Freehold Update

Ramen Nagomi is open and busy. Did one Door Dash and one dine-in. I’m no ramen expert, but found the Tonkotsu good, if a little bland. I much preferred the Spicy Miso. I suspect this will become a part of my regular rotation based on my limited sampling.

4 Likes

I also visited Ramen Nagomi. We dined in. Inside of the restaurant is quite nice. We had the Chicken Karaage appetizer. It was fine but i like the one in other ramen place better (ie Rai Rai Ramen).
I had the Shoyu Ramen. The broth was light and tasty and the toppings (egg and pork belly) are good.

I also had a taste of Tonkotsu and the Burnt Garlic Tonkotsu broth. I think the Tonkotsu ones are better than the chicken based one I had.

All in all, while this is no IchiRan or Ippudo it is pretty safe to say it is one of the better ramen places in Monmonth County. It’s a great addition to Freehold and will definitely be in my rotation.

4 Likes

Been to Oyako Tso’s a couple times recently. Their Thai dishes are fantastic for the money, aside from the fact that we got chicken pieces in vegetarian orders.

Also their crazy rolls can be hit or mess and regular rolls are some times microscopic. Whatever you do, don’t order the King Spider roll.

2 Likes

Went to Ramen Nagomi around 6:15 last night and they were slammed. All full up and a 45 minute wait. Mostly young people there waiting.

A brisk walk up the street to Aarzu and they were super busy as well. got a table of course and had a fabulous dinner as always, but they were hoppin.

Good to see lots of folks out and about in town last night.

4 Likes

I am a denizen of the Freehold area and frequent many restaurants in town.
Over the years I have developed a habit ( bad?) of not making reservations.
I will admit prior to the pandemic going out on Friday or Saturday night was not in my playbook as I am crowd adverse.
I had houseguests this weekend and they wanted to stay local.
I wanted to eat at 8 pm & at 7 I had a premonition to check, Solo Trattoria, Cuzins, Osteria & 618 on Open Table for availability.Wow no available space for my party of 4 on a Friday in Freehold!!!
I hit up an old favorite, Lemon because of my previous relationship with Chef Ash.
Lucky for me he had availability & I was saved from take out dinner.
Is this the new normal? Is this the story is Red Bank? Asbury Park?
Are my walk in days over ? BTW the meal at Lemon was terrific & I recommend the Cioppino & the Bronzino!

3 Likes

Yes, we experience the same thing in Asbury. The days of sitting on the couch and thinking, “I feel like heading to wherever” and expecting to walk over and get a table are over, and have been over in Asbury Park for a couple of years.

2 Likes

Ramen Nagomi is walk in only, but as I mentioned, they were packed.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand–are these restaurants operating at a lower capacity, or what? I would think that even as people start returning to eating out, the numbers would would be smaller, not larger, than B.C. (Before Covid). So it should be easier to get a table. But it isn’t, so what am I missing?

I’ll guess staffing has not caught up to demand as at least part of the cause.

1 Like

That maybe, but in Freehold at least the restaurants are packed, especially on weekends. I haven’t experienced many issues dining out due to staffing issues other than inexperienced help like most front of the house staff.
I think most people are just excited that they can get out & are doing it In droves.

The restaurants I mentioned seem to be able to handle their crowds and even on a rainy weekday getting a table at a “ normal “ time is definitely an issue.
I like eating at the bar most of the time but prefer a table as I am usually going as a couple and bar space can sometimes cause awkward conversation especially at Cuzins or Osteria. 618 is packed 7 days a week from 6-8 pm and I am very happy with the service there.
Solo Trattoria is good for walk-in Mon -Wednesday, gets really busy from Thursday forward.
Tommy’s Tap Room is always busy after 5 pm. It’s really a pretty frustrating situation sometimes for me as I learn that I can’t just get up to go out to dinner on a whim anymore.

1 Like

I assure you that the restaurants in AP are empty during the week (this time of year). I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a chef/owner right now.

1 Like

Thanks that’s good to know, it’s time to start dining in Asbury for me again

1 Like

Good lunch at TKO Tacos today.
Carnitas and Steak tacos.
4 tacos each order, two corn tortillas for each tacos.

Also had a horchata and a jamaica for drinks.

10 Likes

I like that place

1 Like

I have lived in Freehold for almost 30 years, and we have a tradition of eating at Federici’s every Sunday during the warm months. Freehold isn’t a hot bed of food activity, but there are some decent places, and always good in a pinch if I don’t want to drive to Asbury, Long Branch, Red Bank, etc.

1 Like

You. Have. AARZU!!!

Seriously. It’s one of my favorites.

4 Likes

Little Bit of Cuba closed and now it has become an Indian restaurant called Saffron. I just drove by and it says it serves lunch buffet so I am certainly interested in checking it out one day.

3 Likes

That’s one way to compete with Aarzu

Yes, the fact that Saffron is open for lunch is a way to compete with Aarzu which is not. However, the most important factor in how successful they will be is how the food stacks up against what we all agree is Aarzu’s far from ordinary and seriously delicious cuisine.

3 Likes