Friends from the old playground............

W…Wh…Wha…WHAT??? Nobody said Hello to you winecountry girl??? OMG

HELLO!!! Welcome!!! So very nice to have you join us! Seriously hello and thank you for joining us, hope you enjoy, look forward to your contributions. :grinning:

1 Like

Where on NYTimes, ritabwh? A search on chowhound doesn’t pick up anything.

1 Like

oh dear. maybe it was eater, or serious eats. i am sorry. i thought it was nytimes but looks like am wrong. i think the article was titled something like “what happened to chowhound?”

found it. la times. sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Dammit, I sent them a head shot for that article and they didn’t use it!

2 Likes

I thought that might be it.

I wrote to the food editor at the NY Times a couple of times about the situation, but nothing appeared there. Chowhound.com comes up dozens of times in a search on the site, so they have been interested in the past.

Have to shake your head at Leff’s quote:

“Die-hard Chowhounds have made do amid duress since the dawn of the site,” says Leff, the Chowhound co-founder. “Bad interfaces can be helpful; they filter out the Olive Garden set. The emigrés will make room for new blood, fresh perspectives and a new crop of chow tips. A bit of churn in a nearly 20-year-old online community might be a good thing.”

I guess we’re all “the Olive Garden set”… REALLY???

2 Likes

Pass me a breadstick😝

2 Likes

And let’s bat him in the head with it. :wink: HA HA HA.

1 Like

I just have to believe that he’s still getting $$$. Nothing else makes sense to me.

Yeah, “step away from the ham advertisement”…Kosher Board. Make room… Got a fresh perspective coming thru…along with tips!

Edit…this wasnt aimed at you, Midlife…you were just the closest to copy :wink:

I really can’t say that I knew enough about him to truly understand his possible motivation at this point, but some of the posts he’s made at CH in the past weeks have been puzzling to say the least.

His oft-repeated, beard-shaving analogy was driving me nuts. But, then again, I was born only a short bike ride away.

Honestly, though, I think he was a little wounded by the voluntary departures. The fact is many, myself included, were predominantly driven by the philosophical direction change from the course Jim had plotted. If CH weren’t his baby, I’d be surprised to see him sticking around.

That’s why you see all the spin. “We’re going to have to expel your child after shooting his teacher, Mr. Z. But, on the upside, your boy is one hell of a shot.”

1 Like

as a famous dude once said: “Follow the money.”

Yeah. I suppose. It’s just disappointing if he is doing this now for financial interest after having seemed so high-principaled in the past.

I would be very, very surprised if his current opinions are tied to a direct financial interest. I think it’s much more likely that there is a vested interest, but that it involves keeping CH alive for easier access to the material, for ties to the legacy and for continued interaction with folks who remember him and his role in putting food discussion on the map.

2 Likes

Well… considering how many people claim to have walked over philosophical/ethical issues, his current attitude (as I read it) seems diametrically opposed. You DID see where he referred to the ‘churn’ of users as getting rid of the Olive Garden set. Not very Chowish IMHO. He always used to define Chowhound as someone I didn’t feel worthy of because I occasionally get something at Subway or McDonalds.

1 Like

Honestly, I think he rationalizes a lot & likes to be “contrarian”. If it were financial, I really think he’d be more transparent about it. He just likes to be outside the box & be seen as the cowboy.

1 Like

I’ve been reading your conversation about another forum on ANOTHER forum and signed up, but don’t seen to be able to get the confirmation email to come through. Frustrating.

You mean Mouthfulsfood.com? If so, let me know & I’ll check for you.