Fruit and Meat - What's your say?

I often bake chicken or pork with apples, apricots, peaches, and plums. I think the flavors go together well. The only thing I’ve made with beef and fruit is tzimmes, the Jewish dish with prunes, dried apricots, carrots, and sweet potatoes, but I only make that once a year, if that.

1 Like

No one seems to have mentioned cranberries with turkey.

2 Likes

Does chutney count? I’m particularly fond of Geeta’s brand.

3 Likes

Yes. We usually have three or four homemade ones in the cupboard

3 Likes

I frequently cook a boneless pork loin roast atop thick slices of onion and apples. A drizzle of olive oil on each, salt/pepper and some fresh rosemary. The juices and fat from the pork drip onto the onions and apples which act like a roasting rack. It’s an easy meal, with baked winter squash.

3 Likes

Few days ago, I had scallop with a raspberry sauce, the tartness of the sauce makes the dish stood out.

3 Likes

I’m usually the last one to join any party but with limited exception (culinary vegetables) I still prefer my fruit: fresh, juicy, and raw.

1 Like

I don’t like grapes in anything but a bowl. My MIL talks about a friend of hers that made chicken salad with grapes in it, and I about gag at the thought.

Oh- I do like waldorf salad and that has grapes, but that’s probably it.

2 Likes

Chicken salad with grapes is common in local markets. It’s usually called Sonoma chicken salad and sometimes has pecans in it as well. Guess you wouldn’t like it!

2 Likes

Other than raisins, texture bothers me, I’d try anything at least once.

You can have my share- more for you.

1 Like

To the original question - heck yeah is my answer. I enjoy fruit and “meat” in so many different ways. The ones that weren’t mentioned above - I don’t think - fruit salsa on grilled fish, grilled pineapple chunks on an el pastor taco, Chinese style orange beef or orange chicken, pot roast with stewed prunes, chicken salad sandwich where they’ve put chunks of grape or apple in, picadillo type filling that includes both ground meat and raisins. Just off the top of my head. Yes to pineapple pizza!

2 Likes

No one likes durian with their meat?

I made an interesting sweet and sour cabbage rolls with cranberry sauce one time. Rhubarb sauce with shashlik. I like cherries, plum, berries with meat and poultry. I like pineapple with pork or chicken. I add dried apricots and raisins to many meat and poultry dishes. I like tagines, Coronation Chicken and Country Captain.

I can’t stand orange in main courses or side dishes. Orange wrecks salads and baked goods for me, too.

1 Like

Try it with grilled mackerel as a change from the more common gooseberry sauce.

1 Like

I think I overdosed on duck with cherries in the '80s. Pork is one meat that accepts fruit pretty well. Pineapple → al Pastor; apricot/jalapeno sauce with roast, but my favorite is roast or chops with caramelized apples/Calvados.
Else, I prefer meat savory.

1 Like

Also bockwurst or blood sausage with caramelized apples or pears.

1 Like

Have you had Birnen, Bohnen und Speck? https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/birnen-bohnen-und-speck-50107088/amp

Or Himmel und Erde?

Here is the rhubarb/ginger/mint sauce, which would be good on pork, chicken, duck, lamb.

Oh, Cumberland sauce deserves a mention in this thread, although we mentioned it elsewhere recently.

1 Like

I don’t know, never had that combo- do you like durian with meat?
If so, please post what you think goes well with durian, I have some in my freezer.