Friends from the old playground............

That made me lol

I havenā€™t posted links, and when folks ask for them, I tell them that we are not permitted to post them. Has that changed recently? I also tell them I have an email in my profile, where I have added HOā€™s url.

1 Like

I more less poached you. I wanted to find out where the cool kids went out to play and came over.

I really think people that want to leave will do there best to look around for alternatives.

You poached who? You poached me? Iā€™ve been poached? How can someone be poached and not know it? No fair! I want a re-poach!!

Thread has been locked!

Meeow

Tom, you have such a great way with words. LOL

I can understand why Chowhound would want to block these threads. While it is a free worldā€¦etc, Chowhound does not have to abide that rule. It is a private site. Chowhound is not a site set up to discuss ā€œwhat other sites are better than us?ā€

This get back to one of my earlier points. If we start to produce real great informative threads, then there is nothing Chowhound can stop people from citing us.

Chad Ward wrote a really extensive knife sharpening thread on eGullet. If someone cites it, there is no way that Chowhound can take it down.

3 Likes

Another who wonders why and the same people who will tell them the new site is fine:

Iā€™m sure when the mods wake up theyā€™ll lock it with ā€œPlease notice that weā€™re gathering the new siteā€™s feedback hereā€¦ā€

1 Like

Of course if they are sufficiently bothered to check. I suspect that you could get away with creating a new persona sufficiently easily to ā€œdo the businessā€. Itā€™d be the same as starting over with a new username - something I did after my initial months of CH usage, simply because I no longer liked the original.

Useful tool though. On another board I use, we were able to confirm that a fraudster was, indeed, a fraudster and had been creating multiple identities with the intent to ā€œevidenceā€ what an honest trader he was. On the other hand, there was a trouble-maker (who I think probably had mental health issues) who would regularly create another identity once he had been banned under a previous ID. When the mods caught up with and started tracking the IP address, he started logging on from other locatons - generally libraries in his city.

Hereā€™s another thread string:

tamarw about 19 hours ago

Iā€™m here, but I pretty much read Chow on RSS only, and thereā€™s not been much for me to respond to.

That said, wow, these stats are really horribleā€¦ http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/chow.com

I guess it also made moderation harder, since usually threads like this get removed quickly. :slight_smile:

marssy about 19 hours ago

Please notice that websites like alexa are not accurate, as noted by Patsully here:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/chowhouā€¦

ā€œIā€™ve made sure to point this out before, but a friendly reminder that websites like this are always wildly inaccurate, but even more so after a re-design that changes domains.ā€

avitrek about 18 hours ago

Marssy, is there any publicly available data for number of posts/day or any other metric? Anecdotally it certainly appears like traffic has collapsed, but Iā€™m sure you have hard data used to track site performance.

Thanks.

marssy about 16 hours ago

Hi avitrek,

Weā€™re sorry, but we cannot share that information since it is confidential. Your understanding is much appreciated.

Wow. So ā€œThat info is wildly inaccurate but weā€™re not gonna tell you what the truth is!ā€

HAHA! And of course the thread was locked shortly thereafter.

1 Like

And the thread someone posted in Kosher where NotJ and I were trying to steer people out of CH and here was locked and ā€œconsolidatedā€ too. Lots of people were chiming in on that one!

I was just trying to give adviceā€¦oh wait Iā€™m NotJr, I donā€™t know what you and that guy were doing over there!!!

1 Like

Thats how little kids act, their always right, argue with little if any logic and then take their marbles and go home when confronted with the truth.

The thread you cite is still up, but itā€™s locked. Itā€™s one of the outer circles of the Dantean Hell CH has made for itselfā€¦

An emerging problem for them is that ā€œburyingā€ threads in this way only works if new traffic comes along to push them down the list. IOWs, these will increasingly become shallow gravesā€¦

1 Like

no one invited me to HO. i am a semi-regular poster on CH. but i read about the HO and the other rebel food site on nytimes so i came here. if the folks are interested in food community i am sure they will find their way here as i did. oh, and btw, no one here said hello to me. :smiley:

why does it have to be all or none? why such hard feelings against CH? i;m not fond of the new CH website but hey, stuff happens.

Hello!

2 Likes

Hello!!!

Iā€™m so sorry I was on break when you posted this. (Thatā€™s what they call it when they let me out of my cage to hose me & it down)

HELLO RITA!!! Welcome to Hungry Onion!!! Iā€™m honestly happy to see you here! Iā€™m sorry you didnā€™t receive a personal invitation but I think itā€™s super cool you heard about us and decided to come on board! Welcome again, take your shoes off and stay awhile!

DISCLAIMER

****Certain aspects of my statements above could be construed to indicate I have some official position within this site, I in fact do not. They are working on my meds to keep me in line. My apologies.