Freehold Update

The salvadorian place Nancy’s has whole fish now. I will have to try one soon.

Fried mojarra…

IMG951764

3 Likes

Today a new Peruvian restaurant opened in the former Istanbul spot. So with Don Pepe right next door, that makes two Peruvian spots in a row. I’ve never seen that before but it is cool to see. I love Mexican food but I’m glad to see another nationality. Maybe the freehold food scene is trending, or at least changing, with the addition of Nancy’s. They don’t have a takeout menu, social media or a sign outside yet. They do not have a name either. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I forgot… the takeout menu should be out today. I want to try a “blind” taste test and try both chickens side by side (with the help of a friend or family member.) I’d like to see if I could clearly pick a winner without knowing which plate I was eating. I’ve never been to don pepe so this would be a clean comparison. I just want to go on taste and not know what each dish costs until I determine my favorite. The Peruvian chicken challenge.

3 Likes

[quote=“jsfein, post:1, topic:12329, full:true”]

6 Likes

I walked over to cvs and saw this last sign last night. It is the old Caribbean flavor location. I have never heard of this spot…

2 Likes

Federicis just got 8.8 from barstool. I imagine that will lead to some new business

2 Likes

That‘s a big score…

Yeah better than my favs Deninos, joe and pats, and Pete and eldas. Brooklyn square in Jackson got 9.1. Has anyone been there?

1 Like

I have and they are not bad, but not as good as Frankie Fed’s for round pies and not even close to Spumoni Gardens for the square.

Another restaurant opening on Main St in Freehold!

I have not been and not sure I will as I love The Greek Spot, but …

http://7guys.us/

1 Like

I went last month hoping to find something like Halal Guys. Would have loved if it was anything like Greek Spot. I thought it was pretty average and a buck or two too expensive on the mains. Won’t be replacing my occasional take out from Galata.

2 Likes

That’s some website for a place on par with The Greek Spot. @jsfein is that the actual dining room pictured on their site or is it just clip art?

1 Like

@NotJrvedivici I haven’t seen the website. It’s a tiny storefront. Think local pizza joint but with no dining room.

1 Like

From the link @seal provided. lol A.) That doesn’t look like shawarma but rather rodizio in the top pic, then the dining room below looks like it’s an upscale Fernandez type restaurant. This is why I was having a hard time picturing the menu vs. their pics.

1 Like

Went to Freehold Main Street for the first time in ages to pick up food from Don Pepe.
Couple doors down from Don Pepe looks like there is another new Peruvian Restaurant (used to be Ibby’s).

Across the street, next to the Texas Mexican restaurant, there is a sign saying Coming Soon - Ramen Nagomi. Did a little research and looks like they have an existing location in New Brunswick with decent Yelp rating.

https://www.ramennagomi.com/?fbclid=IwAR154SCPF7S70iMPva4fjM0-Eiy6mcDI6mnSapAhxMmiiITcrmUKXOY-ldk

3 Likes

To me, thete are several red flags:

• One has to go through a third-party delivery service.
  • There are no prices on the menu (possibly a function of the previous item).
  • “Artisanal” to me means more than humane farming practices.
  • Talking about the “presentation” of soup that is going to be put in a sealed container and jounced around seems … odd.

There is no indication of anything except delivery options.

1 Like

Speaking of Don Pepe’s, we picked up a Combo Don Pepe (whole chicken, Peruvian chicken fried rice, and salad) from their Jamesburg location on the way back from getting jab #2 in Monroe. For $25 total, we got 3 tasty meals for the two of us, plus a snack, with three cups of fried rice still left. (I think there were about eight cups to start with!)

I just wish I had thought to pick up some Inca Kola to have with it. :cry:

3 Likes

They are a regular sit down eat in restaurant. Like many places, the emphasis on pickup and delivery is a result of the pandemic.

I’m looking forward to trying them.

2 Likes

Here’s their yelp site, they have good reviews and indoor dining. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ramen-nagomi-new-brunswick

1 Like

I’ve been to the New Brunswick location on Bayard St. I took my ramen maven daughter there and we both enjoyed our meals. Knowing me, I probably had one of the tonkatsu broths but idk, it was a long time ago. The only reason I haven’t been back is that NB is a long way for noodles. I will definitely be trying the new spot!

3 Likes