausages with onions, peppers, rapini… I’ll be packing in wine bottles, evoo, herbs and seasonings, etc. just to be safe (not sure what’s already stocked) and maybe a small carton of eggs and bacon for the a.m.

Anyhow, I want to keep my pack as light as possible, since we need to bring sleeping bags as well, which adds a lot of weight. I was just excited by the high-end professional looking kitchen, but I guess it’s too difficult to do anything too aspirational.

2 Likes

Some of the imported Italian risotto mixes are decent, if you’re looking for a gluten-free option.

2 Likes

Salad kit too - purchased or homemade in a zip loc bag.

If you can get your hand on a nice reblochon or reblochon-like cheese, a simple tartiflette (potatoes/bacon/onions - no cream - white wine only to deglaze and to drink) would be a tasty and easy gluten free option.

3 Likes

Or raclette

3 Likes

Yes - what a great idea! So many possibilities & everything tastes pretty amazing after a hike in brisk weather.

(Realize you weren’t responding to me, saw the L & pulled the trigger.) My sentiment remains the same re: raclette.

1 Like

For afters: dark chocolate, nuts and dried fruit. Would be good with Port, but don’t know what you may want to pack in.

Eggs , bread , coffee, cheese and wine . A two hour hike
Good for you

5 Likes

Eggs ,bread , cheese, wine ,and coffee. Two hour hike . Good for you . Whatever you can carry up and carry out .

3 Likes

Make it easy on yourselves and concentrate on the companionship and not the ‘perfect’ meal. Snackies and lots of them, a loaf of something tolerable and a jug of something remarkable.

6 Likes

Kung Pao Chicken is always a fun surprise in hiking/climbing locales.

You should also be come prepared with a recording of Jesse Colin Young’s “Ridgetop”, 47 years on…

2 Likes

Since its Mt Tam, bring St George Terroir gin, crafted from botanicals found specifically in the Mt Tam region (Douglas fir, bay laurel, coastal sage, coriander etc). Makes a mean Negroni with Barolo chinato and Campari (both of which can be sipped on their own, of course.)

2 Likes

I can’t overemphasize Keep It Simple, Stupid. So many times I’ve overplanned our needs or, more likely, underestimated out lack of enthusiasm for complicated cooking on such an adventure. Everything and anything will taste amazing, the less cooking (AND CLEAN-UP) required, the better. ENJOY!

3 Likes

Exactly. And you will have to pack your trash out . Is what it sound like.

1 Like